Author Topic: Shout Out To All You Zoners!  (Read 2541 times)

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Shout Out To All You Zoners!
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:42:52 AM »
Been following some of the recent threads, and it got me thinking about the quality of this forum and the standards of its users.

Looking back I found some of my earlier posts which are from about 4 years ago.  My first sup was the 10’6 C4 Pohaku which I picked up used at a local bike shop.  At the time about 6 ½ yrs ago,  me showing up at our local surf break on a sup was somewhat of a novelty at least here in Fl anyway.

As I became more addicted I begin surfing the net in search of info on boards, paddles and misc. equip. Eventually I came across the Zone. As I recall, it felt like I’d struck gold. The wealth of information, and personal insights available from people like you, living in places all around the planet was as close as my PC.

Over the past 4 years my knowledge of this industry, be it the pioneers of the sport, the vast amount of equipment available and constantly evolving, or the seemingly endless places to experience the adventure of it has grown immensely due simply to the fact that you all are willing to share a piece of what has taken you all a lifetime to learn.    So here's a big Shout Out!

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shout Out To All You Zoners!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
Yeah me too
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
I agree... I'm sure it's how we all came.

4 years ago, I was not able to get answers locally, so I hit up Google and up popped the Zone.
Answers, stoke, more stoke and more answers.

Unbiased board and equipment information.... info relative to the evolution of the sport was taking place right here on these pages.

Friends, lots of real life, in person, friends came as a result of my time here.

Thanks Zoners.... keep up the good work (did I just say work?)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:22:08 AM »
Sometimes when I'm out on the water, I've caught myself realizing that everything I know about standup from gear to technique to what to wear or where to go, has come either from gorgebob and his shop next door to me, or here.  Even things as simple as how to balance on a boat wake.  Then there's all the weird, non-standup stuff that I never even knew existed or ever imagined I'd want to know...

Also feel like I could go almost anywhere in the world and know someone--have met several people from here in person and they're all great. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
This place has been such a huge part of an enormous change in my life. Pretty weird actually when I think about it. I came here to ask about building paddles and what happened? I reconnected with my brother, got my life back, met my best friend, made many, many others....some of whom I have yet to actually meet in person. The biggest thing...the CCBC in large part owes it's success to the zone. It was born here. Of the over $600,000 we've raised for charity I bet close to $200,000 is from zoners and the discussion of the CCBC here has more impact than any marketing we could ever do.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 11:10:34 PM »
Being a late starter to ocean sports and SUP (started at 62), I have certainly learned a lot here, kudos to those generous enough to share their experiences.

If you had told me two and a half years ago that I would be surfing, much less SUP, I would have said you were crazy.  It started as a daydream watching SUPs from the Santa Cruz pier, to an experiment, to something kind of mystical that has gotten me in shape and connected me to my body and the ocean in a way I could never have predicted. The journey continues.

However, my wife still thinks I am crazy.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:55:59 AM »
As someone who was a big windsurfer in the 80's, who got into SUP in the 10's, I have to say there is nothing else like the Zone out there for real user info, mixed with professional advice, along with the stoke+++.  I've been fortunate enough to paddle in Maui, California, Long Island, Long Beach Island, France, Scotland, Bali, Fiji, Thailand, and Hong Kong and  every SUP encounter has been good, and some great lifelong friends made. It is just awesome to see the same community online.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal