Author Topic: Is this just too much?  (Read 4781 times)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Is this just too much?
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:15 AM »
Some might think that I'm nuts for even thinking about this.....

I was out by the pier 5 in the morning, barely seeing waves coming and catching em, and I was thinking that this might work.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail/recordID/2690/

Has anyone tried headlamp to surf in the dark?

I'm thinking about securing it to my wetsuit hoodie.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is this just too much?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »
or am I asking to become big ass shark bait?

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »
No headlamp surfing.  Full moon yes.  Stadium lights in Costa Rica yes.

I'm more of a dawn patrol guy nowadays.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:24 AM »
I loved surfing in the dark the few times I've done it--in the light spill from Waikiki. I've never found anywhere in Maui with a break and enough light. I probably wouldn't do a headlamp, though sharks don't seem to be much attracted by light.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »
The bad think about a headlamp is that it only lights up a narrow space in front of you and it completely destroys your night vision.

You are better off surfing at night by ambient light or moonlight. I've done both. It's amazing how much you can see once your eyes get used to the dark.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
When there is a Red Tide sometimes there is a lot of electroluminescence..

A droplet makes a blue splash...Magical....

My kind of night surfing...

http://youtu.be/tQX3yK8aw3Y
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:32:00 AM by Sup-position »
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SUPdw

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
I worked in a photo lab in the '70's, developing sheet film by hand, 45minutes in complete darkness.  It is stunning how much you see after 20 minutes or so.   

Don't look at the moon or the lights on shore.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 02:07:21 PM »
I'd ditch the headlamp, won't let you see far enough to gauge the waves. It's tricky to avoid looking at anything bright, but you can see the waves just fine in the reflected light spill from the shore as long as you haven't looked at the shore lights. One night in Waikiki the waves were rolling in super clean and glassy, chest high, not a breath of wind. I was staying at the Surfrider, came over on the Ferry to pick up the Penetrator. Brought along my 10'11" Foote that I called the Gecko. I was having a beer in the bar after dark and looked out and saw surfers. Didn't finish my beer, just beelined for my board, which at the Surfrider is in a rack by the beach entrance. Stayed out surfing until three in the morning. Wonderful.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »
There is a group here that surf at night. We look for a clear night about one week before the full moon. This has the moon shinning on the face of the wave, full moons put if more overhead. I'd guess that different breaks are better with different moon phases.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »
I have done a bit of offshore paddling at night and it is pretty cool how much you can see without a light, and the phosphorescence that appears. I'm keen to try a night time downwinder, but have yet to find the right conditions to do it.. The key concern is debris taking out a fin / rudder..

...then of course there is always the LED suit... but I don't think anyone has figured out how to make a waterproof one..

http://youtu.be/EHV1bonXsk8
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »
Haven't surfed but have done a few moonlight paddles. Definitely light enough to surf if there had been swell.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »
Don't think I would do it in Sharky Waters..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
I am developing something that will allow you to sup surf at night.  It's not a head light though, those don't work well.  I tried my device a few days ago and it worked ok.  Visibility was limited but I was able to catch and ride waves. I'm going to add more power and try it again. 

It was interesting because thousands of bait fish followed me around    Kind of creepy and made me wonder if anything bigger and meaner might follow me too.  Gulp!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:29:22 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »
I don't think a head light will help.  The problem is seeing the sets before they break, not seeing the wave you are riding. White water is very easy to see.  Sometimes your fist clue an outside set is going to clean you out is a wall of white water magically appearing 50 feet out.

If you are looking for a way to mark your friends, try red chemical glow sticks.  Red will have the least impact on your low light accommodation (Think about those old submarine movies, they really would use red cabin light for night attacks)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 06:26:48 PM »
I did a mini downwinder at dusk this past week without any lights. It was dark as we ended up on the beach. I have to say the gradual loss of visibility really sharpened the senses, and I had to seriously concentrate. The main issue was being able to see what was happening ahead. It must be the peripheral vision that helps you balance which is severely impaired due to the darkness. I could almost feel my focus being narrowed to a small area in front on the board. Still a lot of fun but I can't imagine doing a complete downwinder in the dark.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal