Author Topic: Garmin Heart rate monitor stops working after falling in  (Read 1814 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Garmin Heart rate monitor stops working after falling in
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:29:02 AM »
My Garmin heart rate monitor works great with my Garmin XT910 but as soon as I fall in (seawater) it stops working. I've read that it should restart working after getting out of the water as this was designed for triathletes, and mine did for a while. But 3 months later it does not restart after the first fall. I wonder if anyone has found this problem and has a fix. As you can see here there is a little discolouration on one of the terminals
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

komsup

• Waikiki Status
  • >40 - 5'10 - 70kg
    • View Profile
Re: Garmin Heart rate monitor stops working after falling in
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 04:18:36 AM »
same problem with my 310! I"d be interested to read what others have to comment/add
Starboard Drive 10'5
SIC Bullet 17'4
Coreban Dart pro
Coreban alpha 12'6
previously Naish Mana 10', Fanatic Fly 14, Naish Hokua 9'3, Coreban Dart, Naish Glide 14 v2, Coreban lithium... & i still haven't found what i'm looking for...

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 05:35:09 AM »
I had same issue after washing it off.  Wouldn't pick up at all.  Fixed it by replacing the battery.  I think it is really dependent on voltage and as the batteries drain it won't connect.  When I used my 99 cent battery tester, it said the battery was still good but it, apparently, wasn't good enough.  I bought a strip of cheap noname batteries that wouldn't work at all.  I had to get a fresh energizer. 

Good news is that Garmin sent me a replacement because I thought it had failed and now I have a spare.

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 07:45:42 AM »
It should work. I have used the same watch in many triathlons and now use it for SUP, and even after the fall in water it still works as soon as i am out of the water. I think you should try and clean the terminals and possibly replace the battery.
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

SUPdw

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
I have exactly the same problem.  Garmin has been nice  (2 replacements) but ... still the same problem.  I have seen a number of surf-ski and oc1 paddlers here around MDR who have the HRM1 (large hard plastic xmitter) all report no problems even when completely soaked.  My 910xt came w/ HRM 2 stopped working when wet, they replaced it with a new strap(no help), then they replaced it with HRM3,  same results.  I got tired of fighting my HRM so I gave up.  If I want my heart rate,  I don't fall in. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal