Author Topic: marvin  (Read 3171 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
marvin
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »

So, I'm officially bored out of my skull. tired of working on the new book, Diane is in Portland, even the dog is gone. So I spent the afternoon making this. the final piece will be a Marvin the Martian-style curved brush over the helmet. the wings came out pretty good for freehand.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:26:25 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: marvin
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
Ready for Halloween on the waves!
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
Does it have a neck brace to keep you from snapping your neck at high speeds?

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
Looks great.

But did you really make those wings from scratch, or just buy a couple aluminum SUP fins from Singapore and put them behind the helmet?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »
If we don't get to Maui pretty quick (12 days and a wakeup) the Big Dong signature model may fester itself into life.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
Went through Hood River last week.  Totally socked in with rain and mist.  By the time I was halfway up to Underwood, you could no longer see the water, or for that matter anything more than a hundred yards ahead.  Totally different place than last time I was there (Naish race).  Actually was prettier to me than in summer, but I know others (in Mosier) who said the fog/mist/rain/clouds can really get to some people after awhile, and it's unexpected, since people think that stuff is supposed to stay west, in Portland.  It does seem like the kind of setting that could eventually lead to TV binging, serial killing, building aluminum paddleboards, etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »
Oh man, it looks like Diane locked you in the Airstream, put it out in the rain and left. What did you do to get in so much trouble? Marcia locked me in our Airstream summer before last, but I snuck out and went paddling. Too much aluminum exposure causes dementia, so I've read. I really can't remember.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:49:00 PM by covesurfer »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
It's more or less a voluntary exile. I don't do well when I can't get in the water. I actually went to see a movie last night, and watched some television tonight. The movie was good (Fury), the television was horrible. It actually drove me back upstairs to do some work. Wasn't quite hideous enough to make me clean the kitchen and do the dishes, but close.

I've more or less perfected my technique for building ultralight aluminum parts. I'm going to replace the wood shelves in the Airstream with ultralight aluminum structures, like the inside of a dirigible. That entire helmet holder weighs a little under three ounces. I made two brackets and a shelf today that held 155 pounds before it failed--the shelf and brackets weighed 4.4 ounces. It went suddenly, missed my toe by an inch.

I'm picturing the big dong signature model coming in at five pounds for a 8' X 32", though I'd need to add some carbon to the deck to keep it from denting between the ribs.

I might just be crazy enough to do this. I've wanted a reason to learn to do flush rivets, this could be the reason.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 05:31:48 AM »
Reminds me of a certain ornament behind a bar in P'town..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 05:58:05 AM »
I want to see the brush go on.
Perhaps a propane tank ornament/cover for that Airstream it is in.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 06:04:23 AM »
It's more or less a voluntary exile. I don't do well when I can't get in the water. I actually went to see a movie last night, and watched some television tonight. The movie was good (Fury), the television was horrible. It actually drove me back upstairs to do some work. Wasn't quite hideous enough to make me clean the kitchen and do the dishes, but close.

I've more or less perfected my technique for building ultralight aluminum parts. I'm going to replace the wood shelves in the Airstream with ultralight aluminum structures, like the inside of a dirigible. That entire helmet holder weighs a little under three ounces. I made two brackets and a shelf today that held 155 pounds before it failed--the shelf and brackets weighed 4.4 ounces. It went suddenly, missed my toe by an inch.

I'm picturing the big dong signature model coming in at five pounds for a 8' X 32", though I'd need to add some carbon to the deck to keep it from denting between the ribs.

I might just be crazy enough to do this. I've wanted a reason to learn to do flush rivets, this could be the reason.

I'm with you on that; I can't stand watching television.  Can't find anything that will keep my attention for an hour.  Gotta be doing something, not a passive kind of person, I suppose. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal