Poll

How do your boots / booties / water shoe / wetshoe for cold weather fit?

Ultra snug, my toes are reshaping the neoprene.
0 (0%)
Flush against the flesh, nothing comes between me and my neoprene.
3 (37.5%)
Teeny bit of room, I *might* get a sock in there if I need to.
4 (50%)
Snug if I wear a sock, not too roomy if I don't.
1 (12.5%)
Room to add a sock, or two.
0 (0%)
Other (I'll explain in a post below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 21, 2015, 01:56:45 PM

Author Topic: Boot / Bootie / Water Shoe / Wetshoe Fit (cold weather)  (Read 1731 times)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Boot / Bootie / Water Shoe / Wetshoe Fit (cold weather)
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm researching booties and thought I'd poll the Zone about their cold-weather wear. I tried to come up with a lot of options, but if none of my descriptions fit (no pun intended), please choose "other" and post to the thread.

FYI, there's plenty of time to vote but the poll does have an end date.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boot / Bootie / Water Shoe / Wetshoe Fit (cold weather)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:33:07 AM »
For me no split toe.

Other than that booties in the winter and shoe bootie in the summer and bootie all the time.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »
Marilyn,

The "bootie" question depend on how cold you wanna go here are the best options I've found (in over 40 yrs in COLD water)

#1 FORGET SPIT TOES
#2 if you are talking about water 50F+ the snug fit works
#3 If you are talking about paddling in slush to below 50F having space for a sock is good

So bootie suggestions that I know work

Good round toe booties 3mm/5mm/7mm (THK depens on how cold you wanna go)

Hyperflex AMP 3 (you need the support of the strap on this booties) The foot platform is thin (better feel)
My suggestion here is the SUPreme 5mm Powerphase

Then there is "Creeks" favorite and to be honest I REALLY like these Henderson Hitop Zipper boot (definitely 5mm or 7mm) SUPER EASY TO GET ON, Plenty warm with no leaking The Foot base is a bit thicker to give you support (sure footing) w/o a strap I use these in the surf all winter

For ULTIMATE WARMTH (FLATWATER ONLY) Henderson Explorer BOOTS Definite fit with a little room for a sock (or 2) BEST DAM FLATWATER BOOTS EVER. But you gotta keep swimming to a minimum I tested these (swimming wise) last weekend (OK I wasn't exactly brave since the water temp at our beach in front of the shop was 67F) and I found that there was slow seepage and it took over 30 mins of complete submersion swimming action to fill them up that I felt they had become a swimming hinderance

So that is my position on coldwater boots but don't we have to figure out a wetsuit too

Give me a call 484 515 5758

Talk to you soon
JimK

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »
#1 FORGET SPIT TOES
#2 if you are talking about water 50F+ the snug fit works
#3 If you are talking about paddling in slush to below 50F having space for a sock is good

#1 They've never appealed. I've worn tabi in my time and I did NOT like them.

#2 Frankly, I'm not sure. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I can't find water temperatures for the two places I visit the most: the Navesink and Round Valley Reservoir. I don't think either is below 50F, but I can confirm the water at Round Valley was DAMN cold this past weekend. Spruce Run Reservoir, which is less than 6 miles as the crow flies, had a reported temperature of about 58F/14.5C

#3 I don't think I would because no one around my neck of the woods seems to be interested and I wouldn't do it alone. Not to mention, I lack the appropriate gear.

So bootie suggestions that I know work

Good round toe booties 3mm/5mm/7mm (THK depens on how cold you wanna go)

Hyperflex AMP 3 (you need the support of the strap on this booties) The foot platform is thin (better feel)
My suggestion here is the SUPreme 5mm Powerphase

??? I have the SUPreme Powerphase boot (I got it from you the day of the beach cleanup), but it's only 2mm. I'm not much of a fan (FLOODS way too easy IMHO) so I don't have much interest in a 5mm version.

Then there is "Creeks" favorite and to be honest I REALLY like these Henderson Hitop Zipper boot (definitely 5mm or 7mm) SUPER EASY TO GET ON, Plenty warm with no leaking The Foot base is a bit thicker to give you support (sure footing) w/o a strap I use these in the surf all winter

These look promising. They're very similar to my current cool weather stopgap: the NRS Paddle Wetshoe; GREAT shoe, but not nearly warm enough for me in late October in NJ.

For ULTIMATE WARMTH (FLATWATER ONLY) Henderson Explorer BOOTS Definite fit with a little room for a sock (or 2) BEST DAM FLATWATER BOOTS EVER. But you gotta keep swimming to a minimum I tested these (swimming wise) last weekend (OK I wasn't exactly brave since the water temp at our beach in front of the shop was 67F) and I found that there was slow seepage and it took over 30 mins of complete submersion swimming action to fill them up that I felt they had become a swimming hinderance

Tried these.  :( During an ankle deep (yes, flatwater) test, they  started filling with water in under 30 seconds. I thought it was because I fall through the sizing cracks of the entire Henderson / Neosport / SUPreme line—things are too small or too large—but hubby, who thought his boot fit "perfectly" experienced the same quick leakage. 

So that is my position on coldwater boots but don't we have to figure out a wetsuit too
Yes, sort of… I added a 3mm Jane to my closet thinking I'd need it for late September. I didn't, the last time the group went out—9/29?—it was still warm enough for shorts. (I should have worn it this past Saturday—10/25—but opted instead for my 2mm pants and a l/s swimshirt/light jacket combo, i.e. BAD.CHOICE.) Optimistically, it's a question of whether I should get just a top to layer over the jane, or if I should look for a complete cold weather suit (which will be a nightmare given past experience). Realistically, everyone around me is quickly losing their taste for water-based activity, so buying cold weather gear might be a big waste. :-\
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal