Author Topic: Orleans Surf Film Festival Oct 24 & 25 - Be there!!!  (Read 3990 times)

supthecreek

Orleans Surf Film Festival Oct 24 & 25 - Be there!!!
« on: October 23, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
Any Zoners in the area.... make surf to come to this event!!!

I took my offering over tonight, and lingered for over an hour.... so much too see.

If you are new to the surf zone, you really need to come learn the colorful and unique surf history that runs deep on Cape Cod.

One thing that is immediately noticeable is the respect the younger generations give to the old guard... it is very cool to see. They come up with a smile and a handshake, wanting to talk story. Very nice connection with the hot young crew. As SUPers.... it would be a good connection to make.

When I started surfing, I absorbed everything I could, about those who came before me. They were legends.... the guys that created the surf scene. Their personalities are what steered and honed the classic surf culture. Guys like Dora and Velzy, Blake, Noll, Edwards, the Duke..... they are surfing. What they did matters, and it's important to understand the paths they forged.

Cape surf history is what directed the surf scene locally, and is interesting to see, all in one place.

The music and surf films are cool as well and well selected. There will be classics and surprises. Last year, I never made it passed the lobby and the bar.... too many great conversations and tales to hear.

Please come.
"Jailhouse Tavern" - Conference room...West Road, Orleans, Ma....Doors open at 5:30 both nights

Facebook link to event:
http://www.facebook.com/events/1461027820843568/?notif_t=plan_edited

supthecreek

Re: Orleans Surf Film Festival Oct 24 & 25 - Be there!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:03:32 AM »
Bump.... it's tonight folks :)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:22:32 AM »
I wish I were closer, it sounds like a great event!  I really dug the Endless Abilities trailer in the facebook post.
http://www.facebook.com/events/1461027820843568/?notif_t=plan_edited

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 07:13:47 AM »
I'm bummed to be missing out on the local nostalgia. Up in VT till Sunday. Look forward to some pics/recap.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:44:07 AM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25:39 PM »
Can't make it this year. I went 3 or 4 years ago and it was a blast. Lot's of great people.
Bunch of old shit

supthecreek

Re: Orleans Surf Film Festival Oct 25 - UPDATE pics, vids
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
Last night was a blast!!

GREAT movies.... classic Dan Merkle documentary, local Mini Groms, other interesting stuff..

Awesome displays.... tons of people, Zoners, hot chicks.... you know... a real surf nite out.

MORE tonight.... make the drive. Do NOT miss it.

Both of my beautiful daughters accompanied me, so I was in heaven.

Great Surf Band tonight, plus lots of Raffle stuff..... come join us !!!!

My buddy, Robby "the Ripper" Goodwin was featured in a short video.... he's 10 years old, and tiny. Absolutely shreds.
Robby surfs the SUP peak every day with the old dudes. Nicest person in the water, friendly, respectful.... just a blast to hang out with and watch him surf.
His dad or mom drive him 30 miles every day, to hang at the beach while he surfs.... his dad Rob (great surfer) teaches him the whole watermen routine with heavy emphasis on line-up respect. Heres his video... Rob shot it at the SUP peak this summer.

supthecreek

Last night... get going!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Bump... last day... gonna be fun!

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 05:58:22 AM »
Yup... great time this weekend. Met a lot of Creek's old surfing buddies from back in the day. Got to listen in on some of their stories. Ran into some old friends myself from my windsurf days.

One of my old windsurf buddies who I haven't seen in ages who happens to be an artist told me this story last night in the lobby. He said he was surfing one day and was watching this guy catch bomb after bomb until finally a wave closed out and nailed him in the ribs. He said that's it the guy is done but nope he went back out for more.

He was so impressed with his surfing style, attitude, everything that he went home and painted a picture the surfer. Problem is he couldn't find the surfer for years to give him the painting until last night (Fri) when he happened to run into him in the lobby. My friend told me he brought the painting with him tonight( (sat) to give it to him. I said let's see the painting so he showed it to me and I said hey that's Creek!. He goes who??? Rick Weeks, that's Rick Weeks, he goes yeah I have been looking for him for years you know him? lol... we both started laughing and go, yeah, afraid so. (kidding Rick)  ;D

That was just one of many stories of friends running into old friends this weekend. It was a great time can't wait until next year.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »
Weed, I think I've seen that painting too:
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:59:12 AM »
Leash?? .... I don't need no stinking leash!

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »
lol... now a days it's more like I forgot my shark repellent. ;D

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
Man, Am I blessed –

I got the triple play this weekend! No not the phone-internet-cable way; but surf in 3 flavors!

A beautiful Saturday afternoon of standup surf.

A fantastic Saturday night seeing friends at the 2nd annual Surf Festival.  Having my wife and son enjoy meeting many of the local crew was icing on the cake. That was one hop’n place for quiet old Cape Cod last night.

Then a late Sunday afternoon windsurf session in arm-ripping 5.0 conditions capped it off.  Right down the street from last night’s Jailhouse Restaurant.

I’ll be OK going back to work tomorrow.
RC
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:24:28 PM by ron.c »

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »
Yes indeed fun night got to meet Ron's lovely wife and son. Another bonus for Ron is his son is interested in photography who is actually making money doing a few side jobs. Who knows there may be a surf photographer in the making.  :D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
Wish i could have made it down. Went out Sat night with the girls and a bunch of their friends to celebrate Jacqui's birthday. Danced so hard and so long i was crippled on Sun.... ::)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard