Author Topic: The only way to get good at getting thru white water?  (Read 13816 times)

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: The only way to get good at getting thru white water?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 08:58:13 AM »
Usually I get hit in the face by the board, fall off and hope the leash holds, or butt bounce on the tail and get a shooting pain in the rear.

kook.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
I am new to your Forum and to the SUP/SUS sport.   
Thanks for the thread, very helpful. 
I live in San Francisco, tried to go out at Ocean Beach on what I thought was a mellow day, but got smacked enough by the waves and the board, I now view the SUS videos with much more respect. 
I went to Pacifica yesterday and found it still a challenge to get over the whitewash, but made it.  Paddled over a couple of small whitewash.  Larger waves, I found it easier to get off the board, hold the tail at the leash attachment, and duck dive and drag the board.  Now to catch the waves! 

I don't think there is such a thing as a "mellow day" at Ocean Beach.  That is a freaking scary place.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »
I agree. I'm always hoping to see how they punch through waves in surf sup videos but that stuff always gets edited out.

Getting out is THE thing In SUS. I want to see that in video's more than the ride. 
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 10:30:04 AM »
Yup, and it helps a lot that Kai is ready for the white water cuz he paddles with a full-on surfing stance. Paddling in a surf stance is something I need to work on. Thanks for sharing that video.

Simple, do what Kai does.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mSm-HKVVno
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:32:24 AM by magentawave »

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
Can you do the "duck dive" or "duck crash thru the wall" technique with a Simsup?

feels like you need one of those pointy nosed/not much volume on the nose SUP board.

Also that technique is not gonna work anything over head high wave. Wave will just crush you on to the deck.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
I can "duck crash" (good term!) sometimes through small waves up to maybe 3' on my simsup but I'm sure punching through would be a lot easier with pointier boards. I learned the hard way that the key is to tuck your head down.

Can you do the "duck dive" or "duck crash thru the wall" technique with a Simsup?

feels like you need one of those pointy nosed/not much volume on the nose SUP board.

Also that technique is not gonna work anything over head high wave. Wave will just crush you on to the deck.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »
Thanks Kayakdogg.  That vid is a SUP lesson for me.  Gonna watch it a bunch of times and try doing that. 

I can do that OK.  My problem is getting past a pitching lip.  On a prone board you duck dive through it.  On a SUP, I'm not sure what you do.  I know what I do; I usually eat it.  Most local guys I see just bail when they face a pitching lip.  I'd like to find a way to get through it.

Simple, do what Kai does.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mSm-HKVVno

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:49:34 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 06:50:35 AM »
Boy Ocean Beach will POUND you. That should be a good place for getting good.

Its all about attitude, practice, technique, persistence and knowing when to wait. Try not to paddle
out thru the sets by waiting inside until the coast is clear and then put the pedal to the metal. I really
do enjoy the challenge paddling out can present. It allows me to be ME!

When I am really getting pounded I resort to prone paddling skills I accumulated with over 50 years of surfing.
A tail handle is not in my bag of tricks because I don't need it.

Just keep surfing because all the conditions you face come with time in the water and you will figure out what
works best for you. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »
Mo also does that little whole body "duck dive".....

http://youtu.be/EpM2lC67cok?t=2m11s
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
Hell, even I do that, though the end result doesn't look quite the same. If I know I'm gonna get pasted I hunker down as low as I can with my front foot extended to keep the board out of my teeth. Let it hit you. Get back up, find your hat, and get going again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Mo also does that little whole body "duck dive".....

http://youtu.be/EpM2lC67cok?t=2m11s

I wish someone would get an underwater shot of one of these, I'd like to see the mechanics involved.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »
Hell, even I do that, though the end result doesn't look quite the same. If I know I'm gonna get pasted I hunker down as low as I can with my front foot extended to keep the board out of my teeth. Let it hit you. Get back up, find your hat, and get going again.
Kai, Mo, Pono....hard to tell of 'em all apart.  :P :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
Kai, Mo, Pono....hard to tell of 'em all apart.  :P :D

They are shorter and have dark hair.

I'm roughly twice their size in every dimension and have pink and white hair. It's not really pink, but it looks like that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:00:41 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »
One thing is the nose of your board. If you have a pointy thin nose, you can maybe drive it through some waves, if its a wide thick nose, it will take the full force of the wave and be pushed up, maybe into your face.  With practice you'll gain some knowledge as to if the wave will push the board nose up, if it can be pierced, or if you are just shit out of luck.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing while surfing last Friday on my L41 S3 in that a narrower board with a pointier nose would have a lot less area for the breaking lip to smash down on.

One thing is the nose of your board. If you have a pointy thin nose, you can maybe drive it through some waves, if its a wide thick nose, it will take the full force of the wave and be pushed up, maybe into your face.  With practice you'll gain some knowledge as to if the wave will push the board nose up, if it can be pierced, or if you are just shit out of luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal