Author Topic: The only way to get good at getting thru white water?  (Read 13817 times)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
The only way to get good at getting thru white water?
« on: October 23, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
Stupid question but, getting better at punching thru white water is to practice in a whitewash?

or do you guys find yourself magically get better without spending hours in whitewash?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: The only way to get good at getting thru white water?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »
Yes and nope......

Best practice...go out in short period windswell and just work at it...don't even bother surfing...just fight the wash. It's a crushing workout but the close repetition lets learning happen faster. Then you need to practice on longer period more powerful waves....whole different animal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:44:03 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
Best practice...go out in short period windswell and just work at it...don't even bother surfing...just fight the wash. It's a crushing workout but the close repetition lets learning happen faster. Then you need to practice on longer period more powerful waves....whole different animal.

Also go out on a few different boards as that will also help.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »
Yes and nope......

Then you need to practice on longer period more powerful waves....whole different animal.

Especially with a brisk off shore.  That's a fun game of chicken. Will it break, won't it break.  Getting out is THE thing In SUS. I want to see that in video's more than the ride. 

For me. Surf stance, then Olie the board over the wash, while taking a big stab with the paddle and thrust your hips forward, but stop the paddle stroke when even with your feet and do a stab brace when you clear the top.  Keeps you from falling forward.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »
do you guys find yourself magically get better without spending hours in whitewash?

Whatever works for you and is most comfortable.
StoneAxe and PDLSRF do spend a lot of time in whitewash, but those guys like to push the fashion envelope a wee bit...

Personally, I prefer a wetsuit.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
There's a couple of things to pay attention to. If you're falling on your paddle side--most newbs do) it's because you're pulling yourself off balance. People forget a proper stroke as soon as they get excited. You see the same thing in catching waves. Reach way out, over the edge, Plant your paddle and give a sharp pull. Unweight your feet (ollie) but be ready to brace your front foot is the board kicks. Also be ready to block the board with your forearm if that isn't enough. Make sure you are not pulling past your feet. The turbulence is bad enough without shoveling water and yanking yourself sideways. It's fine to brace back or to the side, but don't apply power aiming to push yourself forward. Reach way out and stroke short again.

The toughest part is the turbulence after the wave passes. Bend your knees, stay low, and brace. Then reach and go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »
You don't really punch through the whitewater.  You push down with your back foot as your nose touches the whitewater, then you push down with your front foot and shift your weight forward as you reach the top.  That way you pop over it.  This has to be done while taking a stroke.  Then, as PB says, stay low until some of the turbulence clears.

I can do that OK.  My problem is getting past a pitching lip.  On a prone board you duck dive through it.  On a SUP, I'm not sure what you do.  I know what I do; I usually eat it.  Most local guys I see just bail when they face a pitching lip.  I'd like to find a way to get through it. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:35:03 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
On thing I've found helpful if it's either a small row of whitewater or a larger wave that in about to break is instead of lifting the nose, take a couple power strokes and push the nose THROUGH the wave. If you keep the whitewater at just above knee level or lower you can just go through it. I've seen pro's push their WHOLE BODY through the wave.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
I feel like I have to get comfortable at paddeling around in semi-surf stance before trying climbing over.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »
I feel like I have to get comfortable at paddeling around in semi-surf stance before trying climbing over.

Yes, absolutely. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:41:05 PM »
I can do that OK.  My problem is getting past a pitching lip.  On a prone board you duck dive through it.  On a SUP, I'm not sure what you do.  I know what I do; I usually eat it.  Most local guys I see just bail when they face a pitching lip.  I'd like to find a way to get through it.

Simple, do what Kai does.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mSm-HKVVno

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »
That's what I do, don't you guys?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 09:06:17 PM »
For pitching lips, you can try to jam over it, same as whitewater, or spin around, drop and grab the tail handle. but if it's too big and too late for that, then kick your board over and fall backwards into the face. If your board is on the other side of the wave the rinse cycle isn't that bad.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
Santa Cruz has been having some days of nearly endless short period sets, so white water practice has been on the agenda.  I have gotten pretty good at getting over about three out of four. However, when the sets go on forever, you are still going to wind up in the drink unless you are good for at least 10 to 12 successive wave fronts. I am very successful at knee paddling over them so far.

A lot of the success seems to be judging the right place and direction to hit the white water, there is usually a sweet spot for each front. Also, I have found that after planting the paddle in the white water and skating over, it helps to plant the paddle again and even reverse paddle (on the right for me) to stabilize the rails and keep the board  going straight.

White water practice can actually be fun up to a point, and have also wound up doing a bit of backward surfing.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Rakky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »
I am new to your Forum and to the SUP/SUS sport.   
Thanks for the thread, very helpful. 
I live in San Francisco, tried to go out at Ocean Beach on what I thought was a mellow day, but got smacked enough by the waves and the board, I now view the SUS videos with much more respect. 
I went to Pacifica yesterday and found it still a challenge to get over the whitewash, but made it.  Paddled over a couple of small whitewash.  Larger waves, I found it easier to get off the board, hold the tail at the leash attachment, and duck dive and drag the board.  Now to catch the waves! 
Starboard widepoint 8'10. 
I'm 5'11 and 185 = high BMI

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal