Author Topic: His last session  (Read 2728 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
His last session
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:43:52 AM »
Swimming started early in our family and I was half decent by the time I was 5 or 6, thanks to hours in the pool with my dad.  My more athletic younger brother was a fish at 9 months and diving at a year.  I learned to body surf at 8 years old, taught the basics by my dad.  I learned to surf at 13, going with my dad and one of his pressmen at the print shop that was lifelong surf dog.  Along the way I learned play a bit of basketball in the Pasadena Y leagues (shout out to Michael Cooper) coached by… you guessed it.  The ball handling helped out a bunch when I switched my main sport focus to water polo which I made a half decent college career out of.  I have since watched my own son take it up, become an all-zone defender, and coach a bit after high school.  My life in the water, love of sports, whatever coordination I possess and competitive spirit come mainly from one source.   My father passed at the ripe old age of 89, a week after a massive stroke.

The sixth of seven kids of Serbian immigrants, my father was not a genius, a captain of industry, a saint or even all that lucky.  He was however, part of the greatest generation and fought in WWII in France and Germany.  As he tells it, he was there to see the sights, not get shot, and eat the delicious military rations (a big upgrade for him).  He ended his military career in England where he met my sister’s mom and started a family.  He played rugby, soccer, basketball, squash, handball, baseball and whatever else he could get in, wherever he found himself.  He turned down offers to play basketball for Illinois and North Carolina to join the army (this goes back to the “not genius” comment).   He was our 67 year old pitcher on the city co-ed softball team, having to hit a triple just to have enough time to get to first. He played sports all his life and still went swimming regularly all the way until the end.

One of his most vivid memories was his one wave on my first surfboard.  I remember his stupid grin like it was 5 minutes ago.

My brother, wife and I spread his ashes at sea at the beginning of this month near my brother's alma mater.  It would be rare to find a more beautiful day and location.  After we paddled out, we spent the day with our daughters and wives, surfing, paddling and passing it on.  We had a similar day with my son and wonderful English nephew during his visit in March.

Rest at peace George, and just look at what you’ve started.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: His last session
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »
Great tribute, Slatch.

Peace and comfort to you and yours.  Looked like a great day for the paddle-out.

Bittersweet year for dads--lost mine in February.

Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:14:16 AM »
Late Fragment

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.

-Raymond Carver

Great tribute. Peace be with you.

Jorge
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »
Wonderful. Perfect thoughts to celebrate your Dad's life.

Quite a life that your Dad lived. He saw a lot of changes in the world.... changes that guys like him made possible. I am sure that you and the rest of your family were the best results he could have hoped for. Kudos George... your life was well spent.

Warm thoughts for you Jim, and all your friends and family.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:27:26 PM »
There's nothing more important that a Dad can be than a good example.

Rest in peace George.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 06:58:28 AM »
May you remember his first wave forever. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »
Wonderful tribute to your Dad, SJ and my condolences on your loss.  My Dad was also a WWII vet, I've lost him, my Mother and little brother in the last 3 years, so I know how it feels.  Cherish the memories.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »
Beautiful reflections of your memories of a beautiful man, mentor, and most importantly father.

You are blessed to have been able to share so many things with your dad, and forge so many lasting memories, something that everyone should be able to say, but aren't always as fortunate.

Condolences to you and yours, and know that he's there with you on every wave you're on.

RIP George, you done good. 
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal