Author Topic: Fighting off Tiger Shark  (Read 5850 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Fighting off Tiger Shark
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fighting off Tiger Shark
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »
Shit, first thing people do is call me when it happens.  But you know our crew has been out there so many times.  We see 'em. JR and I saw one freaking jump last year.  Yeah we paddled in.  PBill acts tough but he sure wanted to get back on his board in a hurry the day I grabbed his board.

The guy who runs the wine store just around from my house just recounted his bite off Paia where I live.  Said it felt like it just rubbed along his ankle with little pressure, almost a caress,  yet it was incinerated when he checked.  He also saw the shark and it was tres grande.  Then it disappeared and he said that was the worst, swimming in around 200 yds looking around every few feet, totally freaked out.

This guy grew up on the streets of Philly and knew how to handle danger when he could use his long legs but felt helpless out in the water... and slow, very slow.

So far just boards.  Strange huh?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:45 PM »
Yeah, dont tell headmout, i never would, except i can't resist seeing him look like alphalfa on spanky and our gang.  Im not tough. I just know an apex predetor when i see one. Its like being afraid of a bus.  Yes, if one hits you there's gonna be a big ponopuddle. Not worth worrying about. Force o' nature. End of story.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:03:25 AM »
There's a big difference between a glimpse of Count Bassie swimming nearby and being actively investigated. I've been surprisingly ok with my half dozen or so sightings on both sides of Maui over the past year. In every instance, the sharks I saw had no interest in me. I say 'surprisingly ok' because I consider myself pretty afraid of what sharks can do. But, I get by because I tell myself, they aren't interested in me and indeed they weren't each time I've seen them.

Every one of those sightings left me kind of charged up and feeling like I'd been lucky enough to see the ocean's top predator. It's like seeing a polar bear in the frozen north, pretty awe inspiring. Getting chased by the polar bear? That's a whole different thing.

Three biting investigations in less than a week, by hefty sized sharks (10 to 14 feet) is scary to think about when you're out on or in the water. Hell, it's scary when I'm sitting on dry land! And it kind of shoots my whole coping strategy to hell. I guess they do get interested in standup boards.

The incident at Maalaea is pretty amazing on many levels. I'd written that off to murky, storm charged water and a passing hurricane stirring up the ocean. And, those guys were IN the water surfing, not paddling around on standups. But, then we had a standup board get bitten in the harbor on Monday and another on the south side today.

I hope to NEVER have to find out if I can successfully discourage a shark that's interested in me and/or whatever I'm paddling that day. But, I've often thought about it. It's just that the reality would be so different.

Pono Bill's standard shark warning usually is him yelling, "hey Gregg, don't fall in right now".  I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty sure he's just trying to scare the crap out of me. Quote from PB: "I can't resist seeing him look like alphalfa on spanky and our gang." Exactly.

I think PB loves to give a good shark scare. I make it a point to act like I'm not that concerned about it and that's, of course, only an act. But, I don't want to ever give Bill the satisfaction of seeing me register actual fear. So Bill, if you're reading this, I'll keep doing my best to fake being nonplussed by your shark stories. ;D

In an OC1, it wouldn't take much to crack open the ama and then you're in the water. I actually feel safer on my board, at least it should keep floating, even with a mouthful removed! Here's to looking forward to clear waters and less aggressive landlords after Sharktober is over.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:45:19 AM »

/ JR and I saw one freaking jump last year. /

I saw one jump yesterday morning, just at the inside of the harbor entrance.  I looked at the others to see if they saw it, but they were downhill too far.  It was far enough away from everyone and the waves were so perfect, I didn't mention it.

Cove showed up about a half hour later.  He's the last one I'd mention it too.  He's mentioned sharks on downwind runs when he sees fish jump.  Oh please. 

It's the ocean.  If you stick your finger in the water and it tastes salty, there are sharks in there.  Fish jump when they hear us coming.  Maybe another fish is chasing them.  It's extremely unlikely that a bit of action on the surface means any type of danger from sharks. 

They don't care about us.  If they did, we would not be out there.   
Support your local shaper

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:56:37 AM »
Dat sum crazy new kina  Epoxie
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:33 AM »
Pregnant female tiger sharks migrate to the Hawai'ian islands to give birth between late September and December. It wouldn't stop me from going into the water, but it would certainly inspire me to HUG the shoreline.

“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:19:06 AM »
I love Hawaiians, native and otherwise.

Dude, let's talk about that epoxy. Maybe that shark only gummed it, but that's still impressive.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:57:24 AM »
Maybe that shark only gummed it, but that's still impressive.
Yea hard to say.  That shark was no doubt surprised to get a board thrust into his mouth. So maybe not a strike bite.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
Wow! That is a big bite radius. :o

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 10:15:13 AM »
Pregnant female tiger sharks migrate to the Hawai'ian islands to give birth between late September and December. It wouldn't stop me from going into the water, but it would certainly inspire me to HUG the shoreline.

Maybe that proner's board in the picture was covered in Sex Wax.  Stuff does have a strong scent.

My wine store guy told me his bite felt like a 'gumming' but when he checked there was lots of flesh dangling.

Gotta go now.. to the dermatologist again, the new shark in town.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
This time of year, things seem to go a little haywire out there. There are a number of documented hits on people in the water around Maui over the years, a few fatal, and they almost always occur in late summer to early winter.

Maybe it's the runoff from the rain, maybe it's the females having their pups or maybe it's something to do with changing environmental conditions. A lot of people that go in the ocean everyday, like many of us do, armchair quarterback it and come up with an reason as to why the unusual behavior occurred and actual contact happened.

The ocean is their home and we're the aliens. When you're a mile and a half off-shore, or in the middle of a channel, standing on a plank that's 26" wide, or sitting in an eggshell-thin boat, you can't forget that you're not really in charge.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »
Loved the cartoon... glad he was up to the task of protecting his kids and all went well.

That board is perfect!!! I'd make a pendant out of it and wear it everyday ;D ;D

Definitely "Ad worthy"

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »
All that storm run-off, filled with animal waste and decaying organic matter, probably smells like a shark smorgasbord.

Waters around Oahu were still cloudy this am.  Had a six foot black tip swim four feet under my board this am at Kaimana. He was well inside at the edge of the swim zone.  I wonder if that is not actually a good sign.  Big sharks eat little sharks, I bet he would not be around if his larger cousins were on the prowl.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 08:26:24 AM »
I once had to fight off a baby sealion.  Well, "Shoo off" might be more accurate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal