Author Topic: Finn Sailing Video  (Read 5727 times)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Finn Sailing Video
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:19:16 PM »
The Finn is an Olympic class sailboat.  Whether you have sailed small boats or not, this shows the  athleticism of small boat sailing.  This is not flat water sailing.  Toward the end the sailor is sailing downwind.
http://youtu.be/N_rYAyl81qY

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Finn Sailing Video
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:21 PM »
I used to sail a small catamaran (Dart) when I was a teenager and it was a lot of fun along with being a lot more physical that it might look.
It was less fun the day that I did not hook properly when I was out rappelling and got snatched by a wave. God knows how fast a sailboat is moving away from you when you are in the water. But it was more fun than when the boat buries a float , nose dive and capsize and you are still hooked in.
I wish I could still do that in addition to supping.

Cheers,

Luc

Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »
Great vid.. and filmed in my back yard.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Awesome filming. Finns are bad ass. Very athletic. I'm a Laser sailer, raced a lot. I'm not big enough for Finns. Finn class is for the big guys. Lasers have a slightly better planing hull for the downwind legs.

Downwinding standup I re-found all the joy and thrill of reading the water, seeking the line to make the most out of the waves and squeezing the most you can out of your craft to eek out a bit more plane. Downwinding I felt like I was back in my element. There are a lot of similarities and you'll find all the top competitive sailors standup paddling for cross training, especially downwinding. Jimmy Spithill did really well in the M2O.

....  This is not flat water sailing. 

hahahahahaha... You know a lot of sailing which is?

Which reminds me of this footage. It's just mind blowing for any [competitive] sailor to watch this. We are very used to getting a read of the wind in the water.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »
Hello Yugi,
You are paddling on lac Leman no?
What were these sailboats with outside rails on the side that were specific to Swiss lakes?

Cheers,

Luc
Blackfish Paddles

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 12:46:09 AM »
Very cool.  I built a small sailboat in my teenage years (nowhere near a performance hull) and did the Sunfish thing awhile.  Hobie cat 14 later.  It would be awesome to get my hands on a small fast sailboat.

Funny how I cycle through obsessions through the decades.

Craigs List here I come.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 04:49:37 AM »
I used to sail a small catamaran (Dart) when I was a teenager and it was a lot of fun along with being a lot more physical that it might look.
It was less fun the day that I did not hook properly when I was out rappelling and got snatched by a wave. God knows how fast a sailboat is moving away from you when you are in the water. But it was more fun than when the boat buries a float , nose dive and capsize and you are still hooked in.

Ha. That brings me back. I used to sail Hobie 16s, in exactly the same spot we now downwind in. Burying the downwind hull in a wave while going flat out while hooked in and out on the trapeze was a little more exciting than the usual catapult fall that I had experienced as a windsurfer. You were launched like a rock out of a slingshot. I remember being thrown 20 or 30 meters in-front of where the Hobie lay on its side on one occasion. The fun thing about the Hobies was being with a buddy experiencing these things together and then reliving them again over a few beers later... Now all we have is ourselves on our SUPs and GoPro footage..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 05:08:10 AM »
I sailed a Kite, for a few years.  It was before Lasers.  They took 2/3 of the Finn hull and 3/4 of the sail area.  It could be sailed solo or with a crew. One race was so windy, I capsized three times during the race.  And still I finished 4th out of 10 boats.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 05:38:41 AM »
You are paddling on lac Leman no?
What were these sailboats with outside rails on the side that were specific to Swiss lakes?

Do you mean trapeze racks?
These were introduced on the lake by the Kiwi designer, Bruce Farr, on the ultra high tech monohulls competing in the European Lake Cup (Leman, Garda, Bodensee) in the early 80’s, inspired from the 18’ skiffs popular in NZ, AUS & US . By ’83 they were banned. On Farrdesign website I found this article on a “winged” yacht (inspired by Moth class of the day) he came up with to get around this rule, built by Mark Lindsay in Boston north shore, the OPNI (french abbr. for Unidentified Planing Object). It was pretty cool. I didn’t sail on it, I was racing Lasers, but it was always on the waters I was on. Fast.
http://www.farrdesign.com/reviews/134_Project_Opni_Sail_Aug1984.pdf

By early 80’s trimarans were already cleaning up the races. Dennis Conner even came with his Stars & Stripes tri to race. Interesting that on the the high tech D35 class the “racks” are back.
http://new.alinghi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gpcorum_2010-09-18_50_photo.jpg

We were out paddling in the middle of the D35 championship a few weeks ago. Ooops. Hard to not get in the way with those guys coming at you at 20 or 30 kn. They thought it was cool though and I even got high 5’s from the guys hiking on those racks as one boat buzzed me.

Speaking of multihulls and evolution I was paddling with a guy who does the carbon builds of Franck Cammas’ Groupama C-Class Cat. The new 2015 boat was there too. That thing is sick! Google it. It weighs 200kg rigged (440 lbs). Same guy is making paddle shafts now that a friend of mine is testing. Sicko light. Place your orders.

Speaking of foilers the new foiling Moth class now has those rails I think you are asking about rather than wings. Sailing a foiling Moth takes an awesome amount of “body kinetics” as Oli Tweddell talks about. More agile than physical like on a Finn. I’d love to sail one. It’s just not half as practical as a SUP, especially when the wind drops!

Last week we were out paddling and found ourselves in the middle of the Swiss Open Moth Championships. No high 5’s, those guys got their hands full, but cool to see the race skills up close.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:40:38 AM by yugi »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 06:59:05 AM »
>Do you mean trapeze racks? These were introduced on the lake by the Kiwi designer, Bruce Farr, on the ultra high tech monohulls competing in the European Lake Cup<
That's the one.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:01:03 AM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »
Campaigned Snipes in the 70's, including a '76 Fla Jr State Championship and crewing in the US Nationals that year, and have sailed many of the other boats already mentioned in this thread also. It has occurred to me also that SUPing the ocean in general, and downwinding in particular, requires many of the same skills reading the water that are used while sailing.

Anyway, cool video. It brought back memories. Thanks.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
Nice video and explanation by the sailor.

Check out this other video - fantastic quality classic strategic and tactical dingy sailing.  Watch from 18:00 to see what a simple call from the referee boat does to your lead position on the race course.  The sailor does not panic and recovers to go on to win anyways - awesome skill power and endurance.  It seemed the call was a little questionable compared to what other sailors were doing also - kind of like the Kai fade.

In both dingy sailing and sup racing strength to weight ratio plays huge.  Hiking on the ends of your toes is not easy when you are fully reverse planked out upwind.  Both sailing and sup at competitive levels is a full on full body HIIE workout.  Gotta luv it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyn-_yUaMZI
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »
I'll just post one of my favorite cat pics, reading the swell~
It takes a quiver to do that.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »
Beautiful pic -

The 2 on the tramp can just hope all is good.  The helmsman looks ok riding the swell but the main trimmer looks to want to do something at that moment.  A couple degrees of steering error and you get a blown up cat.  Have done that on the little hobies at reef breaks and it is great fun - but one mistake is all it takes.

A few years ago in PC there was one other hobie out and he hit the reef and blew up his mast on a catapult.  Noticed nowadays they want you to stay inside the reef - but outside saw huge whales breaching ..... The infamous reef is in the background of this pic -
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
Check out this sweet jibe sequence from a regatta on my 24 foot trimaran GlowBoat, in Newport RI this summer.  My crew was outstanding.

season is all over till spring.  bummer.  still paddling tho!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:11:31 PM by Glowmaster »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal