Author Topic: Stop crying.  (Read 12577 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stop crying.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »
I don't think anyone is crying about confrontations but only highlighting some of the challenges some of us face as paddlers. You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend these things don't exist. I think the unfortunate perception is this is our daily reality which it is not. 2 years SUSing and only 1 incident. 2 for Sup Surf Chick. The first one involved being burned by an un named pro which resulted in a broken foot and 4 months out of the water and then the other one a few weeks ago. The great sessions overshadow the compromised ones by a 100:1 margin however.

100 to 1 is fantastic odds... for anything. 

I would agree again with SUPCreek because I find myself drifting through FB more often, which has many pics and videos.  Tons of crap but you learn to roll through it fast.  That said I gotta have a PDX fix, only available here. Yes and many others... 

As far as crowds go, I always try to encourage people to make eye contact with me if they choose to drop in on a wave with me.  That way there is a recognition that we can work it out while riding but they will definitely know I'm there.  That seems to make all the difference in the world.  There are of course some guys you don't want to ride with and it's obvious.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 01:00:16 AM »
Not so gentle re-direct here.

I don't know how anyone else feels but I'm not reading another conflict thread. No sense filling the internet, and world, with this stuff.

It makes SUS'ers look like toddlers.

Join a quilting club or throw tea parties or something but this has got to stop. The Zone reads like teenage gossip right now. I personally don't care what some douche in Orange County said or did. Note that this has nothing to do with restricted access, HPWA etc. We're seeing threads about people looking at people weird! Projection, look it up.

New topic suggestions: good sessions, shapes, fins, techniques, trips, pics, stoke, boards, how badass Gerry Lopez is, etc.

I love this forum, and all you guys.

Let's all man the f up.

That is all.

I think we need a blog specific section.. So we can fill this forum with amazing trips and adventures!

I agree on your statement! Regardless of who is right or wrong, it just fuels the fire....
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 04:11:36 PM »
Already mentioned in this thread but to re-iterate we need a single thread titled "STINK EYE" and all subject matter related to stink eye, bad vibes, confrontation and conflicts between any matter of wave riding goes there. Needs to be started by a senior, Cortes Bank, veteran.
New England Is My Playground

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »
Already mentioned in this thread but to re-iterate we need a single thread titled "STINK EYE" and all subject matter related to stink eye, bad vibes, confrontation and conflicts between any matter of wave riding goes there. Needs to be started by a senior, Cortes Bank, veteran.
Probably could throw in race board regulations in there as well, along with almost anything related to aluminum. 

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 05:11:04 PM »
It's what the Old Hens call the Bitch and Stitch...

Put all Old Hens there...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
Hey now.

Just because I type fast doesn't mean I'm old.

...oh, wait.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »
Yesterday I saw a proner pull the board out from under a SUP at Sharks Santa Cruz. 

I watched them, and their position at first was quite far apart when they both caught the same wave, so technically, I don't think there was a drop in.  However, the proner (young) kept eyeballing the SUP and managed to catch up with him.

The proner could have taken a turn and been fine, and the SUP actually rolled off and the proner could have continued unimpeded.  Instead, he rolled off, too, and as the SUP guy was paddling back out, I saw the proner grab the base of the SUP leash and yank knocking the SUP guy off.

I crossed paths with the SUP guy a little later and asked him if he was the one that the proner pulled the board out from under.  He said he must have been, but thought it might have been kelp or something. The prone kid said something like he was sorry for the bump like he knocked him.  I told the SUP guy that the prone kid actually yanked hard the base of his leash and knocked him over on purpose. Hearing that the prone kid did it, and then played innocent, was surprised him.  The prone kid probably went back to his buds and bragged about it.  The SUP guy just said that the kid must be a real punk, but was very affable about it.

It was interesting to see that you can pull somebody over and they don't necessarily know it if you are sneaky like that.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:26:23 PM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

supthecreek

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
Surfing 101
He dropped in.

Taking off, out on the shoulder before, during or after the guy closest to the hook is.... dropping in.
Just because you can catch a wave out where its not as steep, does NOT get you priority.

disclaimer:
there are "closest to the hook" situations that are questionable... and too convoluted to explain in as definitive "right vs wrong"
The best way to think of it:
An experienced surfer, on the beach, watching the situation unfold would better understand if one of them was:
1- dropping in
2- snaking the guy further from the hook

It's one of the biggest challenges that face SUP surfing.... lots of newcomers to surfing can get way outside and catch waves without ever entering the battle zone called the line-up... they have not learned a true understanding of how and why a line-up works.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
The anatomy of the wave probably made him a drop in.  It's one of the problems with SUP turnarounds vs. proner turnarounds.  If you turn around away from the direction of the lineup, a proner can make a split second decision to turn and catch without you being able to see it. 

I have been trying to perfect a rapid surf stance turnaround in the direction of the lineup so I can see.  That, or face the wave a bit inside on my knees, make sure the wave is empty or the proners rolled/churned off before turning and catching on knees and popping up.

Being inside on the surf freeway has some risk, too, but seems preferable to blind spot turning.

gtcali

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »
I'm in  :-X ,unless blows are actually thrown, then I want to hear about it  :o

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
The anatomy of the wave probably made him a drop in.  It's one of the problems with SUP turnarounds vs. proner turnarounds.  If you turn around away from the direction of the lineup, a proner can make a split second decision to turn and catch without you being able to see it. 

I have been trying to perfect a rapid surf stance turnaround in the direction of the lineup so I can see.  That, or face the wave a bit inside on my knees, make sure the wave is empty or the proners rolled/churned off before turning and catching on knees and popping up.

Being inside on the surf freeway has some risk, too, but seems preferable to blind spot turning.

The hardest thing we do in standup surf is the turnaround into a takeoff.  It's one of the last areas I became comfortable in and if on a smaller board still the most probable moment for a kookout.
If you could switch foot you could always paddle in facing the curl.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »

Supcheat, I kind of get the feeling that this is what's happening to you from reading your post....
Surfing 101
He dropped in.

Taking off, out on the shoulder before, during or after the guy closest to the hook is.... dropping in.
Just because you can catch a wave out where its not as steep, does NOT get you priority.
....this understanding comes with time, as you learn to read the formation of the waves better, and the location of the potential participants for them.

What you might consider doing, is if you see a surfer who you think might be considering to turn and paddle for a wave that you're also considering....is turn and start to paddle forward slowly, still preparing to position yourself to go for it, but as you're doing this, continue to take glances over at that other surfer.

If/when you see him turn and paddle for it, simply stop paddling forward, and start looking for an avenue to get out of his way.  Sometimes that's as simple as stopping where you're at, and letting the swell/wave move past you, and as a result, usually the surfer who's on it closer to the hook/pocket in it also.

If while paddling/looking you see that no one in a better position (closer to the hook/pocket/whitewater) is paddling for it.....GO FOR IT!!....and have fun.

If you say that you're not able to get any waves with this technique, then you are probably in a location/situation that you're not ready for, and need to work somewhere else on turning and paddling for a wave better, so you're able to pick off waves closer to the hook, and not so far way on the shoulder.

Most all of us were where you are now, but over time you just learn to turn at last minute, and take a paddle stroke or two to get into the wave.....instead of paddling for 5-10 yards or more to get into one....that we all did at one time while learning these things.

IOWs, just because some might say that they're "staying away from the lineup to not get in anyone's way"....make sure that you are indeed far enough away....to really not get in anyone's way. :o :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:54:01 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »
Good advice, Sano. I am developing a better sense of the waves, as well as reading the various individuals on the waves lineup or not.

I have been satisfied with my wave count lately. The leftovers on the inside break at Sharks have been kind for a couple of months. Time on the water eventually fills in the blanks about doing the right thing. My kooks are becoming less common and my waves more frequent, so if the trend continues, I can only ask for progress. I won't be venturing into the lineup until I think I can handle left and right turns with reasonable skill.

I seldom if ever wind up in the situation of the guy who got yanked off the board any more.  He was actually quite a skilled SUP surfer. He said he never saw the proner and when he did, he rolled off, but the proner rolled off with him, I guess to do something.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:23:17 PM by SUPcheat »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »
He said he never saw the proner and when he did, he rolled off....
That's really all anyone can ask for in the situation, and throw in a little apology later, and there shouldn't be any hurt feelings.

There's more than once that I was sure a guy was never gonna get a wave, and then paddle for it myself....only to see him behind me when I glance that direction just to make sure, and then pull off the wave immediately.

Heck, there's been times where I've pulled off, only to have the guy later tell me when I tossed out my little apology for the drop-in...."hey no problem, you should have stayed on it....you would have out run me anyway". 

But I never even consider that, because in my book...."it was his wave", and I can go find mine later while he's inside, and paddling back out.

It least that's the how I'm playing the "rules", and haven't had too many problems.....no matter who I'm surfing around.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2014, 07:39:51 PM »
Thats for sure! Last Friday I had a GREAT SESSION! It was glassy with clean and consistent waist to head high rights. There were a couple surfers out there but they never got in the way so I pretty much had the place to myself. I figure I probably got 10 times MORE waves than they did with no snaking involved.

The great sessions overshadow the compromised ones by a 100:1 margin however.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal