Author Topic: Stop crying.  (Read 12579 times)

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stop crying.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 08:55:57 AM »
Thank you!

Pretty well wrapped up my sentiments Cowboy. Below is my response to a fighting thread yesterday-  thought better about it because I realized the last time I posted here a while ago was a very similar response to a rant about "sup v proner".

"Strange thing the effect that our expectations and where we place our attention in life has on outcome.  Uncanny how the cynics I know who choose to focus on and in turn, expect the worse from people oftentimes get it. I'm a realist... know full well that life ain't always rainbows and unicorns and you can't always escape or ignore the negative or the A-holes- deal with them and move on and set the tone tone for your life- don't alloow that small minority to.  Damn- this sport, getting on the water is one of the positive healthy things- wind, water, tide, waves, travel, sunshine, bikinis, good people, a new board, a post surf beer.... lots of good stuff to focus on in regards to SUP, surfing. In my experience, the good folks and the positives far, far outweigh the negative. Mo-bettah bask in THAT."

Cheers and thanks again.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 09:50:07 AM »
Thank you.
Wag more, bark less.
It takes a quiver to do that.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 09:52:54 AM »
+ 1

I sometimes wonder if it makes SUS'ers hyper cautious or over sensitive to the lineup or any issues with other surfers.. I really have never had any issues in the PNW but there just aren't many of us here.

-red

Not so gentle re-direct here.

I don't know how anyone else feels but I'm not reading another conflict thread. No sense filling the internet, and world, with this stuff.

It makes SUS'ers look like toddlers.

Join a quilting club or throw tea parties or something but this has got to stop. The Zone reads like teenage gossip right now. I personally don't care what some douche in Orange County said or did. Note that this has nothing to do with restricted access, HPWA etc. We're seeing threads about people looking at people weird! Projection, look it up.

New topic suggestions: good sessions, shapes, fins, techniques, trips, pics, stoke, boards, how badass Gerry Lopez is, etc.

I love this forum, and all you guys.

Let's all man the f up.

That is all.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »
I never participate in those threads but they have just as much right to be posted as uncomfortable political threads in the random section.  If you don't like 'em, don't view or reply.  Lack of attention speak volumes.  You live and learn on these forums and some who haven't been on for awhile may not have seen previous 'cries' about altercations in the water.   The fact that those threads are on the forum doesn't make the forum bad just like the entertainment industry isn't all bad because of reality shows.

My feelings about altercations have always been echoed by SUPCreeek.  This stuff has been going on a long long time.  You got to deal with it like the weather.

Crowds and vibes are some of the aspects of downwind surfing that are so appealing.  They really could use a DW spot in California to take the pressure off.  The place just has too many surfers.  But not enough wind for DW, except up north.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 08:45:27 PM »
I'm with the cowboy.  Too much whining going on here. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 08:53:35 PM »
I hear you HM, people have a right but it just got a bit thick. But yeah, I know folks need to process stuff, maybe we should have a stink eye thread that just grows.

I agree with the idea of you get what you focus on and that you can create what you expect.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 05:49:59 AM »
It will be a self-limiting thing.  Just don't reply to those topics and as everyone else gets tired of them, they will die quickly.  I've lost interest and don't even read them, but as long as people are posting and replying, there are some that disagree with you. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:21:56 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 06:17:46 AM »
who is the one crying here  :'( ? if you don't like a thread Cowboy up and ride on
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:21:15 AM by Rolf »

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
Cowboy's post didn't read like a whine to me at all.... more along the lines of a friend doing a kind, showing the respect of letting you know you have a booger hanging out of your nose.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
Speaking of Titus...  Before moving to Kauai many years ago I was warned to stay away from these two local badass bruddah's named "Titus" and "Emory." I don't know about that Emory guy but my one experience with Titus was surprisingly positive. I was paddling back out after riding a super long perfect left at Pakala's one day and Titus gave me the shaka and said: "Thick nose brah." (Cuz the board I was riding had a thick nose.)

P.S. I was one of those that started a thread about an altercation last week. I wondered if it would come off as whining, but sorry about that guys. Its the first time I have ever posted anything like that and I won't do it again!  :-[

Titus got in my face and yelled at me on my first trip to the islands for walking on the reef.  Can I whine about that?

He's kinda scary when he's mad.

Waaaaaah!
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »
Weeell, I was a hoale in the wrong on his home.  He warned.  I slunk off to the other side of the island and... well I won't cry about the prepubescent turds that jumped me in Princeville.

Love Kauai.  Family there for decades.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
A high school friend of mine who was a half-man (you know, a kneeboarder) surfed Hanalei a lot and one day when he came in he was greeted by a few heavy locals who offered him two choices... 

CHOICE 1: We take you to your place now and you grab your stuff and we drive you to the airport.

CHOICE 2: We kill you.

He opted to leave and it took about a year before I found out why he disappeared so fast.

Weeell, I was a hoale in the wrong on his home.  He warned.  I slunk off to the other side of the island and... well I won't cry about the prepubescent turds that jumped me in Princeville.

Love Kauai.  Family there for decades.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

supthecreek

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
Good stories are always fun... like the one above. ;D ;D ;D
I so get that from the North Shore the 70's..... it was kind of routine, when someone went outside the accepted behavior at a break... you couldn't even paddle "chest up"

Cowboy....I have wanted to make a post similar to this for a while now. Thanks :)

Sure... I understand that we don't have to read a thread that bugs us....
BUT, we do have to read the title of the threads....
and a few times in the past month, it felt more like a surf forum, than a SUP forum.
The "Us vs Them" element made me itch...

I worry that, if we begin to slide down that slope... the forum will lose more of the wonderful creative, upbeat contributors that make the Zone a cut above the rest.
SUP is still relatively new and a lot of people look to the Zone for their introduction to the sport.

More pictures.... more videos please ;D ;D ;D

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »
Shouldn't feel guilty about being a SUPer.....or inferior.....it can come across like that when I read the posts.

Saying that, where I am we have a tiny fraction of the pressures you guys face when it comes to overcrowding.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
I don't think anyone is crying about confrontations but only highlighting some of the challenges some of us face as paddlers. You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend these things don't exist. I think the unfortunate perception is this is our daily reality which it is not. 2 years SUSing and only 1 incident. 2 for Sup Surf Chick. The first one involved being burned by an un named pro which resulted in a broken foot and 4 months out of the water and then the other one a few weeks ago. The great sessions overshadow the compromised ones by a 100:1 margin however.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal