Author Topic: To all those who sweat the "Stink eye" or "hate" yada yada...  (Read 6502 times)

supthecreek

To all those who sweat the "Stink eye" or "hate" yada yada...
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:09 AM »
As I have stated before... I think the notion of surf etiquette is largely a dream world fantasy. There are "Rules" and rules only work if they are enforced. Mostly, the rules have traditionally been enforced by peer pressure, through "stink eye" or verbal warnings... sometimes being warned not to come back to that break. These mean something. You may not like or agree with it, but it is all part of the imperfect place we call the line-up.

I have never advocated, nor do I condoned violence as a form of enforcement and have stepped in to prevent the use of violence. Unfortunately, some idiots resort to violence. Probably with percentages on par with criminal behavior in society in general.

But, before you take all the "run ins" or "stink eye" collectively as SUPrs... I think you should read this piece from "Tracks... the surfers bible"... it is a surfer talking to surfers, not SUP's... to other surfers. Reading it might help you understand the challenge's that exist in many lineups... for everyone. SUP just represents that latest entry in the long "line-up" evolution.

Previous entries: leg ropes, knee boards, boogie boards, fun shapes, longboards, body surfers, no leg rope, butt boarders, kayaks, jet ski tow-ins, SUP

Every new addition had to endure the close and unnerving scrutiny of "the line-up" as a way of preserving the value of a particular break by, the established crew.

If you get the "Stink eye" reflect on it personally not a part of collective "SUP".... Did I bring that on in some way? Is there a better way to negotiate this line up? How can I earn my place here? Am I doing all I can to be accepted..... or.... Do I belong in this line up? Should I find a line up that better suit me? Finally.... am I willing to undergo this gauntlet until I am accepted?

The following are hard words. They reflect my understanding of the reality in established line ups. Living with this understanding, has eased my acceptance, during many solo trips, to difficult line ups around the world.

http://www.tracksmag.com/how-not-to-get-punched-head/

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: To all those who sweat the "Stink eye" or "hate" yada yada...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »
agree with all you say, creek, but do believe that, if one is behaving well, consistent with or even better than spec'ed on the link you provide, one should be able to surf just about any break.

That said there are some breaks where an sup risks serious shlt for just showing up--no time to show manners. Ex: a shortboard break north of 38th ave santa cruz, where i made the mistake of paddling out alone on a nice day (2000 mi from my local)--clearly a bad move, not just a problem with one grumpy guy, so I paddled to 38th and had a good sesh.

sometimes youve got to eat crow and go.....
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
STC,

I thought that was a good read. I posted it in the Confrontation at Carlsbad thread earlier today. Was Nat Young a bully?
New England Is My Playground

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »
Not all of it depends on how you behave, but a lot of troubles are the result of your actions.  Things like trolling around just outside of proners is something that really ticks them off. 

Better to do the opposite: I complimented another guy in the lineup this morning and made a friend out there.  He got the wave of the day and you could tell he was stoked that someone, even a SUPer, saw him do it.  Neutral vibes before, then 15 seconds of kind words and the vibe turned into a great one. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
Just depends.  sometimes I get the stinkeye before I am even in the water at my home break where I know everybody and everybody knows me.  At my break or any break i surf. I paddle out  sit down and just watch for a few minutes I usually say hi to  people  ask em how the set is running  make small talk all before I take off on a wave.  I also often will call  waves before I take  one, just to be friendly  sometimes it helps  sometimes it doesn't    sometimes douche bags  who are paddling out long after I  have been in the water  give me the look and I m not talking bout the look of love . most times i try to ignore it  and  just surf sometimes you just can't     I think you are right with the hordes form the inland areas  looking  for a way out of the heat and traffic  the rules just disappear. at least for them   not for me it's how I learned and how i surf  no matter what.  I wont be in your way if I can help it  I wont drop in on you or cut you off I never paddle  underneath you I never hog waves,  still though when a personal verbal attack is thrown my way  i wont back down  and i wont leave.   and I am not intimidating I am an old fat grey haired dude if some ones starts something it  would be like beating up their grandfather.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUP CPA

• Waikiki Status
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »
Was Nat Young a bully?

I don't don't know him personally but he has a reputation as a hot-head.  So does Sunny Garcia.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »
STC,

I thought that was a good read. I posted it in the Confrontation at Carlsbad thread earlier today. Was Nat Young a bully?

Nat was a wave hog. It was a long time coming.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
In some form or another, there have been confrontations  with long boarders, wave hogs ect over the years. Yet generally the surfers show up where I am. I always try and give people space. Things have generally been collegial for me so far. That said I have seen a lot of ranting against the sup surfers in various forums.  I don't subscribe to  the general view that anyone who gets beaten up had it coming.
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
NEp... Nat's nickname was "Animal" ha ha.... that is a hint to his "go for it hard" approach. He was a very animated, big, rangy dude that was always pretty cool when I had an opportunity to be around him.

He loaned me his Weber Ski one day... it was the first board I had ever seen with no sanding or gloss coat... raw textured deck to keep weight down and performance high.
I came back from the beach, he said
"Where's me boooard mate?"
"In the trunk"
"It won't fit in the trunk"
"It does now!" ;D... I opened the trunk and took out his board... I had broken it in half...oops.

I don't remember what he said or did.... but he didn't punch me out... so he's ok in my book  ;D ;D ;D

Here's a picture of me holding the board.... I still have the "Weber" emblem that I cut from the board. it was probably the late 60's... as this was a promotional prototype.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
Real talk, thank you man.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:54:07 AM »
Creek,

I am so glad I asked!!! Love that picture so, so much. So James Dean. Awesome!!!
New England Is My Playground

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:13 AM »
When is the damn book coming out! I've heard enough snippets of your life to know that the whole story would be a fun read.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 06:59:30 AM »
oh, man, creek, what a great pic and story.  fantastic!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:44 AM »
Creek,

Very Cool Dude!
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
ha ha...Where is the "Wayback Machine?"

Speaking of wayback... right at this very moment, I am assembling old photos and memorabilia on poster boards, in a very sophomoric fashion, to be displayed at an event over this coming weekend.

"The Orleans Surf Film Festival"  this friday and Saturday night, will feature displays of Cape Cod surf history.... pictures, boards, skateboards, memorabilia ... all local in nature, will garnish the lobby and bar area, while the ballroom will host Surf Films and local bands. All at the "Jailhouse Tavern" in Orleans 10/24 - 10/25 - doors open at 5:30

There will be drinking and tall tales in endless supply. As we get further from the past, the stories get further from the truth. I'm making my daughters go with me.... a young beauty on each arm, as I pimp my entrance, in true 60's surf style.... fashionably late of course. I'm channeling my inner Miki Dora.  ;)

anyone have a girdle I can borrow? and some teeth?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal