Author Topic: Broke another leash today...what are you guys using?  (Read 11906 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Broke another leash today...what are you guys using?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »
Was using, and liked the Creatures of Leisure leashes, but then gave the XM leashes a try (less expensive, and I'm a cheapskate), and like them even more.

Only broken leash I've had was on a not too old FCS at the ankle swivel....no more of them.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
This works pretty well. :)

But doesn't the gold clash with your wetsuit?

A bit but it does match the gold bling bling I wear round my neck when I SUP.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
I've done a lot of leash testing. Subject for an article, probably on Ponostyle when I stop being so lazy. It's the reason I plan to make my own, though the Crow Haley looks a lot like what I have planned. The junction between the leach and cuff or railsaver is a major weak point, the dinky swivels are other, and the attachment of the swivel end to the cuff and railsaver is the third. Stretch the crap out of a bunch of leashes with weights over a pulley and they all break there. I test all the leashes I deem no longer safe to use. That's where they break. If they break in the rope itself it's because of a serious nick. Little nicks don't do much. The ones that break because of a nick I repair either by tieing (lazy) or welding and test them to failure.

I don't like broken leashes. Gonna fix that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »
I just swam in from Gonzalo's swell last week, failed Velcro on a borrowed waist leash.  Got lucky and it was relatively painless.

Somebody give me a decent swim tech with a paddle please.  I saw a little on a recent thread.

Clemdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:48 PM »
I plan to give Crow a call. By the way, my local SUP shop (West Coast Paddle Sports) replaced my leash free, as it was pretty clear that it was a bad leash.
Clem
San Diego
Naish 8'8 X32
Starboard 8'10 Wide Point
Starboard 9'5 Wide Point

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
I use Creatures of Leisure leashes, the largest ones I can buy, at least 8mm.  I treat them well, have never wrapped them around the fins, and always hang them from the garage rafters (i.e. never store them coiled).  Never had a break in 2 plus years, but recently noticed one of the pressed in pins near the cuff had worked its way halfway out.  I pushed it back in with some pliers, but have not had an issue since. 

I also like their easy to find pull ring, as opposed to a canvas loop which can lay flat and be hard to find in a panic, like when you've been pulled by current under a pier and your board is on the other side of a piling from you while you try to do the "situp with 2,000lbs of ocean current hitting you in the chest" while you scramble to rip your leash off (story told to me during the recent big surf we had.)  Apparently the guy finally released his leash on what he felt was his "last" shot before drowning. 

Saw a woman at Dogpatch recently with an XM big wave leash with the quick release pin...That may be my next one to the leash inventory. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:16:55 PM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »

Surf4food:   This was a discussion about what's used on the water, NOT in your deviant "apres surf" activities.  You should feel ashamed....err....proud!

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 12:34:24 AM »
We sell a lot of leashes from many brands in our shop and have seen most of them fail.  When you go out in big waves with a big board the leash takes a lot of abuse and should be replaced regularly.  Using a longer leash allows it to stretch more, the downside is that your board becomes a bigger hazard for others in the line up and it takes longer to reel your board back in.  When you are getting worked by a set seconds count. 

The strongest leash we sell is the Stay Covered XXL Big Wave- 9.5 mm, hand tied, made in USA.  We have not seen one of these break (yet):
http://www.staycovered.com/#!product/prd1/1309112011/9'-xxl-big-wave

A good trick when you are being pulled underwater by the leash is to brace your paddle underneath you and use it as a rudder to push yourself back to the surface, no swimming necessary.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »

Surf4food:   This was a discussion about what's used on the water, NOT in your deviant "apres surf" activities.  You should feel ashamed....err....proud!

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
Anyone have an issue with Creatures of Leisure leashes rubbing their ankle?  I picked up an 8' Outer Reef after snapping a leash last week and this thing has rubbed my ankle bloody.  Seems to be the molded piece that extends from the ankle cuff doing the damage.

I've surfed/SUP'd  for ~30 years and have never had this happen

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
I had an XM break on me and had to watch my still brand new looking SIMSUP S3 go into the rocks and then get pulled back by the tide and then go over the rocks again. I lost count how many times it happened until I was finally able to paddle in and save the board.

When I got home I went straight to the surf shop and bought a Creatures. After a few sessions, so far so good. Hoping to get a year out of it before I replace it for good measure.

Anyone have an issue with Creatures of Leisure leashes rubbing their ankle?

Nothing like that for me...so far so good.

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 03:37:50 PM »
Creatures 10' outer reef for me.......like to have a new one I only use on big days

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
A year out of a leash? Three years!!! You must be like Boyum, his look like the dog chewed them usually, and he doesn't have a dog. Any time I get a serious stretch on a leash I replace it. Thirty bucks.

One thing I really dislike about Creatures of Leisure leashes is that some of the swivels are not pinned or cross-screwed. I don't get this. I've seen a lot of them halfway pulled out.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Anyone have an issue with Creatures of Leisure leashes rubbing their ankle?  I picked up an 8' Outer Reef after snapping a leash last week and this thing has rubbed my ankle bloody.  Seems to be the molded piece that extends from the ankle cuff doing the damage.

I've surfed/SUP'd  for ~30 years and have never had this happen

Never had that happen to me....I pretty much only use Creatures of Leisure leashes...

...One thing I really dislike about Creatures of Leisure leashes is that some of the swivels are not pinned or cross-screwed. I don't get this. I've seen a lot of them halfway pulled out.

Yeah....I had a pin halfway out...pushed it back in with pliers and it has held, but it probably should never have gotten to that point at all...

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

El Sharky

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 06:23:57 AM »
I know a lot of people are going to argue aginst my idea because of theorethical/mathematical drag but i feel no significant difference and after 3 broken lleashes with damage to the board. My answer is to allways wear a double 8mm leash. Simple as that and havnt broken a leash again. Maybe overkill but guves me peace of mind

One day i used a single for a small wave session and it streched a bit more than the other. I havnt used nor know 9.5mm existed so maybe thats the option but for me wearing two leashes is the answer.

Hopd it helps

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal