Author Topic: Today, yielding and a compliment was the cure for "stink eye."  (Read 2217 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Today, yielding and a compliment was the cure for "stink eye."
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »
Interesting little scenario during my dawn patrol at Newport Pier this morning.  There was a guy on a longboard who was giving me dirty looks and trying to out maneuver me for position.  Not really aggressive, not massive "stink eye" but he was not respecting the lineup principle and was obviously not happy with my being there either. 

We both paddled for a nicely lined up right and I very obviously backed off so he could have the wave free and clear.  He made a nice, sort of critical drop and rode the rest of the wave pretty much straight, nothing amazing, but pretty good.  The wave itself was pretty nice though.  As he paddled back out near me, still giving me a dirty look, I said, "Dude, that was a nice wave you got."  He smiled and said, "Yeah, but I didn't do much with it."  I said, "Looked good to me."  After that, he was cool, no dirty looks and no trying to force position on me. 

Amazing what a little kindness will do with some people.  With others, ask we well know, it does no good at all. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:46:30 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Today, yielding and a compliment was the cure for "stink eye."
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:40:22 PM »
This.
Pretty much says it all.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »
Yep works wonders.
I remember a day at Off The Wall and it was the all Locals afternoon. I looked for the obvious leader of the pack and watched him do a semi OK off the top. So I paddle over to him and he's all pumped and ready to brawl and I told him that was one of the best off the tops I've seen, just like one Buttons would do. Man, I had any wave I wanted after that.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »
Yeah killing with kindness often works. There is a certain territorial aggression in some people that is in their DNa and hard to overcome.
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
Yeah killing with kindness often works. There is a certain territorial aggression in some people that is in their DNa and hard to overcome.
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
Were you surfing somewhere between Pier and the Jetty?

I feel like there is not much hate towards SUPers, specially places like Newport Pier or be more specific Blackies. The place is full of kooks. I have seen  only one or two person that can rip this morning.

Crowded as fuck tho, but that's how Blackies is. Full of kooks, including myself that thinks that they know how to surf.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
Yeah, I really only do very early dawn patrol when I go around Newport Pier.  There is often about a 45 minute window before it begins to pack out, which is about right because I have to be to work by 8.  But you are right, most people there are fairly mellow. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal