Author Topic: I had my first negative altercation with regular surfer last Sunday in Carlsbad  (Read 7050 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
I think a lot of the pack mentality is simple, primate males chest bumping, my wave is bigger than your wave....that and parking lot access.... ;)

Always happy when I hear these stories that I'm in New England. That level of hate is rare here. I had nothing but laughs and good vibes from everyone last session.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
You park in the parking lot just north of the Carlsbad camp ground and then walk down the cliff and a little south near the lifeguard tower.

The guy was non-descript. White, late 30's or early 40's, stocky, blondeish receding hair, goofy foot, clear short board. Couldn't say if he was a local as I don't recall ever seeing him before. He was a decent surfer and seemed to be getting or possibly hogging a lot of lefts.

I feel your  pain  it has happened  to me a  few times.. Where was this in carlsbad and   what did the guy look like and what was he riding/ I want to know  so I can be aware of him if I see him.  Any idea if he was local or not?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Well said and so true. I grew up surfing some spots with a heavy local scene so there was always lots of hassling for waves and stress in the water. I figured out in my late teens that surfing for me, besides being FUN, is also a time to unwind and connect with nature which is why I've been avoiding crowds in the water since then. That thing last Sunday felt so foreign because I'm pretty sure it was the first altercation I've had in the water since my teens.

Yeah it is too bad because it is such a peaceful sport but when it gets confrontational it kills the good energy.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I would have clipped him a bit just to show him that I knew what he was up to, if I could have, but he moved in front of me so fast and was too close to even allow me to maneuver.

What works best is clipping them a bit, basically running over their shoulder. Usually they are fully aware of what they are doing and will give way. Sometimes I loose the pseudo-chicken match and end up bailing. I'm not going to hurt anybody, even a dick.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Megentawave

That sucks!

It's all to common occurrence everywhere in California this summer with the heavy crowds, warm water, good swell and weather.

Probably should start a new thread but has anyone put aside sup surfing for just fitness paddling due to crowds and sup surfer haters?

I know I've thought about it but really enjoy sup surfing too much.  Last week I went to all my "Go to spots' and they were all packed with surfers.  I have a couple of ace in the hole parking spots on side streets near open beach breaks and they were taken also.  I'm hoping it was just the great weather and swell.

I'm hoping for huge surf with cold water and nasty weather…should trim the crowd some;)

I haven't put SUS aside but I probably won't start.  I live a long way from the ocean and I'm beginning to think it's not worth the hassle to deal with aggro locals when you get there.  I lived in OC in the late 60's / early 70's and it was bad enough then; I still have a scar on my shoulder from being run over by an a hole local at Newport.  I decided after that it was time to move away from the crowds and took my young family to the mountains; traded surfing for snowboarding, mountainbiking, wakeboarding and most recently wakesurfing.  I really enjoy flatwater paddling and I frequent places that are far from crowded; I'm sure I would enjoy SUS but I think my wave time will remain behind the boat.  I surfed the same wave on Sunday for 3 miles.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I know that break pretty well   there aren't really any locals there not that i see most are high school kids  form carlsbad,  it usually is one of the least crowded areas  up here. I surfed it many times  only sus there a few times . My guess is he was from somewhere else camping down here   doubtful you'll ever see him again  and move he pullded sounds   like an orange county  or Huntington beach move (  no offense intended just a gut feeling)
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
i paddle out first light more often than not--less crowded/windy--and, when the crowd arrives i am installed--less sketchy than paddling out, the only sup, into a big crowd.

That's one of my classic tactics for weekend crowds.  Paddle out in the dark, get the first rides, continue ripping it up as the sun rises and the crowd starts to come out, then shift off the main peak and work the areas that are overlooked because of the herding instinct.  That describes many Sun AM sessions for me, although now I can often go mid week and avoid even that.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Even works at rincon. If the first thing they see is a sup at rivermouth, what are the gonna say? Ok, we're finally here, you can go?  My reply, what are you, the coupon clipper shift? Get a job!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I agree. Having the peak to myself before everyone else comes out makes me feel like I kind of "own it." I still give respect and don't cut anyone off, but I feel a lot more comfortable out there with regular surfers in situations like that.

Even works at rincon. If the first thing they see is a sup at rivermouth, what are the gonna say? Ok, we're finally here, you can go?  My reply, what are you, the coupon clipper shift? Get a job!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard