Author Topic: PR/Caribbean Surf/Gear  (Read 1861 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
PR/Caribbean Surf/Gear
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »
I just leaned I may have a window for a 4 day mid-Nov trip to PR or the Caribbbean.

Jet Blue non-stop JFK to Aquadilla PR (a quick drive to NW corner, Rincon) is compelling. Can anyone help me out re good breaks/quality sup rental? and any other info which might be helpful?

There's a sweet hotel called Horned Dorset, which would make my wife happy while I am absent SUSing. Seems nearby Rincon and easy drive to Wilderness etc.

And if anyone's got a suggestion elsewhere, I am all ears, but it's gotta be a non-stop flt form NYC, with lodging convenient to good waves, and equipment rental, give the precious 4 days I have.

Thanks
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PR/Caribbean Surf/Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
Hi!

Regarding SUP rental, check with either Miguel Álvarez at Verdeazul or José Rafols at Aquatica, both in Aguadilla.
They know about the best surf spots in the west.
Enjoy your stay!
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
thx much
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:53:38 AM »
flights to aquadilla either suck generally or the good flights are booked. i recall a jet blue 6am or so out of jfk, where one can be in the water by noon. and a rtn flight late afeternoon. no mas, apparently. everything is through the night, nonstopp or not.

so new appeal--what's a good destination from ny--non stop flight, short drive from airport, good waves, nice lodging?

if anyone has a spot that works for 4-5 day routine like i hope for, pls share details.

i plan to research DR, tortola, barbados (proned bathsheba years ago, loved it), st barts. eleuthra is 3 legs, sadly, as is abaco.

pls help if you can. thx

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
flights to aquadilla either suck generally or the good flights are booked. i recall a jet blue 6am or so out of jfk, where one can be in the water by noon. and a rtn flight late afeternoon. no mas, apparently. everything is through the night, nonstopp or not.

so new appeal--what's a good destination from ny--non stop flight, short drive from airport, good waves, nice lodging?

if anyone has a spot that works for 4-5 day routine like i hope for, pls share details.

i plan to research DR, tortola, barbados (proned bathsheba years ago, loved it), st barts. eleuthra is 3 legs, sadly, as is abaco.

pls help if you can. thx

If your dates aren't flexible it might be a bust, but did you look at Spirit Airlines? They can get you from LGA to BQN by 10:00am. The 4AM departure is a little unkind, but at least you beat morning traffic.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
November is a transition season for surf  in the Caribbean, it's the tail end of hurricane/rainy season, the winter trade winds haven't Kicked in  yet and the winter swells aren't pumping yet.  Even so, there are still plenty of fun waves to be surfed...you want to avoid Thanksgiving as airlines up their prices around those dates
JFK to Barbados is an easy flight on American...good flight times both going and returning.
You can stay at the Hilton which is adjacent to a great surf break (Brandon's)the Hilton is only a short walk to Barbados Stand up paddle boards who have some decent boards for rent.   Barbados has MANY breaks so if one coast isn't breaking, the other is.
Your wife will enjoy the Hilton and the beach in front while you are off surfing.

Fly JFK to o Puerto Plata and stay in the surf/ kite/ windsurf town of Cabarete ( 30 mins away) in the DR.  Not sure of the flight times out of Ny, but I bet there are plenty of flights at good prices.   Once you get there Cabarete is a great value compared to the rest of the Caribbean.

St. Bart's, forget a 4 day trip, it takes a full day maybe more to get there and back depending on connecting flights out of St.Maarten and  while it does offer good surf and first class hotels, it's pricey.  Tortola a little easier to get to than St. Bart's, but still you have to plan around a ferry from St Thomas coming and going which will shorten your time there. 

You might consider Turks and Caicos.  Relatively short flight from NY.  Great reef breaks and beach breaks and a couple of SUP rental companies.  Wife friendly too...

With only 4 days you can't be too picky...I'd still consider PR as its close, plenty of flights to choose from.  Don't just look at Aguadilla flights, cheaper and more convenient flighs into San Juan..rent a car and drive to Rincon.

Good luck. 

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
Send me a PM if you want more info on Cabarete, DR.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal