Author Topic: How to remain healthy long into old age  (Read 23190 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: How to remain healthy long into old age
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
Again Creek  , you da MAN !!!

I am so inspired by real life stories that not only transform ones self but leading by example transforms your family and friends lives as well. This is all about leading a healthy , and enjoyable life as long as possible. What would your life be if you continued on habitually the way you were before discovering the tools and minset to change your lifestyle ??  AMAZING brother , I commend you ... you are leaving an inheritance for your children's children my friend. It is easy to have some hiccups along the way but WE have gained the tools and knowledge to get back up out of the water and continue paddling along so to speak.

I agree this forum has transformed my life and way of thinking in many areas and I have gained so much from others here. It is not about paddling but its about the complete package , the life style that paddling and surfing promotes . I don't see why not , God willing, that i will be paddling , surfing and diving into my 80's . It is a choice to live intentionally and not habitually !!  what a ride it has been.  God bless you creek and your family you are an inspiration and a leader to your kids and family. Keep it up and live intentionally :)

Merry Christmas !!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 12:35:03 PM »
Just an observation:
I was drawn to SUP forums for info about boards.... but:

The single most important thread to me, was strandleper's on the Zone.... "How are you getting Primal?"
It literally changed my life... and my kids lives.... and my ex-wife's life. We are all so much healthier, thinner and constantly assessing our food sources.
After that great start, I appreciate the continued conversation relating to health and well being.

When I shared the joy on another SUP forum, I was shouted down... "We don't come to a SUP forum to read about diet fads" ... the thread died a quick and painful death. Oh well  ???

My point:
The Zone is a rich resource for so many topics that lead to fuller enjoyment of SUP and life in general.
So much thoughtful discussion, by so many fine thinkers.... I thank you all :)

Follow up:
Financial limits and rising costs of everything "organic" led to a slow gain of 15 lbs this year, so conversations like this help me to find a balance between affordable and healthy.... it shows me areas to focus my limited resources, to maintain good health and fitness.

I'm a happy loser again ;)

As is my way... pictures to back up the words.

Awesome!

A few pictures worth thousands of words!
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
Holy crap Creek, those pictures are awesome!  Your knees must be loving you!

I'll be staying away from that primal crap.  I'd vanish!
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
Your daughter must be stoked. Appearance is so much more important to girls at that age. She went from chunkster to damned cute in very short order.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »
Thanks guys!
Yes... she is super stoked :D

I think I was happier than her.... I still get weak and smiley when I see the pictures. I always blamed myself for her poor eating choices. I should have insisted on healthier foods... but then, I was raised on meat, potato, bread, pasta... yada yada.... till we were saved by a leper ;D

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 10:59:11 PM »
Don't know how primal I have gotten, but SUP has been great for my health generally, as long as it doesn't croak me from ocean injury.

I just went to Medicare this month and had my blood tests done on the old insurance before the Medicare kicks in and it starts to cost.  I couldn't have asked for better results if I were 25, they improved over the results I had two years ago before I started SUP.  And my weight dropped by about 30 to 35 pounds the first year I SUPd on a regular basis.

Now, if I can just get that surf twisted knee to heal!
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 04:34:41 AM »
We developed our own and still are early in the testing phase to determine if health changes and weight loss are "permanent".  It seems that specific individualized health care and fitness may be key moving forward for many.

I completely believe this.  Sugar has proven to be 90% for me.  That was the big one.  Starch varies.  Rice and Pasta stop me in my tracks, guarantee a brain fog and a nap...and stick to the sides.  Potatoes and Bread both work great for me - no crash and gone in morning.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
We happen to be in the same boat when it comes to pasta and rice.  3 months ago cut most of it out as triglycerides were higher than normal.  Latest test results show a positive change so the diet change worked well for us too.  Best   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »
If I use weight as a yardstick, then I've made no progress to speak of in the last ten years. I was about 250 then, I'm 240 now. But I suspect if I had continued on the path I was following, I'd be pushing 300. I've gone from 44 waist to 38 and sometimes 36. Diane and I are restricting alcohol to social situations--none at home. We'll keep tweaking the diet. But I'm 68, and I can still paddle ten miles at a hard pace and feel fine afterwards.

I had to quit reading the Fuhrman book, the guy is as full of shit as a Christmas Turkey. He could be absolutely right about the diet he's pitching, but after a career in Marketing, my bullshit detector is pretty good, and this guy is someone I couldn't have a two-minute conversation with, never mind a beer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2015, 03:25:46 PM »

But I'm 68, and I can still paddle ten miles at a hard pace and feel fine afterwards.

Mate I'm only 44 hopefully by the time I'm 68 I can match you. I'm stoked to have so much to look forward to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
PB, good that you changed years ago.

No doubt tweaking your diet can be good to get things just right.  After 16 months we seem to have figured out a good base diet that works well for our whole family.  Best   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2015, 08:41:09 PM »
Surfing is good.  Couch surfing is not.  Keep surfing.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »
Avoid processed foods and keep up with the exercise regime is what my Dr. mentioned to me at my last physical will keep ya livin the dream !!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 05:52:51 PM »
Avoid processed foods and keep up with the exercise regime is what my Dr. mentioned to me at my last physical will keep ya livin the dream !!
Rather than avoiding processed foods try to "limit" them. Otherwise at birthday parties you'll get no cake. You just have to be smart about things
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2015, 04:43:42 AM »
Supsurf - ^^^  Best  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal