Author Topic: Best windsurfing Rigs for Fanatic Boards?  (Read 1478 times)

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Best windsurfing Rigs for Fanatic Boards?
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
Forum brethren,

Any thoughts on which would be the best windsurfing rig for my Fanatic Allwave or Flywave? How hard would it be to self teach windsurfing with very limited prior experience? Should I start on the intracoastal or the ocean?  I windsurfed a couple of times well over 15 years ago on a calm bay but remember stories of beginners tiring themselves out and struggling to return to shore? Appreciate any feedback
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best windsurfing Rigs for Fanatic Boards?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:09:15 AM »
Sails with Bulls:

The Allwave is great for sailing. I previously owned and sailed the AW9'2".  Good fun.

In my experience:

* SUPs provide much more stable footing than a true windsurfer.  WSurfs tend to have domed decks, which makes them unstable when standing around flat-footed during lightwind sailing and uphauling (lifting the sail out of the water).  For learning, the stability of a SUP is ideal, IMO.

* SUPs don't really "plane" at high windspeeds.  (They motor along, but don't take off like a rocketship.)  Still a lot of fun.  I'd rather sail on a windy day, than paddle.

Self-teaching definitely possible -- an initial lesson wouldn't hurt, but oh well.  Definitely start somewhere w/o waves.  Someplace w/ knee-deep water would be great.  Key tip:  don't sail if the winds are off-shore.  You might have to swim/paddle the board back if you go in off-shore winds.

Best windsurfing rig would be something manageable.  Maybe 5.0 sail size to start, up to 6.5 once you are confident and want more power.  JimK on the zone sells Aerotech all-in-one rigs.  Might not be a bad idea.  (The downside of wsurfing is you need mast/boom/sail/mastfoot/mast extension to get started.)  If you have the interest and desire though, it is worth learning!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:13:04 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best windsurfing Rigs for Fanatic Boards?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
Thanks so much spookini that is very helpful
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal