Author Topic: Beating a dead horse  (Read 18135 times)

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Beating a dead horse
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »
Stretching before and after helps a ton regardless of what the studies say. As great as yoga is, stretching and calisthenics achieve the same results.
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Recovery gets longer as my nose and ear hair gets harder to control.
  :)
All of the sudden, they just show up out of nowhere......like all that other fun stuff. wtf.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:13:23 PM by lucabrasi »

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »
I often limp to a good massage therapist after a big session.  Helps get everything sorted out until next time...
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »
I"m a big believer in a weekly massage. I hear that Boyum is a great masseuse, but I prefer my massage from women. Call me crazy...

I think if boyum massaged me we'd both be a bundle of nerves at the end. Hard to see how that would help.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »
Deep tissue massage (lomilomi) is incredible.  I'm very happy with the results.  The gal that works me over is a wizard.  I've been good friends with she and her boyfriend for many years.  She's a very skilled paddler.  Super smart girl with a background in western medicine, trained in Hawaiian massage in Hana. 

The improvements she's brought lately to my shoulders and hips are stunning. 

That's what you need stoney.  That and some good resistance stretching.  It's unbeatable. 

PB you are such an idiot.  Any pro or serious amateur athlete will sing the praises of massage.  And it's masseur, not masseuse.  You should be so lucky to have HM work on you on a regular basis.  Bodywork has kept people healthy for thousands of years.     
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »
Was there some part of "I get one once a week" you didn't understand? Been doing that for ten years.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:42:00 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 08:23:17 AM »
I"m a big believer in a weekly massage. I hear that Boyum is a great masseuse, but I prefer my massage from women. Call me crazy...

I think if boyum massaged me we'd both be a bundle of nerves at the end. Hard to see how that would help.
My wife started going for a massage on a once a month package deal and she swears by it now.  Yea, big surprise there.  Newsflash, people like winning the lottery too.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »
I got a massage once after running the Disney Marathon.  It helped immensely but I was creeped out by the guy getting too close to ground zero.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 09:22:24 AM »
HM has an amazing sense of what is bothering you. I didn't realize the pain and tightness i had in my shoulders was that visible at dinner that night at Ponohouse. I was shocked how much better it felt after just a couple minutes.

We have a massage school that gives free massages after the CCBC...one of the best things we've ever done.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
Oh PB, where to begin...

The last time I talked to you (when I picked up your very dusty outrigger for cove to try) we talked about your shoulder.  You were on your way back to the mainland for surgery. 

I recommended massage and HM, because he's old and wise and does some top athletes.  Those guys aren't there for a rub and a tug, they need results.  I was stunned when you said you didn't like massage because someone was always trying to hurt you.  And that HM would probably enjoy having you on the table so he could bring the pain. 

I'm sure you were joking and am glad to hear that you get treatment once a week.

To be honest PB, I find your tales hard to decipher sometimes.  You never mentioned that you get regular massage.  I came away from that visit feeling very sad for you.  All smashed up, all that money and no massage?  Truly bizarre.

I had one a few days ago.  I was hoping for some huffing and puffing on my bike ride back to my truck last night, but she's got my chi flowing so good it was effortless.  Maybe I'll start swimming in a pool again.   That used to tax my cardio to no end.         

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »
I don't recall the conversation, but you of all people should know how full of shit I am. All the same, there wasn't anything that someone massaging the outside would have done for my shoulder. Two completely severed tendons, a chunk knocked out of the joint, two other torn muscles.

But to perhaps bring some clarity, both Diane and I have been getting great massages every week for years. If we didn't I'd probably be in a walker. The real reason I wouldn't use Bill is simply that we're good friends and I treasure that relationship. I don't use friends as financial advisers or as lawyers or coaches. You need to be able to change those relationships if you simply want to. I'd never risk a great friendship that way.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
I hear ya. Drinking TONS of water before and after a sesh, for me, makes for a lot less soreness the day after. Stretching before (which I rarely do  enough of) helps a lot too. Isn't it great though, to still be so stoked on something that you want to do it for hours?  ;D

To continue with the equestrian metaphors....my body feels like it's been ridden hard and put away wet. My head gave me a rough week in work last week and has been bugging me a lot more than usual lately. I've got a broken middle finger on my right hand, a cut that probably should've gotten a couple of stitches on a left finger, a left shoulder that thinks I'm an idiot, along with a weak left arm and pins and needles from my right elbow to my fingertips. I think all the arm/shoulder stuff stems from a neck problem that has nagged me for awhile now.

So I did about 5 hours on Saturday...3 on my 9 and I goofed off on my 14 (video to follow) for a couple. I was so sore on Sunday I could hardly get out of bed....which I had to do at 5 since I was helping my daughter setup the Making Strides breast cancer walk on the cape (so proud of that kid, but that's another story). Then we did the walk.....just 4 miles but I did the last two with a 40 lb granddaughter on my shoulders using my ears as reigns (maybe that's what made me think of a horse theme here... :D) Then helped her pack it all up.... :P

Today I just feel beat....all i wanted to do when I woke up was take some ibuprofen and go back to sleep...maybe with a few ice packs. Real bad Monday.

I need to get things looked at with my neck...scares the hell outta me though for some reason. Not sure if ortho or or chiro is better and know of horror stories both ways.
I also need to get serious about working out more...amazing how fast stuff deteriorates. This getting old shit really sucks!

OK...end of rant.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »
i take a good deep tissue from the non-happy-ending chinese bodywork place round the corner from my house here in brooklyn--nice women, they will take you to the edge of pain, and you are left feeling so well--id choose good aggro deep tissue over chiro any day
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
Massage is definitely good....hard to believe I'd never had one until after last years CCBC.... ::)

I still need to have someone look at my neck, I have a few instances in my life where my neck took a beating (lucky I'm not paralyzed or worse actually). I think a lot of the arm issues stem from that.....not sure massage would do much for it. Worth trying though before I have any more invasive attempts to fix it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »
I've tried getting massages, but I've found the people I've got them from tend to be manipulative.

I guess the lack of good masseurs/masseuses here is probably due to a lack of respect for the profession, especially in regard to masseurs.  In contrast, when I was in France, it seemed they were highly respected--the men anyway--to the point that a masseur is addressed by his title, the same way a doctor is here.  Thus, just as I'd be introduced to  "Professeur Dupont" or "Docteur Dubois" I'd be introduced to "Masseur Rousseau".  Not surprisingly--probably due to this respect--it seemed like almost every man I met there was a masseur.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal