Author Topic: Garage build 2  (Read 4910 times)

Jradtke

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Garage build 2
« on: October 19, 2014, 04:56:51 PM »
Inspired by photos of the L41 ST. Wanted a more aggressive shape than my original.  Very happy with the shape and ride not totally happy with some cosmetic stuff. Carbon dust got into some of the weave and I couldn't vacuum or blow it out.  I used the Greenroom Blanco epoxy which is crazy bright and white so all my slight blemishes seem magnified. After having a great first day on the board I've accepted the cosmetic flaws and I think this board will rip.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:01:25 PM by jradtke »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Garage build 2
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:42:05 AM »
Looks like a winner.  It would look good in my garage too! ;)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »
How does this one ride? I'm curious as to how far from the Simmons core shape and still get the benefits.

I notice the rails are less parallel and the nose and tail are a bit more pulled in.

How's it go and compare to the first one?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:36:38 PM »
Your cosmetic issue reminds me of an experiment I tried at the beginning of the summer. You might want to try carbon tow on the rails or the whole board sometime. It's cheap and surprisingly effective. I've been playing with randomly spread carbon tow to see how much it reinforces fiberglass. I made five  4" X 12" test cards laid up on window glass with two layers of some hideously stiff 6 OZ S glass I got that I'll probably never use. After they all kicked I painted each with epoxy and squeegeed them lightly, then spread varied amount of tow on four of them. I worked the tow into the epoxy and then spread the tow out with chopsticks so it looks like black flames, or some kind of very strange spiderweb. On one I spread three stands, the next four, then five, and six. Three strands looks like nothing much, six is pretty heavy, and four and five look pretty bitchin'. I think the tow I used was 3k but it might have been 6. I have a spool end of each. I think they cost me ten bucks each on eBay.

The surprise is the stiffness. Even three stands more than doubles the stiffness. I measured that by clamping one end, placing a 8 ounce weight on the end and measuring deflection. No strands deflected about 1.1 inches. three stands deflected a little less than half an inch. More strands deflected less, but my measurement system wasn't really accurate enough to say how much. Bottom line is there's a difference, and Tow is dirt cheap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »
What is Tow?

Your cosmetic issue reminds me of an experiment I tried at the beginning of the summer. You might want to try carbon tow on the rails or the whole board sometime. It's cheap and surprisingly effective. I've been playing with randomly spread carbon tow to see how much it reinforces fiberglass. I made five  4" X 12" test cards laid up on window glass with two layers of some hideously stiff 6 OZ S glass I got that I'll probably never use. After they all kicked I painted each with epoxy and squeegeed them lightly, then spread varied amount of tow on four of them. I worked the tow into the epoxy and then spread the tow out with chopsticks so it looks like black flames, or some kind of very strange spiderweb. On one I spread three stands, the next four, then five, and six. Three strands looks like nothing much, six is pretty heavy, and four and five look pretty bitchin'. I think the tow I used was 3k but it might have been 6. I have a spool end of each. I think they cost me ten bucks each on eBay.

The surprise is the stiffness. Even three stands more than doubles the stiffness. I measured that by clamping one end, placing a 8 ounce weight on the end and measuring deflection. No strands deflected about 1.1 inches. three stands deflected a little less than half an inch. More strands deflected less, but my measurement system wasn't really accurate enough to say how much. Bottom line is there's a difference, and Tow is dirt cheap.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »

Well done jradtke!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:18:20 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »
Pono, 3k, 6k? Describe the tow. Looks good for a rail or weird stringer replacement/design element.

Jradtke

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »
#3  it's 9x32. This one turned out really nice. No carbon dust.  Catches little ankle high waves with ease.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal