Author Topic: Removing and reapplying Railsaver Pro  (Read 4395 times)

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Removing and reapplying Railsaver Pro
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has successfully removed Railsaver Pro from a board and reapplied to another board? I currently have it on my 10'5 WP but have been thinking if it would be possible for me to take it off and put it on my 8''11 Allwave?
I'm guessing that the use of a hairdryer would help with the removal but would it then still stick well enough to use again?
Any advice would be gratefully received!
Diolch/Thanks!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Removing and reapplying Railsaver Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
I'm curious to read replies on this too.

I had RSP on my SIC Bullet 14. When I let the board go, I removed the Railsaver, didn't do anything special, just peeled it off slowly on a warm day - about 90 degrees ambient temp. I temporarily stuck it on my non- porous board bag exterior so that it wouldn't stick to itself. I left it on the board bag for about a week, then peeled it up and applied it to my 9'8" DP Maui SUS board. No problems, it's been on the SUS for a couple months and has adhered perfectly.

It did take a little surface layer of gloss paint off a few small spots when I removed it from the Bullet. Don't know if I could have somehow avoided that. Anyway, I'd say I had pretty much a hacker approach to the whole transfer - I figured there wasn't much to lose. I do wonder if there's a better way though.....I'm sure there'll be a next time for this process.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
I moved mine forward on my Bullet 17 V2. I was getting whacks ahead of the tape. Good reach! Bad form.

I didn't do anything special. Peeled it slowly off, laid it on the hood of my truck with the adhesive face up. I might have laid something on the ends to prevent curling--don't remember. Cleaned the rail with windex, stuck it back on. No problemos.

I'm going to replace the narrow tape on my Hood River Bullet V1 with wider tape and put the narrow stuff on my Foote 9.0. I don't anticipate problems. The narrow tape has been in place less than a year, the V2 tape was on there for two years before I moved it. It was still almost flawless--a couple of little nicks on the lower edge.

Pretty weird that you can do this. The stuff feels expensive when you buy it, but when I think that mine could outlast several boards, it's pretty reasonable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:08:07 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 03:08:53 PM »
I kept the original peel off backing and the box, and when I sold a board, I took the RSP off and put the backing on.  Two weeks later I stuck on the new Kings board and that was about 8 months ago.  No problems of peeling yet.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:08:12 AM »
I went super cheap and I've been using duct tape. Works well so far.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »
Thanks for the tips and advice! I'll give it a go and see how I get on with reapplying it. I remember that the adhesive was pretty strong when I first applied it, so I might warm it up a little with a hairdryer first. I'll let you know hiw I get on!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »

Duct tape doesn't cushion the strikes enough. When you pull it off there will be lots of paint coming with it. Hard to see how it's helpful. And yes, I tried it--on a JL11er about a zillion years ago. I still remember what the rail looked like after. I got a silly amount of money for that board, even delammed and with ripped up rails--it was during the great SUP famine when you couldn't buy a board. I bet a lot of you don't know what I'm talking about.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »

Duct tape doesn't cushion the strikes enough. When you pull it off there will be lots of paint coming with it. Hard to see how it's helpful. And yes, I tried it--on a JL11er about a zillion years ago. I still remember what the rail looked like after. I got a silly amount of money for that board, even delammed and with ripped up rails--it was during the great SUP famine when you couldn't buy a board. I bet a lot of you don't know what I'm talking about.

The 12-6 starboard had duct tape on the rails when Bill gave it to me....when I took it off it took a bunch of paint with it. Never again duct tape.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »
Some people bang their rails so hard it won't matter what kind of tape you use:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25435.msg258894.html#msg258894

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
--it was during the great SUP famine when you couldn't buy a board. I bet a lot of you don't know what I'm talking about.

Very appreciative of tribal elders who retain our story.  Was the great SUP famine worse than the Wavestorm Plague?
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
It's an oral tradition that will be handed down as a chant. Or maybe a country western song. I think it was 2006, before JL started landing containers in every state, but you couldn't buy a SUP in Maui. I mentioned on Ponohouse (the blog) that I was going to sell my delammed, beat up JL 11er and I got a stampede of emails. Now that I think about it, I didn't sell that board. Lenny at Hawaiian Island grabbed it back from me and Jimmy gave me a new one. Lenny shot it full of foam and epoxy and made a rental out of it. I bet he got fifty times the value of that board in rentals. I used to see it in the water almost every day.

The board I sold for stupid money was a Laird. The original one that Ron House shaped and Laird was selling directly. It was a second that Hi Tech wanted a big discount on, so Laird took it back and Uncle Teddy sold it to me for 1200 bucks. I kept it for about three months, hated it, and sold it for 1600 to a guy who practically kissed my feet. "This came straight from Laird?" Yeah, sort of.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal