Author Topic: Problem with sup air valve! Easy fix?  (Read 35813 times)

Isub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Problem with sup air valve! Easy fix?
« on: October 19, 2014, 12:24:06 PM »
Hi guys!

I have a problem with the air valve of my SUP. Does anyone know if there is a easy fix?

See video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7VbCQV_Aw

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with sup air valve! Easy fix?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 04:53:18 PM »
The valves are usually replaceable, but you need the right wrench to get them out. For that matter if you get the valve out you might be able to repair it, I'd guess it's either a misaligned gasket or a piece of junk on the valve face.

I'm not familiar with that particular valve, but the concentric ring in the inside of the large bezel looks like it has fingers in it that a wrench might grab and let you turn the valve out. The guys here at Big Winds in Hood River have all the bits and stuff to fix these things, your local shop might have them too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »
You know the valve has an "open" and "closed" position, right?

To properly inflate, leave the valve in the "closed" position.  Don't pump while in the "open" position.  "Open" is only used when deflating the board.  (If you leave the valve open while pumping, air will rush out as soon you disconnect the pump head -- as shown in your video.)

Try closing the valve before inflating your board.  An easy fix  ;).
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
Yes push the valve stem down a bit and turn until it pops up, then the valve is closed.  If the valve is broken, most boards come with a repair kit that has a valve tool to unscrew it so you check it or replace it, should be an easy fix.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
Yep, I hate it when I get it all pumped up, take the pump off, and there she blows.
Looks like you pop it up at around :42 which makes me think you were pumping it up in the open position like has been said,
Do you have the right valve adapter on your pump? There are a few out there and some will have plastic or rubber washers on them to add or take away to make it function properly for your valve.  Some will have a little cross bar of plastic on the nozzle itself that will push the valve in when connected. Will the pump nozzle push the valve in when the valve is in the closed position? You may have an adapter that won't do that and it will only take on air in the open position. Some of those adapters look very similar but won't swap out with each other very well or at the least without some tinkering. Find out what kind of valve is on your board and make sure you have the right valve adapter on your pump. If the pump came with your board from the factory there should be some stuff with it to make it work properly. If not, get the right adapter for your pump.
Got to be pretty darn quick to make it work the way it's going there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:14:58 PM by lucabrasi »

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 11:12:56 PM »
Refer to your manual….
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:17:24 AM »
The little button in the centre needs to be in the out position for retaining air and pushed in to let the air out. Sometimes the hoses have a plastic bar inside the connector. This pushes the button in when it is attached to the inlet. If your hose has the bar like the one of the left in the picture below, use some long nosed pliers and twist it out. This will stop the button being pressed in on connection.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »
^^ What they said.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

sheppertonsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
Assumption is the bar is twisting valve to lock out? I think some manfacturers stopped putting that bar in so relying on air pressure from the pump to open the valve.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

airSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • air-SUP.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 11:38:59 PM »
remove the valve using a valve wrench and check it...

I haven't seen one like this for a few years...

seems to me like either the spring is faulty
or
the rubber seal inside needs to be reseated / replaced
or
you need to replace the entire outer part of the valve.

if you need to replace the outer part of the valve, try get the part from your SUP manufacturer because the thread  on them can vary just a little meaning if you get this part from someone else it might not fit back in well!
Brett Bennett
Owner : airSUP inflatable SUPs
Web: http://air-SUP.com

Isub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 02:17:42 AM »
You know the valve has an "open" and "closed" position, right?

To properly inflate, leave the valve in the "closed" position.  Don't pump while in the "open" position.  "Open" is only used when deflating the board.  (If you leave the valve open while pumping, air will rush out as soon you disconnect the pump head -- as shown in your video.)

Try closing the valve before inflating your board.  An easy fix  ;).

Thanks for al the reply's

I know the valve has an open and a closed position. I am sure it is in the closed position every time I start pumping. It seems that the hose of the pump will turn the inner part to the open position as soon as the pressure is over a few psi.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal