Author Topic: Would you have a Prone Shaper shape you an SUP?  (Read 6355 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would you have a Prone Shaper shape you an SUP?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
funny thing is I had 4 boards shaped by infiniti  Boehene   loved those boards for prone,   but his shapes for  sup left me cold  just didn't  seem   to be like iwanted them to be so my first  custom I went with Dave Daum  and loved his work.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
My 75yo neighbor likes my Vernor so much that he took it over to Bob Pearson of Pearson Arrow fame to model a custom board.  He wants a "Cadillac" board that is easy to balance and turn in short term waves with chop, and he will keep his regular Pearson Arrow Laird 10'6" for calm long period swell conditions. I gathered that Pearson is an old school prone shaper who got into SUP kind of after the fact. 

I was surprised he did this when I lent the Vernor to him.  Pearson measured it at 9'1" (maybe along the rocker rather than shadow length), no stringer and 18 pounds.  I didn't think it was that light. He also noted the foot dents due to the unreinforced  layering under the foot pad.

I got the impression that Pearson is one of those hard core, old school long board types, but he said he generally liked the Vernor, too, but suggested some mods, i.e. a 9'3" board, width around 33" for extreme balance comfort,  narrow the rail thickness, reduce the nose rocker a little for glide, and increase the tail rocker a little with a rounded rather than diamond tail.  He wanted it to preserve some long board characteristics while being short enough to turn more easily.

He mentioned some other things that I didn't quite understand, but I am eager to see the result in a month or so when the board is finished.  He also suggested finishes that would maintain strength but keep the board light for my neighbor to carry.

I have to admit, after being able to stand on my neighbor's Pearson Arrow Laird 10'6" 29.75" wide board, I have an odd affection for it, even though it is hard to turn when catching a wave and has its balance challenges for me.  I can see why these boards are so popular and ubiquitous around Santa Cruz for their wave behavior.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »
Wow.  Bob Pearson is spot on again.  I have the 9.3 by 33 and thinned out and it surfs great.  Mine is in carbon and it is my easy comfortable surf sup.  Stable for a big guy but still fast and fun.  It got good glide and surfs in anything.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 07:38:55 PM »

I've gone round and around talking to a local shaper about how I "would" want my Sup to be shaped. He just doesn't believe in shaping a stand-up that's only 24" wide.

So I took out his 8'0"x24" 'BIG GUY' surfboard just to prove that it works as a stand-up board.

After his disbelief was taken care of, we decided to fine tune what the specs should be.

I think shapers might come off as being insulted when you try and tell them how you (cash-in-hand buyer) want your board to come out like...and that may be just because they haven't shaped many boards that are off the normal template.

I still haven't gotten that board shaped, because I'm just afraid that he won't make it exactly how I want. Oh well… The search continues.

I'm guessing it's Joe B?  I do like his boards but he can be set in his ways...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal