Author Topic: KeNalu Quick Clamp Adjustable Shaft UD Carbon  (Read 7076 times)

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
KeNalu Quick Clamp Adjustable Shaft UD Carbon
« on: October 18, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »
I have a shoulder that sometimes gives me some problems and I’ve read a lot of comments about the xTuf(s) shafts being easy on the shoulders.
KeNalu has had their “Quick Clamp Adjustable Shaft UD Carbon” shaft available for a while now, but I haven’t seen much feedback. I like the idea of "one paddle fits all" and being able to adjust on-the-fly.
Anyone using one of these? How does it feel compared to an xTuf(s)?
It's all relative.

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: KeNalu Quick Clamp Adjustable Shaft UD Carbon
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »
Yes, I've got one. I also have a bad shoulder although since I went down to the Wicki Blade (smaller) and an xTuf Shaft it has gotten better. I also moved down my surf paddle to an inch over head high and that helps also. A few weeks back I used my wife's paddle which is longer and a bigger catch on a flat water paddle with a race training board, and the shoulder flaired up again. I think the combo of a little bit more flex and a smaller blade and shorter length might help your shoulder too!
Good luck!

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 05:57:21 PM »
Thanks Fanman. From what I understand, the Quick Clamp Adjustables use a different shaft, and was curious how they compare to the xTuf(s) shafts. Also the feel/performance of the Quick clamp vs an xTuf(s) with extended Ergo T.
It's all relative.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »
I'm also very interested in the quick clamp shaft but there is little info on the website. Would be nice to know how much heavier and how much stiffer it is than the other shafts. The carbon 100 shafts usually irritate my shoulders but the xtuf never does. I'm carefully trying a carbon 90 with a Hooloa blade  and am doing well so far, it is faster than the xtuf shaft for me.

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »
I have the quick clamp with the extendable T handle. I used it to dial in the length that I wanted and then hot glued it in that spot. It is very easy to do with a hair dryer and a glue gun. I thought that the quick clamp would bother me with hand positioning, but it was a not issue. I believe that it will fit on all of their other shafts since the extended T handle would also! The clamp just goes over the top and is tightend up with an Allen wrench. It's quick and easy to adjust!
If you have just one paddle for both flat water and SUSing or need an extra paddle that can be adjusted easily, this option works great! The handle itself I don't think would add much weight at all, just heat up the hot glue slide it up or down a bit and presto it's an adjustable paddle! It's a great idea and it works good too!

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
I hope all of the info that I have given to you is accurate. I definitely don't know a 100% but I do have 3 of their paddles and have exchanged the extendable T handle for a regular T and there were no issues as far as sizing etc.

You might contact Lane with questions!

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
Thanks fanman, but there is a quick clamp that just clicks and does not require glue and allen wrenches like the extendable handle attachment. Lane needs to add more description of it to the site.

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback Fanman.
I was mainly interested in the "Quick Clamp Adjustable Shaft UD Carbon". I like the idea of being able to make quick adjustments out in the water and really dial in what works best, as apposed to the "Adjustable Part" ($10.00) that you need a tool to adjust, or just the Extended Ergo Handle that I'd have to come in from the water, heat and adjust. I did contact Lane not long after the The Quick Clamp  came out and it does use a different shaft. Thought  maybe now that it has been out for a while more people may have used them. I really do need an "one-paddle-does-all" and may just end up going with the xTuf(S) and Extended Ergo T handle since there is a lot of positive feed back on xTuf(S) shaft.
It's all relative.

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
Easy to make on water adjustments with the adjustable collar (though I'm sure not as easy as the clamp), just don't drop the hex key! I carry one and have done it numerous times. I got it with the plan of dialling in length and then gluing but I like the versatility of adjusting and don't notice it so have left it on.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »
I use the adjust collar with hex nuts. Keep a hex key in the car and adjust it for waves or flatwater.  Wiki blade and  xtuf S shaft helped my shoulders too.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
As I've previously noted, I think paddles that are adjustable "on the fly" offer tremendous advantages. The only paddle that I'm aware of that accomplishes this presently are the Werners. Are there any other?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

neves

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 07:38:33 AM »
I also want to know how it is to adjust the UD Quick Clamp. Would a child be able to adjust it while on the water?

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
I have the Quick Clamp on the UD Carbon Shaft with a Wiki Blade and it has really helped me recover from a shoulder injury.  I bought it to be able to change the length of my paddle on the water and the "adjustable part" just didn't turn me on.

The only down side to the Quick Clamp is when adjusting, you have to always make sure that handle is even with the blade.  If it is slightly askew, and you start paddling, it really throws you off, then you have to stop and fiddle with it until it is even.  I have the Quickblade Adjustable with the dual pin clips and although they only have preset adjustments, the blades are always even with the handle.

For kids, I would suggest something with the dual pin clips.  Actually, when my son turned 12 and was into SUP for a solid two years is when I bought the Quickblade Adjustable for him to grow into for the next few years.  He wouldn't have the patience to make sure that blade is even with the KeNalu.

Rogue Wave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Jimmy Lewis Canada
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
Let's clear up a couple of things.

There are two adjustable systems from Ke Nalu. The first is the adjustable part that requires a hex key to adjust and uses the standard tapered shafts with an extended handle.
The second is known as a Quick Clamp and doesn't require tools, but comes with a uni-directional non-tapered shaft.

I find that the non-tapered shaft feels quite a bit stiffer than even the 100Flex shaft, so if your shoulders are giving you problems, I'd suggest going with the xTuf(s) or xTuf regular shaft with the adjustable part. Just don't forget (or drop!) the hex key if you need to make changes on the water.

Lee
www.kenalupaddles.com (Canada only)
Jimmy Lewis Canada

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »
Hey Guys, 

I've used them all in a wide variety of conditions and the Quick Clamp Adjustable Shaft UD Carbon is a little heavier and feels a little stiffer than than the xTuf UD Carbon shafts.  With such a wide range of adjustment possibilities it's a nice to have for sizing up the right paddle length for a new board where you can adjust on the fly, or just having one paddle for many different sized paddlers but for me the extended ergo T is better and even better is just a plain old one piece KeNalu.  I've really gone shorter on my paddle length the last couple years - my Konihi race paddle is only 6" over my height and my surf paddle is  about 1" over.  I've had shoulder issues from surf & prone paddling and SUP has never really aggravated it but the xTuf shafts and Wiki blades really feel great.  Also the T handle has a new design and it's got a really small diameter under the T allowing you to hook your thumb under the handle even more.  I'm in south OC if you ever want to check out any of my demos. 

Enjoy!
Chris
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal