Author Topic: Are you a SUP addict?  (Read 5538 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are you a SUP addict?
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »
Do you find yourself thinking about paddling while you are at work?
When you talk SUP to your wife, does she roll her eyes and say, "This again"?
Does most of your ideas for a good vacation include SUP somehow?
Does your garage look like a combination SUP shop and SUP graveyard?
Are there usually dripping wetsuits hanging around your home?
Does your definition of enough boards include the words, "Just one more"?

Are you a SUP addict?  If so, why?  Or am I the only one?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:35:24 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are you a SUP addict?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
nope  u  are not alone.   I ream of borads look at boards  m says I am cheating on my  boards if   i get another board.  yeah I am an addict
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
I knew I was an addict, but when it really hit home for me was when I re separated  my shoulder about a week ago in a retarded wake skate accident and I've spent the last 7 nights waking up in cold sweats wondering if I'll ever paddle again. Withdrawal is heavier than the high.
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »
Your a SUP addict when you comb thru the classifieds on the zone, on craigslist, and on distressed mullet daily searching for the next big "score" (great deal on used board).

I find myself searching daily often finding a good "score" but hundreds or thousands of miles away, yet I plot and plan how I can get my hands on the SUP goods. I even check flights seeing if I can zip in and out in one day. Checking what friend or relative lives nearby and could possibly be my mule.

The other side of the addiction, the possible storm swell. Now here's one that causes sleepless nights, missed work, lying and sneaking around, checking the forcast every hour waiting for that next big fix.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:31:39 PM »
Your a SUP addict when you comb thru the classifieds on the zone, on craigslist, and on distressed mullet daily searching for the next big "score" (great deal on used board).

I find myself searching daily often finding a good "score" but hundreds or thousands of miles away, yet I plot and plan how I can get my hands on the SUP goods. I even check flights seeing if I can zip in and out in one day. Checking what friend or relative lives nearby and could possibly be my mule.

The other side of the addiction, the possible storm swell. Now here's one that causes sleepless nights, missed work, lying and sneaking around, checking the forcast every hour waiting for that next big fix.
Dude, you are hard core.  I am not worthy in your presence.  :)
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
No, ocean, yes, SUP, no, I'm too spread out.
Just being honest.
It takes a quiver to do that.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Watched "Print the Legend" the other night on Netflix...
All about the 3D printing revolution...

Interesting concept, I thought.
But what the hell would I use a 3D printer for??

About 2 days later it hit me:
I could print a f*cking simSUP.

Turn it on before going to work.
Come home to a new board.   8)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:04:38 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:06:40 AM »
I am a surf addict. Been surfing since age 12. Sup may be the best form of surfing I have ever done. But
I live to surf and surf to live. Sup is the tool now.

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
Guess I'm a SUP addict...  I sold 3 boards last week, but my 6 space rack is still full. 

Still making trips to the local stores even if I need nothing, combing craig's list, waiting for a score.  My employer tracks my internet usage and knows full well I spend more time on Surfline and the Zone than I do on work-related sites...

Wife has given up - she commiserated with her girlfriends and they said, 'Hey, men spend their money on lots worse stuff - be happy!'

10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

RunningBull

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 04:48:39 PM »
Yes and I still get an endorphin release every time I catch a wave
9'1 Allwave, 9'8 nsp cocomat
Starboard whopper, 10'6 Flywave, J. Lewis Stun Gun 9'7, Merrick Surftech 9'1

Respect all styles

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »
Me too.  Nothing like it. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »
lake atlantic all round me--i am jonesing hard--windless glass, sunny, flaaaaat
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
lake atlantic all round me--i am jonesing hard--windless glass, sunny, flaaaaat

eastbound, what do you think of the Walden Magic SUP you have?  I love my 8' Walden Mega Magic prone board, but I have heard mixed reviews on the Walden SUPs.   I've always been interested in them because the Waldens are pretty much my favorite prone boards ever. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »
i have a 9 0 waldem magic carbon perf longboard which i like(d) a lot. My proner brother uses it when we surf togter in small stuff. somewhat based on that i bought the walden sup. it was fine to get used to standing, which took about 10 times paddling on a usually very choppy bay. took it surfing a few times, found it a beast, esp on a nice head high day, so i went down to the starboard. then saw some L41's on a trip to santa Cruz and got one. walden now gathers dust, kids, and friends i bring with when it's small and uncrowded. and i use it to mess around on the bay in front of my CT house. so, net, i dont really know re the smaller more surfable waldens. last i checked, they dont run as wide as i have found i like in the starboard and the L41. the waledn magig sup's have the same step down rails that the L41 s3 does.

on the big day with the walden i tried to paddle through a breaking lip and board came down on me hard--i was ok, shrugged it off, found a pressure crack full width on bottom of board when i got out. funny now--i kind of marveled that i was lucky not to have gotten whacked badly. at first i thought id torqued my rack strap too hard.

lotta coffee--no surf==long winded blather---so now you know better

also i am a much better skier than surfer, despite having surfed off and on my whole life--so take all i say with grin of salt

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
i have a 9 0 waldem magic carbon perf longboard which i like(d) a lot. My proner brother uses it when we surf togter in small stuff. somewhat based on that i bought the walden sup. it was fine to get used to standing, which took about 10 times paddling on a usually very choppy bay. took it surfing a few times, found it a beast, esp on a nice head high day, so i went down to the starboard. then saw some L41's on a trip to santa Cruz and got one. walden now gathers dust, kids, and friends i bring with when it's small and uncrowded. and i use it to mess around on the bay in front of my CT house. so, net, i dont really know re the smaller more surfable waldens. last i checked, they dont run as wide as i have found i like in the starboard and the L41. the waledn magig sup's have the same step down rails that the L41 s3 does.

on the big day with the walden i tried to paddle through a breaking lip and board came down on me hard--i was ok, shrugged it off, found a pressure crack full width on bottom of board when i got out. funny now--i kind of marveled that i was lucky not to have gotten whacked badly. at first i thought id torqued my rack strap too hard.

lotta coffee--no surf==long winded blather---so now you know better

also i am a much better skier than surfer, despite having surfed off and on my whole life--so take all i say with grin of salt

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal