Author Topic: New Tail Handle  (Read 101914 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: New Tail Handle
« Reply #210 on: April 27, 2015, 06:39:22 PM »
More discussion with NSI, there is reinforcement. Two layers of dense foam with the same reinforcement in between that they use in their footstraps. The adhesive is the same bomber stuff they use for the footstraps as well. Should be here soon....now we just need some surf. I'll get some pics up as soon as I have it mounted though.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
Are you saying that NSI has footstraps now with sticky backed adhesive that's so strong that they don't require screws to attach them to the deck?

More discussion with NSI, there is reinforcement. Two layers of dense foam with the same reinforcement in between that they use in their footstraps. The adhesive is the same bomber stuff they use for the footstraps as well. Should be here soon....now we just need some surf. I'll get some pics up as soon as I have it mounted though.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2015, 07:06:52 AM »
I think thats what they have. I've never used them but they sent me a pic of a kiteboard suspended upside down with guy hanging from the straps. It looks like and oval shaped pad with a footstrap attached.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2015, 10:11:02 PM »
Interesting. Upside is no holes drilled into the deck thereby eliminating those pesky leaks that add weight to an EPS board. Downside is that moving or removing the strap means you'll have to throw it away and buy new straps. I'm going to ask a long time kitesurfer friend of mine what he thinks about those.

I think thats what they have. I've never used them but they sent me a pic of a kiteboard suspended upside down with guy hanging from the straps. It looks like and oval shaped pad with a footstrap attached.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »
The new tail handle prototype came yesterday. I'm going to mount it on my Foote tonight. It's NOT done yet. A good start but I have some issues with it. I'm going to mount it and take some pics, will post here and share with NSI.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #215 on: May 07, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
I installed the new tail handle with some modifications I made. Here's what I shared with NSI in an email.

"Also wanted to give you some early feedback on the handle. I’ve actually modified what was sent slightly. It’s a great start but there are a few critical changes I’d make. You could get your fingers caught in the original, or at least I could. The way it was my hand naturally wants to wrap over it to get a good grip so the fingers up past the 1st knuckle are between the board and the handle. If I was getting a hard tug like you can get with a big wave it could lock my fingers in there. Not that we are having any big waves at the moment.
I didn’t want to test it as it was so I shaved a wide fillet out of the leading edge and that helped a lot but I would take it even further for the production model. I also cut a thumb/palm slot across the back. It allows for a better hold on the handle and is especially needed with the other modifications I’m suggesting. In a final version I would make it slightly higher, maybe just have both layers on either side of the reinforcement be the same thickness, round the top to give a more natural grip and modify the finger hole (maybe just make the opening a pocket) so that even the largest hands can’t get caught in there. Added bonus there is the additional surface area for bonding, though from the looks of it that isn’t really needed. The idea is to have the design roll the hand position more to the back and leave the front of the fingers free so they can open easily to let go if necessary. "

and here's the pics. I also got some RSPro....what awesome stuff. i'll post about that in the other thread.

BTW....the adhesive on the Foote pads is nucking futs. I hope it doesn't need replacing for a LONG time. It took me 1.5 hours to get the tail cleared and clean.... :o

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:42:19 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #216 on: May 07, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
Realized you can't see the mods above.
Bob

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
It's a good start but they might need, as you alluded to, consider this more of a gripable bar than a "handle" per se.

We really just need a place to lay 4 fingers over and also I don't want to get my toes under there. Seal that bridge up with foam like you said.

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 07, 2015, 07:47:57 PM »
Did the dog approve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #219 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
Exactly...although I think what I have in mind would still work for a grab and go to get out of beachbreak. You're not going to carry it with this, just hold on or drag it from the tail. I'm going to cut some foam to fit in that gap and I think it will be close. I think this is going to be really good. It feels very solid in your hand and gives great control already. One of the things I think this will help with is getting your board turned around and getting going faster after a fall. The best thing you can do is get going quickly. The semi-rigid handle I think will give better leverage. Every second counts, no question my current tail handles get me back on my board quicker. This should shave it a hair more. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we are going to have much to test it in anytime soon.

She wagged her tail....handle..... ::)......actually she was kind of pissed at me there....I had just finished my sandwich without giving her a bite. Kind of funny that I caught the look on her face......she needs a thought bubble...."You asshole...there was bacon in there!".... :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:10:58 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »
It's looking good.

Mmm, bacon ....
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Foote ready to rumble
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
I can't wait for some swell. Tail handle installed and mods complete, feels perfect, no way my hand gets stuck now.  Also did the diamond traction on the nose today and tried something a little different. Pad on pad self made stomp, we'll see how that works.

Tough to see in the pic of the handle but I placed 3 layer of the diamond plate inside to turn the hole into a pocket.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:02:06 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2015, 08:04:40 PM »

Wow stoneaxe!  Your board looks great!  Love that diamond traction on the tail and nose.

Keep us updated on how it all works out.

Sup-up

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »
Aye, top work.  Keep us posted.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »
Headed out in the morning for some small waves. Not a major test but should get a feel for it. Pono is actually here as well so we'll get his thoughts too. maybe we can even convince creek....:)
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal