Author Topic: New Tail Handle  (Read 101913 times)

supthecreek

Re: New Tail Handle
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2015, 05:56:48 AM »
Stoney...it looks good.
I may have missed it.... is there some reinforcement built inside the handle, or is it relying on the strength of the rubber alone?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »
Nice stuff Bob, who did you talk with at NSI?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2015, 08:46:03 AM »
As Bill said, you can see who's used these and who hasn't.

If you haven't used one and or you haven't surfed the size of waves that these posters have at their age (lol) you should go back and read the multi year history of these handles.

Some things to note about this thread. Consider it a casual Tail Handle FAQ.

They work differently than they look.

They won't rip your shoulder off, even in DOH. The designers here are all 40's to 60's with almost all reporting shoulder issues.

None of these designs trap your hand. (This is based on hundreds if not thousands of waves taken on the head in pretty damn big to terrifying conditions.)

Anything is safer than letting your board flop around at the end of the leash. This applies to you and other surfers.

You can't trust a leash on a big day but handles let you slip a board through a wave with less resistance than you can imagine.

Swimming for a board sucks and is dangerous.

The guys who have prototyped these are probably using them in bigger waves than you (or I) surf day to day.

Yes, you should try one.

Final, for extra points.

Telling Sam or Beasho how boards behave in big waves is adorable. You should probably chill on that. ;)

Thanks to all who pushed this forward.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »

Final, for extra points.

Telling Sam or Beasho how boards behave in big waves is adorable. You should probably chill on that. ;)

Thanks to all who pushed this forward.

Damn you, cowboy! I shot hot coffee through my nose on that last one I started laughing so hard! Absolutely priceless!!

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2015, 03:33:02 PM »
Sign me up if anyone is producing one of the those tail pad handles.  I love the DIY handle I made for my SIMS and would love to put one of the production tail pad handles on my new board due at the end of June.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Sup-up

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »
Aye, I'll be ordering one when they become available.  Nicely put Cowboy.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2015, 08:20:46 PM »
Geeez, I hope I haven't said anything to imply that I know better than you guys how a big fat sup will behave in big waves with a tail handle. Those things still freak me out but I'm a lot more open now than I was before I read this stuff. Six months ago I asked PonoBill how big of a wave you could handle with it and he replied: "Double overhead at Kanaha." Well, that's a macking wave at that height so I thought he was totally F-ing with me. :o

Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2015, 08:28:54 PM »
Question: Do you guys think this NSI tail handle has enough surface area for the adhesive to stay attached in big waves? Or should the surface area be increased by incorporating the tail handle into a stomp pad?

Thanks everyone for your contributions to the refinement of this design cuz it's looking pretty good. As a potential buyer, I think I'd prefer that it be closed instead of a open, plus it would give a lot more grip for.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2015, 08:39:58 PM »
Magenta that wasn't directed at anyone lol. It's just that we've been watching this evolve over several years and every so often folks will enter the fray and start speculating. I myself was a doubter (one of my early bad days in Hawaii started me on this track too.)

I love that this has spread all over the world via the net and is producing products. It's helped keep me safe for quite a while now.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2015, 08:44:47 PM »
Nope, I wasn't kidding, but remember that lower Kanaha is a mushy wave, even at DOH plus. It almost never breaks top to bottom unless it gets bigger than TOH, and then it's just a closed-out mess and I'm quaking on the beach.

I'd try a tail handle in ANY size mushburger, like the occasional cleanup woman that comes roaring through. Worse comes to worst it just yanks out of your hand and winds up close by with minimal leashriding. In a pitching wave I'm less sanguine, though I've used them in some serious shit (or as Mr. Boyum says--waves of consequence, I love that).  If you're hanging on gong over the falls, then most bets are off, especially in rinse number two or the spin cycle.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:46:41 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »
I know, the internet is so awesome!

I love that this has spread all over the world via the net and is producing products. It's helped keep me safe for quite a while now.

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »
Here's the tail handle early prototypes from NSI. A more finished version is going to be on its way to me Monday. They'll have the final version available for sale soon.
I love the idea Bob.....Awesome.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2015, 04:49:48 PM »
NSI is using the same super adhesive they use on their stick ons. No reinforcement, I don't think it will be necessary. We'll see if its all good enough when it gets here.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2015, 05:21:57 PM »
Hey Bob, Have been lurking around this thread and eagerly await the retail NSI version.

Scrooge McBig gonna buy and try when available.. 8) 8)  8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
I love the fact that there are so many takes on this. I never would have gone in the direction that Beasho has, but I don't have his cajones either and have never been in a wave the size he does regularly. Like most things I think everyone will have to make their on decision on what they like best. I also like the thick tail handle I made a lot. I'm not even sure I'll like this stomp idea better. I have RA and its getting worse. The thick foam handle gives great grip. As usual there are variables to consider. Size of waves, type of wave, hand size comes into play so variations are inevitable. I think regardless of the design you use you have to be thinking and watching what the wave is doing. If you're going up and over the falls a tail handle isn't much help, in most other cases its a game changer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:56:35 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal