Author Topic: New Tail Handle  (Read 101921 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Tail Handle
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »
Because the handle is elastic it will NOT crush, pinch or pin your hand to the board.

On the left it is retracted.  Then pulled out over the end of the board and with a full twist.  The cord was the elastic that came with the 4 EZ-Plug & Webbing kit ("EZ-PLUG DECK RIGGING").  Should be good for 2 sets of handles.  See here:

http://www.amazon.com/SURFCO-HAWAII-EZ-PLUG-RIGGING-STAND-UP/dp/B00915U5OG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1429396497&sr=8-5&keywords=ez+plug

I originally used 1 strand but it broke.  This is a doubled up version.  The handle part is TORO funny pipe low pressure irrigation hose.  Make sure it is the THICK stuff or it will potentially buckle and pinch.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:39:39 PM by Beasho »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2015, 08:36:44 PM »
I don't know how you do it in the big stuff with that Beasho, that looks like a hand trapper to me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Did a search on my name and was suprize to see it still floating around issue this .....I'm honored  :D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2015, 06:43:54 PM »
Here's the tail handle early prototypes from NSI. A more finished version is going to be on its way to me Monday. They'll have the final version available for sale soon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:59:17 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2015, 07:31:52 PM »
Here's the tail handle early prototypes from NSI. A more finished version is going to be on its way to me Monday. They'll have the final version available for sale soon.

Looks like a potential winner to me...nice work!
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 23, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
I'd buy one.  Great design.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
Yeah I'm lazy. I don't want to make one. Just show me where I can order one.

Sup-up

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2015, 09:48:50 AM »
Looks good.  If I was being picky, (which is unfair as you've put allot of thought and effort into this and I'm some newbie), I'd prefer it to have a solid back to prevent me accidentally getting my thumb stuck in there if the board was twisting.  Plus that would give you a bigger contact patch / be stronger ? 

Been using a short length of padded webbing attached to the leash plug as a grab cord.  Clears the back of the board, no chance of getting pinned. BUT the board can twist which can lead to the leash loosely coiling round the holding arm a couple of times.  OK unless your grip fails then could be nasty. 

Tail block handle looks like the best solution.  Top work.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
Looks good.  If I was being picky, (which is unfair as you've put allot of thought and effort into this and I'm some newbie), I'd prefer it to have a solid back to prevent me accidentally getting my thumb stuck in there if the board was twisting.  Plus that would give you a bigger contact patch / be stronger ? 

Been using a short length of padded webbing attached to the leash plug as a grab cord.  Clears the back of the board, no chance of getting pinned. BUT the board can twist which can lead to the leash loosely coiling round the holding arm a couple of times.  OK unless your grip fails then could be nasty. 

Tail block handle looks like the best solution.  Top work.

You're not being picky...pretty much what I suggested to NSI when I saw these pics. We'll see what they produce. When I get it I plan to head out and see how well it works and what other folks think and give them some real world feedback.
Bob

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
I'm one of those who is wary about the use of handles but I'm glad you mentioned the pitching wave thing because I hadn't seen that discussed before.

I can always tell the folks who have tried one, and the folks who haven't. The first time you get pounded by a double overhead mushy wave with a tail handle is a revelation. I can't say the same for pitching waves, they mix up the order too much--you don't want to wind up in front of your board. sometimes I still use the handle--I just don't expect to hang on. If a wave is pitching out to fall on my head I'd rather be underwater.

Whitewater at any size I've encountered is just no big deal with a tail handle.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »
Well done Bob, that looks like a great solution…I'd buy 1 or 2 for sure
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
Excellent work Stoneaxe, the proverbial better mousetrap!
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2015, 04:47:13 PM »
That is a good design Stoneaxe.  I agree that there is still a risk of finger entrapment and the surface area of the peel and stick might not be big enough to withstand the impact from a bigger wave (which may be good thing if the board flips and traps the fingers).
I am woking on a prototype after discussions with Sam and will hopefully be posting photos soon.  It has a wider base and it is impossible to get fingers trapped.  Safety is a big concern when bringing something like this to market.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »
Again, not really my design, just pulling it all together. There are two people I'd directly attribute...Sam and Bill. Sam got the whole tail handle idea going and Bill was telling me about the stomp pad idea long ago. It will be great to see a bunch of different takes on this come to market. We already have a lot of the home made variety that work well. The 1st time Bill mentioned the stomp integrated handle I knew it was a good idea. I told NSI the same, that I would close the back so your hand couldn't wrap and get trapped and increase the back ramp to give more bearing area for adhesive and make it easier on the wrist. I think a deep notch across the back for a thumb grip would be good too. I like where its all going though. When used right these are a game changer when you're about to get pounded. You do need to be both ready to pull it in and use it or shove it well away if its all going bad....having control with a handle helps you do either.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:39:33 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »
Did a search on my name and was suprize to see it still floating around issue this .....I'm honored  :D

The screwed fingers on my right hand are always there to remind me that doing this right was your idea, and that doing it wrong was a bad idea.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal