Author Topic: New Tail Handle  (Read 101917 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Tail Handle
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »
Too complicated. All it takes is a little more foam and a little less angle. My newer version hold up fine in DOH poundings. The one you've drawn would be fine as long as the back side of the handle is thick enough and the foam is fairly dense. I used cheap swim float foam and it works fine, the black stuff most kick pad manufacturers use would be bomber. The stress is just not that high, if it were it would yank my wimpy shoulder off.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2015, 06:48:24 AM »
I don't want to discourage innovation but have to make a plug for the EZ-Plug, elastic, non-pinching tail handle designs.

The benefit of this design, over the tail-pad, is being able to grab the handle QUICKLY when things are moving fast like when boards start flying from offshore wind or you need to get up the beach quickly after being pounded on the sand (as Eastbound mentioned).

But don't take my word for it when I have VIDEO to demonstrate what I am saying. 

1st video shows Tail handle in several scenarios (note board flying) 

2nd video a beach break day that I took too far, got slammed and had to scramble up the beach.  In real-time it's hard to see how I scrambled up the beach carrying the camera, paddle and board.  This would not have been possible without the 'grab handle' design.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:54:38 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
You're right, not quite as handy for dragging or carrying. I have grab handles front and back on my V2 Bullet, but not on my V1 and I miss them. Much more secure carrying the board to the beach from the car with two people, especially in big wind. And nice for controlling the board prior to remount. But for a quick drag, the stomp handles work well--it depends on the design. The handle on my Foote 10'4" has some undercut. I can grab it and lift the tail easily. Not as secure as a rope, but helpful.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »
I did think about that. I'll carry/pull my boards from the tail handle all the time. Nice to have when you're scrambling out of a shore break for sure. Was also thinking that there would be times I'd like a nose handle. For sure on bigger boards in places with wind but even for surfing there have been times I've wished there was one there when a wave was bearing down on me and the nose was in easy reach but the tail wasn't. I'm not sure the undercut on what I have is deep enough but that's the kind of thing some prototypes will bring out. A BIG part of why I like the integral stomp pad handle though is because its impossible to get your hand trapped. I have the easy plug on my 9-8, even flat you can encircle it with your hand closed. If I'm going with a handle its more like the one I made. When I grab it just the tips of my fingers touch the pad. I think if even just your first knuckles are on the pad there is a chance of getting them caught.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »
Actually, for yanking your board out of shore break nothing beats a side handle. It's why lifeguards have dem. You put forward of center, grab dat fuckah an run. It's da kine, if you need that kine of ting. Fo me brah, i doan surf does shoah break. Dat's fo spongahs.

Oops, sorry. we're about to leave and get back to the land of vocabulary.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »
Good stuff on this thread.  I'm actually meeting with Sam Pa'e today to go over some ideas.  I think the tail block with finger grab is a great idea.  I'm working an a design that should work well as both tail kick for back foot when surfing, as well as as safe grab handle for ducking under whitewater, I will share a sketch later for feedback.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2015, 05:20:41 PM »
Cool...the more heads in it the better. Tell Sam I said hi.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2015, 01:14:27 PM »
2nd video a beach break day that I took too far, got slammed and had to scramble up the beach.  In real-time it's hard to see how I scrambled up the beach carrying the camera, paddle and board.  This would not have been possible without the 'grab handle' design.

I'd worry that the handle in that second video would break my fingers or wrist if I tried to use it if I was caught inside on a big-ish set. Some of the reasons why I like the fixed tail pad or the thick foam designs are the board will break away from your grip before causing damage, the board won't smash your fingers or wrist, and no twisting of the handle.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2015, 05:14:39 PM »
I'd worry that the handle in that second video would break my fingers or wrist if I tried to use it if I was caught inside on a big-ish set. Some of the reasons why I like the fixed tail pad or the thick foam designs are the board will break away from your grip before causing damage, the board won't smash your fingers or wrist, and no twisting of the handle.

I was out this morning 11 ft @ 17 seconds.  Full tilt Pacific swell wearing double flotation.  Got mowed down by some bigger sets of whitewater while holding the tail handle.  I was prepared to just let go if the pull got too much.  To my surprise the combination of flotation and tail handle worked even better. 

I was hit from behind by some very powerful energy BUT I was pushed forward nearly as fast as the board making it all travel at the same speed.  This was some big whitewater and the tension was far less than I anticipated. 

The other advantage of the handle is grabbing the board when its upside down.  When things get rough you will not always have time to flip the board back over.    Because the handle is elastic it will crush, pinch or pin your hand to the board.  It will also twist a full 180, or let the board do the same so virtually no rotational torque.

Kid tested . . . . mother approved  8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:20:23 PM by Beasho »

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2015, 11:09:59 PM »
Cool...the more heads in it the better. Tell Sam I said hi.

Hey Bob...How are you doing?....Amazing to see this blog moving forward with positive ideas as well as so possible danger we all can be aware of.....Awesome

Aloha....Sam

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »
The other advantage of the handle is grabbing the board when its upside down.  When things get rough you will not always have time to flip the board back over.    Because the handle is elastic it will crush, pinch or pin your hand to the board.  It will also twist a full 180, or let the board do the same so virtually no rotational torque.

Beasho, I'm intrigued.  I'd love to be able to have a handle like that for some of the reasons you've talked about, but really do fear for my wrist, fingers and hand with that design.  You say "Because the handle is elastic it will crush, pinch or pin your hand to the board.  It will also twist a full 180, or let the board do the same so virtually no rotational torque."  That is my worry. It might only be one wave in a hundred where it twists wrong or smashes your hand on the board, but it only takes that one wave to do some serious damage.  Or was that a type-o?  You sound like you (and wife & kids) have no concerns. 

I'm getting two extra leash plugs installed on my new board and plan to add a handle like I have on my SIMS (see pic below), but would be interested in experimenting if I think there are some other functional & safe designs.

Do you mind taking a close-up pic of your setup?

50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »
Beasho those buoy heights will give 15+ peak face and 8-10' whitewater walls and you hold onto the board!😳

I get the tail handle advantages but the dangers posed are substantial .....
caution in big outside waves or big shore break as the forces in play are outside of our stress limits.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
The other advantage of the handle is grabbing the board when its upside down.  When things get rough you will not always have time to flip the board back over.    Because the handle is elastic it will NOT crush, pinch or pin your hand to the board.  It will also twist a full 180, or let the board do the same so virtually no rotational torque.

Whoops big Typo.  I apologize. 

To Restate: Because the handle is elastic it will NOT crush, pinch or pin your hand to the board.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2015, 12:47:11 PM »
Since you were dragged back with the board, is the point to using the handle in big waves so you can get back on your board sooner than you could if you had to pull the board to you using the leash?

I was hit from behind by some very powerful energy BUT I was pushed forward nearly as fast as the board making it all travel at the same speed. 

Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »
I can always tell the folks who have tried one, and the folks who haven't. The first time you get pounded by a double overhead mushy wave with a tail handle is a revelation. I can't say the same for pitching waves, they mix up the order too much--you don't want to wind up in front of your board. sometimes I still use the handle--I just don't expect to hang on. If a wave is pitching out to fall on my head I'd rather be underwater.

Whitewater at any size I've encountered is just no big deal with a tail handle.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:06:08 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal