Author Topic: New Tail Handle  (Read 101926 times)

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: New Tail Handle
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »
I ballpark the force on a paddle face in a wave at about 600 foot-pounds of force.

Bill, this is why you rule!

I like the cut-away tail kick idea. Simple. Thanks for posting the pics.

With my bad shoulders, I feel like using the paddle bracing method would be a disaster waiting to happen.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »
much as i like my handles, and think the stomphandle looks great, i will try the paddle across the tail kick method--worry too re the paddle. i tend to hold paddle near the paddle handle so it can swing freely, away from me. putting the paddle perpendicular to the force of the wave, secured (somewhat) to the board might be problematic.

i'll give it a try, if lake Atlantic ever gets stirred up again
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2014, 04:59:32 PM »
I ballpark the force on a paddle face in a wave at about 600 foot-pounds of force.
What about the force on your back? Must be huge then.
So it pushes you and the paddle at the same time roughly..

Give it a try...seems to work..
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
No question that the force on your body is immense, that's why you can't do anything when a wave falls on you. You're a passenger in that bus.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »
That explains why I feel like one hit me after a crakin barrel session.
Ralph
Sup-position

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2014, 10:00:15 PM »

Two questions for Mr. Science: Is the glue for the tail handle pad strong enough? What about the material itself?

Thank you in advance.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »
Yup, though a piece is lifting on the 9'6". But probably because I fudged on dry time before fitting the pieces together. If you want to be sure, use gorilla glue, but you have to be certain you're happy with whatever you're sticking down being permanent, because it will be.

I've used my stomp handle when getting well and truly drilled by a wave that was more than DOH--a serious lineup cleaner. and then a half dozen of it's slightly smaller cousins right behind it. No problem.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2014, 04:50:27 AM »
PB--i assume you mean the gorilla variant of super glue?? the original gorilla glue is good stuff, but tough to manage--foams and expands as it dries.

here's a question my wife asked: does anyone think there is concussion potential (aside from the obvious head-hit on board or reef) from what happens to us regularly in the work zone?

i think not, given there are no sharp impacts going on. but a case could be made that when getting whipped around, our brains are being slammed around inside the skull. and this, they have discovered is a big deal. much as a helmet protects well against external impact injury, on a big hit our brains get slammed around the inside of our skulls. akin to what used to happen to our bodies inside cars during accidents, before the advent of seatbelts and air bags.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »
No, I mean the original, tough to manage Gorilla glue. I use the 3M spray on trim cement (high strength) and find it adequate, but your mileage may vary.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
I've seen a few folks worrying about the shock to the shoulder with a tail handle.....if you feel a huge pull your not doing it right.

Force and how the water effects flat surfaces is all about how I use a handle. I turn my body somewhat sideways to the wave as I grab on to the handle with one hand, I put my other wrist/forearm over the tail in front of the handle and put the paddle parallel to the rail with the blade toward the nose. Just before the wave hits I tombstone the board and shove it down. As I do that it twists my body to full side on to the wave....I'm a lot narrower side on obviously so less force on the body and I really don't even notice any force on the paddle blade with everything else that's going on. With the board tombstoned the wave drives it down and back and pulls me along with it....done right you almost stop dead in the water, even bigger waves don't feel like much. My upper limit is around DOH but I've only been there with a handle a couple times. Much better with than without that's for sure. Beyond that I think all means of restraint are temporary.

I love gorilla glue....you just have to use it very sparingly, a little goes a long way.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
I kind of pooh-pooed the paddle across the stomp pad idea, but this morning I ripped the center of my stomp handle out when the cleanup woman came through for a dusting at Kanaha. I was left with just the two sides, so I tried the paddle across the tail thing--and it worked GREAT!

One more slap to the head--don't dismiss stuff until you try it. I went through some substantial poundings with the braced paddle, and it might be better than an actual handle. It's easier on my wrists for sure.

When I replace the torn handle I'm going to use gorilla glue and make an indent on ;the front ramp to give good purchase to the paddle.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:32:40 PM by PonoBill »

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »
I kind of pooh-pooed the paddle across the stomp pad idea, but this morning I ripped the center of my stomp handle out when the cleanup woman came through for a dusting at Kanaha. I was left with just the two sides, so I tried the paddle across the tail thing--and it worked GREAT!

One more slap to the head--don't dismiss stuff until you try it. I went through some substantial poundings with the braced paddle, and it might be better than an actual handle. It's easier on my wrists for sure.

When I replace the torn handle I'm going to use gorilla glue and make an indent on ;the front ramp to give good purchase to the paddle.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. 
Good On You Bill..
Ralph
Sup-position

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »

I'm actually looking forward to being caught inside now to give this a try.   ???

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »
Love the progression of the design.

It's like inventing the car then figuring you need a bumper.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2015, 10:26:22 AM »
I followed stoneaxe's lead and put together a pool noodle handle:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25430.msg258911.html#msg258911

- Surfco plugs: $13
- pool noodle: $2
- 1 foot of PVC pipe: $2 (have enough left over for another couple of handles)
- string: free (stole it from my daughter's craft box)
- duct tape

The only difference is I just shoved the pipe through the noodle so the noodle was kept in one piece.

I had a chance to use it last weekend in head high surf.  I LOVED it!  It was my second weekend on my 7'8" SIMS and my first time surfing it in a crowd.  My first time out, I didn't feel like I had enough control of my board.  I mean, it was way better than trying to control my old 10' tank, but still nothing like the control I used to feel on my surfboards.  With this handle, I came out confident that I can control my SIMS in a crowd.

The handle was small enough for me to get my hands around it for a grip, but its was big (and soft) enough that if a wave came down on me too hard, my hand would slip off and avoid any injury to my hand or injury-proned shoulders.  I also found I ended up using it in a number of other ways.  If my board was sitting a few feet away from me in the water, I would hook it with the handle of my paddle to bring it back.  Also, I noticed a couple of times, that if I fell off the back of wave on a missed attempt, I would hook the handle with the heel of my foot to keep my board from shooting over the falls.  Another bonus, when I'd crawl to get back on my board on my stomach, I found myself using the handle with my foot to get leverage.

So ya, I'm very happy with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal