Author Topic: Adding 1" or 2" in width - What effect on Performance?  (Read 6939 times)

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Adding 1" or 2" in width - What effect on Performance?
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »
So I finally demoed the T. Patterson 9'2" x 29" 128L last weekend. I have the 10'2" model which I really like but wanted to try something smaller and more performance oriented.

I'm 6'4" and 205lbs (probably 215 with wetsuit and hydration pack).

Conditions were pretty crappy. Northwest / Southwest combo swell, maybe waist to chest high. Tide was coming up fast so a lot of backwash and there was a south wind.

I wasn't sure what to expect since my primary board is a 9'6" x 31.5" Prowave and the 10'2" T. Patterson.

Well, 29" is a completely different ball game. Sitting on that board was even a challenge in these conditions. I was pretty pleased with myself because I was able to paddle long stretches without falling off. But on this board, there was no just standing around...I had to constantly keep moving. I blew quite a few take offs  and fell more than I care to admit, but once on the wave...this board felt magical. It was FAST and very maneuverable. I thought my Prowave was very reactive, but this board blew it out of the water...especially speed wise.

I can get the 2014 model for a very good price but I don't know if I want to work this hard. Now granted, the conditions were very challenging and it was my first time with the board, but I am thinking about calling up Timmy and seeing if he could add another 1" or 2" to the width.

My only concern with this approach would be I would hate to lose that magical feeling I felt while on the wave.

So, if you were me, would you just stick with 29" and just continue to practice or would you go the custom route and add the additional width for comfort and the ability to ride in more varied conditions?

If I did decide to add an extra 1" or 2" to the width, would it really affect the speed and maneuverability of the board?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Adding 1" or 2" in width - What effect on Performance?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
I'm not an expert surfer but I have years of expertise in building a good quiver.

If you're keeping the 10'2, then this sounds like a great quiver compliment.

eeck62

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »
I would guess that after you spend some time on the 29" board it will feel stable to you.  I would say go for it.
Me:  6'1" x 180
Board(S): Axis foils: HPS 980, BSC 740, 810, ART 899, 999
Jimmy Lewis Wing Board 4’10” x 23 x 71L
Rawson 7’8” x 26”
Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun 8'2" x 28.3/4 x 99L
Naish Hokua 8'5" x 28 x 115L

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:10:58 AM »
You will adapt to the 29" and your surfing will improve as a result, go for it.  With the boards I have surfed, I have found 2" can make a world of difference.  I surf a 28" wide Hobie RAW and  now my back up boards at 30" wide feel so slow and sluggish to me
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 04:58:53 AM »

If I did decide to add an extra 1" or 2" to the width, would it really affect the speed and maneuverability of the board?

Complicated answer. You need to get planing to make the board fast and loose. It takes a certain amount of surface area to get planing at your weight. Once planing, less surface area equals more speed.

At your weight, going up in width for more comfort can be compensated for by going shorter. That will put the speed you loose going wider, back into the shape. Demo something 8'6 x 30 or 31 and see if you like it.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »
See if you can demo the 29" board (or a reasonable facsimile) in more favorable conditions and then make the call.

If you're already getting bored of the 9'6" Prowave it certainly does sound like your body is ready to move on to a faster, thinner board. If you liked the 29" on the wave in poor conditions I'll bet you'll love it when things are clean.

Re: adding inches to the 29", you'll just have another Pro Wave in the end.

Board choice really is all about the conditions you see most often( and if you're having fun when you're in them) ....unless you have the bank to fund a quiver of boards to handle everything at anytime.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
The added width will have an effect on performance but not necessarily in a negative way. I've always been a proponent of going as wide as possible on surfboards without causing issues. There's a fine line in both directions and the overall shape will determine if the with will adversely affect performance or actually improve it. I can use a little extra v in the tail and keep the tail wide enough to plane well when the surf is less than stellar. I also like the stability when it gets wonky. It's really about balancing all the factors from paddling speed, stability and riding waves. Saying you ride a board that's X" narrow means nothing if you're constantly struggling. I see waaaay to many people on boards too narrow for them. 
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:21:51 AM »
29" wide? At your weight it'll prob be a step up performance wise. Sounds like a keeper to me. I have a 29er but I'm lighter than you(180 lbs). It's my "Gunnier" board, 9'3" Isle Performance at 124 ltrs. Thing is fast but at 9'3" it's gotten to be a bit lengthy to really turn quickly.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:26:14 AM »
The added width will have an effect on performance but not necessarily in a negative way. I've always been a proponent of going as wide as possible on surfboards without causing issues. There's a fine line in both directions and the overall shape will determine if the with will adversely affect performance or actually improve it. I can use a little extra v in the tail and keep the tail wide enough to plane well when the surf is less than stellar. I also like the stability when it gets wonky. It's really about balancing all the factors from paddling speed, stability and riding waves. Saying you ride a board that's X" narrow means nothing if you're constantly struggling. I see waaaay to many people on boards too narrow for them.

Very good advice.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 09:36:01 AM »
Great waves Cook!  you and your buddy had some fun conditions all to yourselves.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
My 75 yo experienced surfer neighbor has been on the Pearson Arrow Laird 10'6"@29.75width.  I have been trying his Pearson Laird out, and can generally stand on it and catch waves now, but it is hard to turn and when turning on any kind of chop, it is a challenge.

He has been looking for wider.  He is 40 to 45 lbs lighter than me, and he LOVES my Vernor and wants to get one like it @ 32.75 inches wide and 9 feet. At his weight, he thinks the performance of the Vernor is great, likes to snap turns in the pocket to catch waves, and I have seen him riding on what looks like 2 inch mush. He says the turning and comfort are so much better for him.

I can't ride that kind of mush on it at my weight, but have been satisfied with the Vernor's wave catching ability in general after practicing on it.

Board vs. rider seems to be such an individual variable that the only way to figure it out is to try. I thought my neighbor wouldn't like my Vernor at all after his narrower Pearson Laird, and he did.

I think the Pearson Laird is great catching and riding waves, but it is at least a eight session board for me to get up to speed on balance on it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:42:17 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »

Lunchbox...  where do you sup surf the most?  If it's southern calif or a point break or beach break with good shape the Simsup design could be your go to board.  They seem to ride really well in Calif waves.  I weigh 225 without a wetsuit and first got an L41 S4 8'6" 31.5" across.  It was too small and too much work for me at my weight.  It was the fastest sup I've ever surfed though.  I now have an 8'10" 33 across S4 from L41.  The board is stable and it rips in small to medium surf.  It's a little slower and less performance than the 31.5 across Simsup…but not much.

It would be good if you can demo some Simsup wider shorter designs.  No reason to go without stability but still have the performance you want. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »
An inch wider won't make much difference in performance, but in any windy or choppy days will make the board much more usable. I don't like super wide boards, even though they work just fine most of the time, but adding an inch or even two often makes a marginal board into a goto board.

Remember also  that in a serious wave, half the board is out of the water anyway, and the half inch is nothing. On the other hand in the transitions, when the board is flat and has water rail to rail, the inch will add both stability and leverage.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
Thanks for all the awesome feedback guys...I really appreciate it.

It's funny...even though I was really struggling during that session, sometimes all I can remember is just the good parts (guess it's similar to some ex girlfriends)! And the difference in price between the 2014 29" model is going to be hundreds of dollars cheaper than the custom. I'd be lying if I said that doesn't come into play as well.

I also really think that I could 'grow' into that board...time on the water as they say. As a matter of fact in those conditions I probably would have had some problems on the Prowave as well.

@DW - I do have a SUPSports WD 8'6"x31" that I haven't ridden in forever. I've been trying to sell it for some time but can't seem to get any takers. Maybe it's a sign? Might just have to take out the board and see how I do. Last time was about a year ago and I remember blowing quite a few really good waves. That always stings! I think I might actually do better now! 

It's really about balancing all the factors from paddling speed, stability and riding waves. Saying you ride a board that's X" narrow means nothing if you're constantly struggling.

That is sooo true!

@lopezwill - I surf in the Malibu area at a beach/point break. I actually have an S3 8'8" x 32" which I really like. I just started riding it again after letting it sit for about 8 months. I forgot how much fun that board is. But when it gets to be chest high to head high, I usually switch to my Prowave. I'm sure I can make the board work in those conditions, I just need some more time on it.

I think it would be smart to give this some more thought and not impulse buy like I am so used to doing.

Oh...forgot to mention...the board I demoed had a pierce in the nose which exposed the foam and the bottom felt extremely heavy so much so that when I grabbed the handle, the bottom of the board went straight for the ground. It felt really water logged. The thickness was also exactly 4" and not 4.4" as stated on the web site. So of course, part of me reasons that maybe the board would have been easier to stand on if it was a little thicker and it was equally balanced.

Decisions...decisions...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:15:32 PM by lunchbox »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
Two otherwise identical boards, one 2" wider than the other, will respond differently.  Its easy to say that the narrower board will generally be quicker rail to rail.   But in practice it does not stop there.  Wider variants sometimes are saddled with boxier rails which add stability but takes away some performance.  The Corban Icon and EZ, both 10 footers are a pretty good example of this.  At 205, I can barely get the EZ to turn.  Meanwhile, the owner, a 235 pounder, sinks the rail of the EZ and really rips it up.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal