Author Topic: Battle of the Paddle 2014 at Salt Creek... Are you going? What Class? What Race?  (Read 14874 times)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Well, you got me there, a room WITH a shower.  Or a keel hauling.

I promise not to wear a thong.

I would also have to clear things with the spousal unit which might be formidable.

Cheat,
Its a great event, and if you are even thinking of going just go.  I have to coach a water polo tournament so can't make it this year.  But maybe we could get a group of SC boys, get a house and do it next year.
I am sure we could put together a good group.

I am loving the whole wavestorm vibe.  It really shows how we all just like to have fun.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
I'll be in the surfboard class on Saturday.  I should be at the very back of the pack on my 8'0" hoping to get barreled in the shore break at the finish and spit across the finish line.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
"Really? you're going to miss an event people fly in from every corner of the world to participate in because you don't like traffic?"
"
That's kind of the point.  I wouldn't want to breach the great desert smog city and it's fumed, vehicled, sardined masses just to be screwed by logistics because I am not familiar with the place.

I went to UCLA, but haven't been back since 1980. What I recall, so many people and so much distance and surface area, you have to have every detail planned to a T, know your destinations, make sure everything is planned and ready at the destination etc. or the slightest delay, flaw in the plan means no more plan and no more destination. It is no doubt worse now. I am sure cell phones and GPS might help, but not sure. Didn't have those things in the day.

A bearer and a pith helmet might come in handy.

It is too ad hoc for me, I will probably just chill. My wife was gadding about with her female friends in Santa Caruz this weekend and told me to get lost in Pleasanton, but I probably have pet sitting duties, anyway.

"Cheat,
Its a great event, and if you are even thinking of going just go.  I have to coach a water polo tournament so can't make it this year.  But maybe we could get a group of SC boys, get a house and do it next year.
I am sure we could put together a good group."

There's a plan, Kurt, I would love that.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:41:31 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUP CPA

• Waikiki Status
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
    • View Profile
Going but still mulling over the open race, stock class.  3-4 foot surf according to Surfline.  Is that manageable?  Paddling for five years but I still struggle heading out through pretty much anything over 3 feet that's breaking.  I raced the open race in the surfboard class a couple times and have been training for a year on a 12'6" in open ocean but Creek still has me a little leery.

I'm going to go paddle Creek tomorrow (Thursday) morning on my race board.  I know it's forecast to be a bit bigger on Saturday but if I'm comfortable after tomorrow I'll sign up for the open race, 12'6" class, 50-59.  I'm seeing a bit of SUP activity at Creek on the Surfline cam today.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm going to do the same thing tomorrow morning. I was at Infinity yesterday to buy a couple glue on handles for my race board. The Falcon team was there looking for the same thing. Everyone wants handles on their race boards????? Need something to grab on to ??????
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm going to do the same thing tomorrow morning. I was at Infinity yesterday to buy a couple glue on handles for my race board. The Falcon team was there looking for the same thing. Everyone wants handles on their race boards????? Need something to grab on to ??????

I wouldn't recommend the glue part.  I had the same thing on my 14' Hobie.  I'm in the process of reattaching the handle with epoxy for BOP.  Of course that board does weigh about 35lbs.   :-\  I'm sure the Falcon guys have much lighter boards, so maybe glue will work for them. 
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Really? you're going to miss an event people fly in from every corner of the world to participate in because you don't like traffic?"
"
That's kind of the point.  I wouldn't want to breach the great desert smog city and it's fumed, vehicled, sardined masses just to be screwed by logistics because I am not familiar with the place.

I went to UCLA, but haven't been back since 1980. What I recall, so many people and so much distance and surface area, you have to have every detail planned to a T, know your destinations, make sure everything is planned and ready at the destination etc. or the slightest delay, flaw in the plan means no more plan and no more destination. It is no doubt worse now. I am sure cell phones and GPS might help, but not sure. Didn't have those things in the day.

A bearer and a pith helmet might come in handy.

It is too ad hoc for me, I will probably just chill. My wife was gadding about with her female friends in Santa Caruz this weekend and told me to get lost in Pleasanton, but I probably have pet sitting duties, anyway.

"Cheat,
I am sure we could put together a good group."

There's a plan, Kurt, I would love that.

SUPCheat, Orange County is a little different than the mess in LA.  Less pollution, less traffic, and easier to get around....well a little easier at least.  I'd have to run it past the lady, but if you want to participate, we could probably work something out.  PM me if you are interested.
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email

I wouldn't recommend the glue part. 
I meant epoxy..... 5 min. clear.  I'm thinking forward of center maybe 2'?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Heck of a place to surf a 14 foot race board.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm in and I can't wait.  Switched it up and decided to not risk my 1 month old carbon 12'6 that I just got so I'm doing the Open race on Saturday in the surfboard class.  Sunday will be the open distance race, 12'6 division.  Hope to meet a bunch of you this weekend.  Going to try to make it to Dogpatch friday afternoon.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Heck of a place to surf a 14 foot race board.
Really?
Wow!

SUP CPA

• Waikiki Status
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
    • View Profile
Going but still mulling over the open race, stock class.  3-4 foot surf according to Surfline.  Is that manageable?  Paddling for five years but I still struggle heading out through pretty much anything over 3 feet that's breaking.  I raced the open race in the surfboard class a couple times and have been training for a year on a 12'6" in open ocean but Creek still has me a little leery.

I'm going to go paddle Creek tomorrow (Thursday) morning on my race board.  I know it's forecast to be a bit bigger on Saturday but if I'm comfortable after tomorrow I'll sign up for the open race, 12'6" class, 50-59.  I'm seeing a bit of SUP activity at Creek on the Surfline cam today.

I went real early, just after sunup, and walked down to the beach to check it out before I schlepped my board all the way down and back.  No other SUPs out but I got a good idea of what to expect.  Aside from the lefts at the Point it was just a shallow shore-pounder that would be easy enough to get through if timed correctly.  Once past that it's smooth sailing.  It looks like the elite race will start and end near the Point but I imagine the race director would be smart to start the open race closer to Middles.  I ended up not hauling my board all the way down since past the shore break it would be typical ocean paddling like I can do at Doho without having to carry the board back up a big hill.  Also of note:

- A lot of the tents, EZ- Ups, and the stage are already in place.

- The beach has really eroded since the big Wednesday swell last month.

- Spectators won't be able to see much from the grass.  They will need to go out to the bluff or down to the beach to see the action.  There's a nice sidewalk along the bluff that would be perfect for viewing but the organizers say it must be kept clear for safety personnel. 

- I got an email last night from the organizers saying PFDs and leashes are now required for all participants and helmets are recommended.

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
- I got an email last night from the organizers saying PFDs and leashes are now required for all participants and helmets are recommended.

Somebody told me that last night.  I'm registered for the open race and I have not received anything.  I checked the BOP website today and didn't see any updates.

I wonder if they will really turn people away if they neglect to bring a pfd and a leash when it's pretty late to get the word out.

SUP CPA

• Waikiki Status
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
    • View Profile

Somebody told me that last night.  I'm registered for the open race and I have not received anything.  I checked the BOP website today and didn't see any updates.

I wonder if they will really turn people away if they neglect to bring a pfd and a leash when it's pretty late to get the word out.

Last night's email from Barrett Tester:

UPDATES GALORE - PLEASE READ
Battle of the Paddle
Salt Creek Beach October 4th & 5th:
WAVES COMING Expect head high waves at Salt Creek Beach 4'-5' on Saturday and possibly larger on Sunday.
OCEAN SAFETY FIRST Due to the large weekend surf forecast all entrants to Battle of the Paddle races must have a wearable USCG approved personal floatation device (PFD) and board leash to participate.
The above items are mandatory of all entrants in all Battle of the Paddle events (Elite Race, Open Race, Distance Race, Kids Race and Relays).
No one will be allowed to race without safety gear.
Marine Safety helmets are strongly recommended. Marine safety helmets available for sale at the Vestpac tent (BOP Expo) or contact John Clark: supsurfclub@gmail.com
USCG approved Life Preservers and PFD's will be available for FREE at the California State Parks booth located near board storage.
FRIDAY BOARD DROP OFF:  We highly encourage racers to drop off their race boards at the event site on Friday Oct. 3.
24HOUR BOARD STORAGE is available Friday and Saturday days & nights at the event site. Please save yourself the hassle and use this service.
BOARD DROP OFF LOCATION in the Salt Creek Beach parking lot off Ritz-Carlton Drive.
FREE PARKING at Salt Creek Beach Parking lot, The Strand parking lot and Dana Hills High School parking lot.
BUS SHUTTLES constantly operating between lots
Beautiful and magnificent setting for championship SUP & paddleboard racing.
Saturday Prone Paddleboard Race Prize money:
 Men: 1st $1000, 2nd $750, 3rd $500
Women: 1st $750, 2nd $500, 3rd $250
Distance Race - Prone Paddleboard Categories:
 UL, 14' & 12'0 (corrected from previous email)
Kids SUP Race (races dependent on conditions)
 Kid's Race Boards Both 11' & under & 12'6" under board categories.
Age groups: Boys & girls (8 & under), (9 - 11) and (12 - 14).
SUP Relays - choose one - Elite, Open or Kids
 must have one female per team
Amazing SUP Expo with over 100 exhibitors
Kona Brewing Beer Garden
KIND morning yoga sessions and breakfast with Gerry Lopez:
Saturday @ 830am and Sunday 7:30am
Delicious food trucks & drink vendors
Live music and dance entertainment
Event proceeds go to local charitable organizations via Rainbow Sandals Foundation
See you at Salt Creek!
Aloha,   
Sparky, Gerry, Pat & Barrett

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
That is pretty intimidating.  I'm pretty sure I can work through a 4' wave or two, but I don't want to find out about 5' or 6' -- that sounds awfully  dangerous just by myself, let alone in a crowd of people. 

This will be a game time decision as to whether I participate or not for sure.
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal