Author Topic: Got flipped off today  (Read 11003 times)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Got flipped off today
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:35 AM »
Funny:  Was out surfing this morning with Ralph at Sup-Position trying one of his cool boards.  Struggled a bit but managed to ride a few waves.  It was pretty crowded at one area and I paddled away from the crowd, as I always do.  There was me and one long boarder off a couple hundred yards south of the pack, nobody else around.  I was nowhere near the guy, never was, never caused him a problem in any way.  The guy was staring at me so I looked over sensing that he was trying to get my attention.  As soon as I looked at him he gave me the finger and shook it at me, violently.  LOL! And I was supposed to be upset by this?   Did he expect me to paddle over and pick a fight?  Did he somehow think I actually cared?  I think that sort of attitude is comical.

If the guy had a grey pony tail, he showed up a few years back.  Actually an alright guy. He is a biker long boarder.
That is how some guys greet each other with the customary finger. He was saying hello. He has always had good surfing manners and tries to be cool. He does have a couple friends that we have reigned in from time to time..

As previously stated, for the most part the Line Up Takes Care of It's Self.. 
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 05:40:14 AM »
Not him, actually a guy about 30 or so.  I don't think this was a friendly greeting.  He was not catching any waves, not much to catch that day, and he did not look happy.  I caught a couple when I was down there, so maybe it had something to do with that.  But I never messed him up at all, so it was not a lineup thing.  No big deal, in fact, it was rather comical and pathetic in a way.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:43:49 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:43 AM »
The customary finger before the paddle out is expected especially because they are acknowledging that you are going to Kill it..
Kinda admitting defeat in advance.
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 06:24:15 PM »
Cuz mooning is so convenient when you're on a sup!

maybe you should have mooned him!!!

Dang!  Why didn't I think of that sooner?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 06:50:40 PM »
The customary finger before the paddle out is expected especially because they are acknowledging that you are going to Kill it..
Kinda admitting defeat in advance.

Doesn't it mean "You're number one", just with a different finger?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 08:35:54 PM »
I need to practice the moon.  When the boogers invade my shitty break and then get their back up, I want to convey my feelings.  Especially when they give me the stink eye.  HEY! Go down to the pier/jetty/river mouth and LEAVE ME ALONE!  PROBLEM SOLVED!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 12:26:49 AM »
Today I paddled out from baby beach and did the mile or so to doheny. When I got there I caught a wave in to the beach through the middle of a bunch of longboarders. All pretty capable. I dropped off my extra paddle, camelback and sunglasses and went back out to poach a few. I said hi, beautiful day to everyone on the way out, and they were all nice. I paddled way out and mostly confined myself to chasing smaller waves, practicing for the race on Saturday where catching a little bump can be a big deal.  I also took a couple of really big set waves that weren't going to work for anyone on the inside and rode them all the way to the south of the hammer. No grief from the surfers, they were fine with it.

The a lifeguard truck pulls up and some woman comes on the horn and says "stand up paddle guy--move south of the hammer. The area north of the hammer is for surfers only. "

The longboarder I was standing close to said "wow, that's pretty harsh".  I laughed and ignored her.  A little later I paddled in to get my stuff and the lifeguard walked over and said "didn't you hear me tell you to move south of the hammer?"

I said "You said it was for surfers only, I assumed you were talking to someone else, since I was surfing."     

She said "you know I was talking to you."
so I said "if you want respect, you have to give respect. You chose to insult me, I choose not to listen to you. "  and I got my stuff and left. From her attitude I expect I might have been in more trouble if I had been walking to the parking lot, but I went straight out and paddled back to baby beach throght the marina.

the problem isn't the surfers, its the people who take pleasure in enforcing a regulation that's unfair. You can ignore some wanker flipping you off, and just laugh at them, but ignoring someone with regulatory force behind them is a bit riskier.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:36:15 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 03:30:25 AM »
Was at Dogpatch yesterday and was riding way over in the surf zone and didn't get hassled by proners or guards. Hopefully things are starting to lighten up a bit.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
Today I paddled out from baby beach and did the mile or so to doheny. When I got there I caught a wave in to the beach through the middle of a bunch of longboarders. All pretty capable. I dropped off my extra paddle, camelback and sunglasses and went back out to poach a few. I said hi, beautiful day to everyone on the way out, and they were all nice. I paddled way out and mostly confined myself to chasing smaller waves, practicing for the race on Saturday where catching a little bump can be a big deal.  I also took a couple of really big set waves that weren't going to work for anyone on the inside and rode them all the way to the south of the hammer. No grief from the surfers, they were fine with it.

The a lifeguard truck pulls up and some woman comes on the horn and says "stand up paddle guy--move south of the hammer. The area north of the hammer is for surfers only. "

The longboarder I was standing close to said "wow, that's pretty harsh".  I laughed and ignored her.  A little later I paddled in to get my stuff and the lifeguard walked over and said "didn't you hear me tell you to move south of the hammer?"

I said "You said it was for surfers only, I assumed you were talking to someone else, since I was surfing."     

She said "you know I was talking to you."
so I said "if you want respect, you have to give respect. You chose to insult me, I choose not to listen to you. "  and I got my stuff and left. From her attitude I expect I might have been in more trouble if I had been walking to the parking lot, but I went straight out and paddled back to baby beach throght the marina.

the problem isn't the surfers, its the people who take pleasure in enforcing a regulation that's unfair. You can ignore some wanker flipping you off, and just laugh at them, but ignoring someone with regulatory force behind them is a bit riskier.

PB, you are my new hero.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
Awesome day in Newport today.  Was out a dawn with only a couple of proners.  I gave respect and got respect in return.  I wish it could always be this way; good waves, glassy conditions, good relations with others in the water.  Not getting my hopes up on any of those. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »

PB, you are my new hero.

Shouldnt be. I think a hero would have stuck around for what might have been an escalating confrontation--though probably she thought i wasnt worth her further attention since i obviously wasnt going to surf anymore. i dont know how they handle scofflaws like me  i was very glad to paddle away
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »
I feel like a complete jerk. Sano was full with a huge line waiting for people to leave, so I went to Doho and ran right into the ranger from yesterday who is a really nice lady who said she didn't intend to insult anyone, she just thinks of us as standup surfers and surfers. Which is exactly the distinction I've made here numerous times. She  said she gets exasperated enforcing the regulation and having to tell people  to move over and over. 

Nice lady, I feel like a real weenie.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »
I feel like a complete jerk. Sano was full with a huge line waiting for people to leave, so I went to Doho and ran right into the ranger from yesterday who is a really nice lady who said she didn't intend to insult anyone, she just thinks of us as standup surfers and surfers. Which is exactly the distinction I've made here numerous times. She  said she gets exasperated enforcing the regulation and having to tell people  to move over and over. 

PB, you are no longer my hero.  :)
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
Good. I couldn't handle the pressure. I need to be less of a reactionary old fart.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »

PB, you are no longer my hero.  :)
First Lance Armstrong and now this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal