Author Topic: Got flipped off today  (Read 10978 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Got flipped off today
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
Funny:  Was out surfing this morning with Ralph at Sup-Position trying one of his cool boards.  Struggled a bit but managed to ride a few waves.  It was pretty crowded at one area and I paddled away from the crowd, as I always do.  There was me and one long boarder off a couple hundred yards south of the pack, nobody else around.  I was nowhere near the guy, never was, never caused him a problem in any way.  The guy was staring at me so I looked over sensing that he was trying to get my attention.  As soon as I looked at him he gave me the finger and shook it at me, violently.  LOL! And I was supposed to be upset by this?   Did he expect me to paddle over and pick a fight?  Did he somehow think I actually cared?  I think that sort of attitude is comical. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Got flipped off today
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »
Funny:  Was out surfing this morning with Ralph at Sup-Position trying one of his cool boards.  Struggled a bit but managed to ride a few waves.  It was pretty crowded at one area and I paddled away from the crowd, as I always do.  There was me and one long boarder off a couple hundred yards south of the pack, nobody else around.  I was nowhere near the guy, never was, never caused him a problem in any way.  The guy was staring at me so I looked over sensing that he was trying to get my attention.  As soon as I looked at him he gave me the finger and shook it at me, violently.  LOL! And I was supposed to be upset by this?   Did he expect me to paddle over and pick a fight?  Did he somehow think I actually cared?  I think that sort of attitude is comical.

Welcome to the cliffs...that's why I stay away from there.....until it gets big then the old men stand on the cliffs drinking their coffee and laugh when we get pummeled.  A lot of grump old men there.
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »
  Sometimes you have to play with a tough crowd.

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »
LOL.  Kinda like road rage.

Pretty simple psychology though.  When the longboard started making it's "comeback", the shortboarders and spongers hated us because.  1. We sat outside them. 2. We caught more waves than them.  3. We rode them longer. 

Now everybody hates us because 1. We sit outside of them.  2. We catch more waves than them.  3. We ride them longer.

Same ole same ole.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:57:09 AM »
Look on the bright side, you didn't get mooned.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
Look on the bright side, you didn't get mooned.

LOL!  That would have been even more funny.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
maybe you should have mooned him!!!
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »

Dang!  Why didn't I think of that sooner?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

chicagoflasup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »

Dang!  Why didn't I think of that sooner?

just make sure u are not to close to him u might get something put somewhere u dont want it..

they tell me i need to be careful those big things re dangerous. i tell them your right u need to be careful this big thing is dangerous "dont get in my way.."

funny how they call my 9' board big when they are on 10' longboards
-------WHAT WOULD LAIRD DO?------

excote 8'11'' fish
allwave 9'1''
naish mana 10'
custom biscuit 6' (prone)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »
He's getting back at you for all the shortboarders flipping HIM off. Longboarders are the middle child of surfing
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »
Sylvio Mancusi is a big wave rider.  On the this YouTube clip, at 1:19 he says "The sport doesn't matter, the most important thing is to be in the water".
http://youtu.be/2JbismuScOU

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »
We're all surfers.  Doesn't matter in what fashion you're catching the wave.
The emotionally fit among us get it.

I was trading surf stories with a friend and he had his own little series of
hate episodes.  And he's a body surfer!

There's enough crap floating in the water to keep this tale going for time. 
Luckily the stoke gotten from my last ride overrides the stink.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »
I was thinking of all the hate you see at swim meets between backstrokers and butterflyers--or not.  Even if there were, the thing that would counteract it is the existence of the IM--individual medley.  Track has something similar in the decathlon.  It's hard to think of people in one discipline of a sport being that much different than people in another when there are events that require doing a combination of disciplines.  It'd be interesting to see what would happen in surfing if there were "all-around" events where you had to compete in both surfing and standup surfing.  I know competitions are a whole different thing unto themselves involving a small percentage of surfers, but still could be interesting. 

I guess a similar disarming effect could happen if people ever show up one day on a standup board, another day on a prone board, so people see them doing both well--do many people do that?

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:47 AM »
Same thing happened to me on a pretty remote reef break , paddled out small take off point with a few crew so I decided to paddle 200 yards to the next break . On the way I came across an older guy with a helmet on a semi gun about the half way mark. I was way too wide to catch a wave and just paddling past and said " How's it going " he replied "F-Off" I just laughed and kept paddling another 100 yards to the next empty peak. He was in nomads land just drifting around. I just think these haters have really forgotten why they surf.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:24:12 AM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »
I was thinking of all the hate you see at swim meets between backstrokers and butterflyers--or not.  Even if there were, the thing that would counteract it is the existence of the IM--individual medley.  Track has something similar in the decathlon.  It's hard to think of people in one discipline of a sport being that much different than people in another when there are events that require doing a combination of disciplines.  It'd be interesting to see what would happen in surfing if there were "all-around" events where you had to compete in both surfing and standup surfing.  I know competitions are a whole different thing unto themselves involving a small percentage of surfers, but still could be interesting. 

I guess a similar disarming effect could happen if people ever show up one day on a standup board, another day on a prone board, so people see them doing both well--do many people do that?

I coach high school varsity water polo and we get many players coming from competitive swimming backgrounds.  The biggest problem we have getting swimmers to play polo is the swim coaches.  Many swim coaches are anti-water polo.  They will tell the parents to not let your boys play polo because it will ruin their swim stroke.  But that argument is ridiculous, because if it were true, butterfly would hurt your backstroke, and breast stroke can't be good for your freestyle.
The coaches convince parents that their child can get a scholarship if they swim year round on their swim team and pay $500/month for elite training, for the next 10 years.  What they don't tell them is that less than 1% of high school athletes play sports in college and that scholarships are few and far between, unless you are that top 1% in the nation.  Title nine made even more difficult for boys to get scholarships.

It is a real us vs. them situation, in what you would think are two very compatible sports.

The great thing about water polo is once we actually do get a ball in a swimmers hand, they are hooked.  It's way more fun than swimming 6,000 yards a day, month in, month out.

Its kind of like stand up paddle surfing v. longboarding.  I ask myself why would anyone want to longboard when they can stand up.  Some people just don't get it.
The reason I put SUP surfing against longboarding, is that I still like to shortboard.  Haven't touched my long board in two years now.  SUP is way more fun.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal