Author Topic: Big Sunday in September downwinder vid.  (Read 5167 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Big Sunday in September downwinder vid.
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:09:09 PM »
It was pretty good out there yesterday..  :)

The new Jav was AWESOME..  ;D

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Big Sunday in September downwinder vid.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
Oh, that looks good!   :D

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
Maaaan I am ready to try that!  Gotta get a leash plug into my 14 footer.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
Brilliant glides there......green!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
Awesome conditions and glides!
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
I got just as lost in the tune as the video. Very nice.

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »
very very nice as always!!!
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »
Hey DJ - you look faster on the new board.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
Awesome video, as always. Thanks!
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »
Thanks.. I still haven't looked at half the vid that I got that day.. There's almost three hours (two cameras) of it and it was pretty damn good the whole way..   I just chopped a little bit more out of what I had before removing it all from my computer.. With a little bit of the new transformers film music..   

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »
madmax,what 14' board do you have that doesn't come with a leash plug?

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
Hey DJ, couple questions about the new Jav…  Have you had the chance to paddle the 26" wide version?  Is the 28" as bomber stable as it looks?  Guess I'm still wondering why Naish went from having their high end race board be available crazy narrow to now only 26" wide?  Just curious what your take on it is...
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »
 I was curious if the low rocker would be poking more, and also how it reacts when it does. It looks like you got the trim figured out nicely. Do tell how it works.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »
Hey DJ, couple questions about the new Jav…  Have you had the chance to paddle the 26" wide version?  Is the 28" as bomber stable as it looks?  Guess I'm still wondering why Naish went from having their high end race board be available crazy narrow to now only 26" wide?  Just curious what your take on it is...

The board really surprised me in those conditions.. So good.. So fast.. No real problem with the low nose.. Didn't catch it.. or a rail once.. No real falls other than a couple of silly slip-offs while going to sit down or stand while stopped from not concentrating.. It was nice to cool off..  .. The new Javelin flys when you keep the tip of the nose just out of the water.. and even poking the nose under at speed has no real effect.. It really is quite amazing.. I expected it to catch for sure.. The other thing that amazed me was how the high thickness of the nose was not effected by the strong side winds.. Did I mention the board is fast..  .. It's like there is no top speed once planing.. Paddle harder and it just goes faster.. The Naish guys say the the extra speed is for getting over one bump and onto the one in front.. I'm not that energetic.. I'd rather hang in there.. Milk it and try and link them.. The tail rocker alows you to raise the nose when needed and controle the speed when dropping into a steeper runner.. I found myself moving more than I really need to.. It's only my third time on this board so it's still early days.. I'm thinking it can only get better..

I have paddled the 26" wide version in calm water and I was fine.. Not sure about rough water like on downwinders.. I could probably do it but not without constant concentration and wobbles.. That not my cup-a-tea.. I'd much rather relax and enjoy it more at the cost of being slightly slower.. I found the 26" x 12'6" pretty tippy.. Looking forward to trying the 28" x 12'6" Jav one day.. I've heard that Riggs Napolian really likes the 12'6" x 26" the most out of all the new Jav's.. But he's up there with Connor and Kai in skills.. I think Naish are listening to the normal every day people that are buying and paddling their boards.. I think they coped a lot of flak about producing a 12'6" and 14' Jav that's 23 and 24" wide that were  quickly named 'Lenny boards'.. and not possable for mere mortals.. I think 26 and 28" widths for the new Jav's is perfect.. I find the new 28" Jav more stable than the old 27" wide Glides.. and almost the same as the new 29" wide Glide.. I think the new Jav's are a progression of the Glides V1, V2 and V3..

I'm no downwinding talent.. or have any special skills.. Anyone who has done as many DWers as me would look good with my camera rig on their board.. Other people can make claims about how well their boards work on DWers but talk is cheap.. The proof is in the pudding when you see it working in a vid.. Especially from the camera angle that I have.. Another thing about this new Jav shape that I haven't mentioned is how well it turns on a runner.. In this vid the wind was strong from the left so very runner had to be surfed left.. I'm looking forward to a better wind angle one day so I can carve some turns left and right so I can show how well this board turns.. I always found the old V1 and V2 Glides very stiff and very hard to turn.. It will be interesting to see what the competition does now.. The boof nose needs a narrow tail to work because the tail needs to move up and down as the boof nose goes up and down as it move over chop rather than pierce through.. Having a piercing nose.. and volume to bring the nose up quicker.. and a wide tail seems to be the magic formula right now.. I think Naish have hit the nail on the head with this new shape..  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:58:45 PM by DavidJohn »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 01:18:07 AM »
I noticed you are turning more and quicker on this board.

I've switched from my Jimmy Lewis M14 to Rogue Rage with a slightly wider tail and pronounced tail kick. As much as the M14 was a nice turner the extra width in back makes moving around back there a walk in the park and the tail kick makes for snappy turns.

At 180cm / 75kg (5'11 / 165lbs) do you think I would qualify for the x26? I know, I know. Gotta try. Just guessing. The Rogue Rage is 27"  low volume (250L). I'm just guessing from shapes the 26" Javelin wouldn't be far off in terms of stability.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal