Author Topic: Entry level race board recommendation...  (Read 5073 times)

zirkel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Entry level race board recommendation...
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »
I'm entertaining the idea of doing a flatwater race or two next year (think Tahoe), and recently paddled a friends 14' carbon race board and was AMAZED by the increased speed and tracking!

That said, I'm looking for recommendations for a 14' board that would be stable enough for an entry-level racer, yet fast and relatively lightweight?  And under/around $2000?  And would it be too much to ask for carbon?

Related:

I see many race boards are offered in various widths (ie. 26", 28").  I'm completely comfortable on my current 12'6"x29" and wondering how much narrower I could go and still maintain that level of stability.  Additionally, is stability generally a function solely of board width, does board design play a role, as well?

Thanks!

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
Re: Entry level race board recommendation...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »
The Bark Dominator is a classic at 27 1/2 wide with a quiet bow entry. The Amundson 14 TRX Inegra 28" Carbon is a favorite for doing everything well and can be found at or around your price. Demo a few at your local shop and get a feel for what works for you. Try out the tippy ones too just to maybe rule them out.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:27:40 PM »
I would suggest that the JP Australia Sportster Flat Water 14x28 could fit the bill if purchased off-season at a discount.

Cheers,

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

pugsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »
I can 2nd the Amundson 14" TRX recommendation. It's fast but stable, a very good all around board. You can find them for $2000.
This summer I demoed this beast and if I had a proper storage solution for it, I would have made the purchase.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:23:29 AM »
Yes, you can't go far wrong with a Bark Dominator.

As for your other Qs, most people find boards under 27" tippy. And most find boards over 29" wide a bit awkward to paddle once they are an intermediate or above - although there is a great deal to be said for stability in terms of speed. HOWEVER, these "rules of thumb" are are only true of flat water and people under about 200lbs and who are physically active. No-one can really tell you how tippy you will find a board, you just have to try them for yourself: it's so personal.

And yes, boards of similar width can differ in stability. I tried a Mistral M1 which is 27" wide in flat water and it felt more stable to me than a 28" wide Dominator. My friends were split in their opinion of which was nicer to paddle - although everyone liked both. In general their opinion depended on their weight, but also their paddling style. So, you've gotta try before you buy if at all possible.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »
How about NEW 2014 Fanatic Falcon 14FT X 30" CARBON meets your budget (PM or email me for firm pricing...)
                Demo "   "     "   "    "   "     "  "    "        "    "   Far less than the budget

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:07:18 PM »
Not sure of your size but I really think this plays in on the 14' race board decision.  For a guy the 14' class is stacked and super competitive.  If you are a smaller guy that is comfortable on a 12'6" board it may actually be easier to get on the podium with the 12'6" board.  Even though a 14' board is faster, you are competing only against other 14' boards. 

Paddle what you enjoy paddling and get out there and do some races for fun. 

Cheers, Jill

Sorrento

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
I think the Bic Sup C-tec tracer 14x 28 would be worth a look at. Carbon innegra construction, 13.5 kgs. I think it is $1999 US.

SUPalon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »
Focus Cali 12'6-12'6'' x 28'' x 5 1/2 in VST const (Veneer Sandwich Tech) MSRP $1375, in ACT (Advanced Carbon Tech) MSRP $1840.

The Focus Cali 14 is inch narrower  since there's additional stability from the length-14'0" x 27" x 5" in VST const MSRP $1615, ACT MSRP $1955. I had paddlers who never been (and thought they'll be able too) on a board this narrow who were shocked how stable and comfortable they felt.

Both boards are plenty fast and light (in both const) and very stable, user friendly, in my personal experience and from the feedback I got from other paddlers. very comfortable to paddle and race in calm and rough/choppy conditions.    Demo if possible , but odds are since it's your first board, as long as don't go narrow/wide, you'll be stoked! get out there!..;)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 04:09:21 AM »
Additionally, is stability generally a function solely of board width, does board design play a role, as well?

Lots of good replies on specific boards; I'm a big fan of the versatility of the new Fanatics.  As far as stability there are a few really good threads here that are worth searching.  In a nut shell, the wider, the flatter the bottom, the flatter the rocker, the more parallel the rails, the more stable the board would be.  Search on stability and secondary stability.

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »
Depends what is your 1é'6" x29 shape. if you choose a 14' you normally can go down to 28" wide with same stability assuming similar shape. If board deck is low above water then you may go narrower, if board gives secondary stability ( more volume and width above water)  that may be more stable. you also shoud assule that you'll  be yourself more stable as you get some experience.
Depends also in which future condition you plan to practice next 2 years ...
What is your weight and height?  some shapes fit better to heavy and tall, some better to light.  Generally the smallest and lightest you are, the narrower you can use. and additionally boards with thin nose and tails should fit better if you are lightweight. At the opposite, ulky and roused noses and wide tails are a better compromise for heavy dudes.

Something like a bark dominator or a bic tracer, as said above, fit  well for a medium sized and give honorable glide in most conditions, including light downwinders.
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 10:07:26 AM »
Stability is a function of board width and board design.  By testing a board in various paddling conditions you can sort out how much narrower you can go and still maintain a comfortable level of stability.  Keep in mind that you may get better so choose wisely to avoid buyer's remorse.  Best is to demo demo demo and get a board that meets your current and future needs.  Yes the Dominator is stable and quick - enjoy the search!
 8)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal