Author Topic: Proner gets attacked and hit in the head with a paddle.  (Read 5685 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Proner gets attacked and hit in the head with a paddle.
« on: September 22, 2014, 06:24:43 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been seen, but it's kind of chilling.  It appears that a person who surfs with a paddle used it as a weapon in the water against this guy while another friend held him.  It does not say the person was a SUPer, so it could be a buttboarder.  That used to be really popular in Australia.   Anyone who knows more, I would be interested to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_4EL15XDY
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:33:42 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Proner gets attacked and hit in the head with a paddle.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:27 AM »
At the very end she says they are looking for two witnesses on wave skis to corroborate.
So likely not SUP
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »
On jet  skis  i thought  she said.  You would think that he knew the locals there and probably has an idea who did it> I hope they catch the bum and punish him.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
At the very end she says they are looking for two witnesses on wave skis to corroborate.
So likely not SUP

Actually it says jetskis.

Hitting someone with a paddle is potentially assault with a deadly weapon here in the US.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:55 AM »
PB, depending upon the circumstance, I suppose it could even be characterized as attempted murder.  I really hope they nab the SOB.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »
Early on, it said two "boarders". No mention of SUP per se. One held him, the other hit him. 

No context i.e. stink eye, threats, provocation, attack, whether the victim threw a punch etc. but that really doesn't matter, it was assault.

They also mentioned that the one sided account from the victim was not completely accurate.

Physical violence is typically a no win situation for both parties.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »
I don’t believe him. Maybe he’s lying or took a bad fall and believes that’s what happened. The police say there’s conflicting reports, probably his and the witnesses that did not get their bell rung. Reminds me of this. http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-injured-skateboarder-claimed-mugging-slam-wall/story?id=16838533

NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »
Would have to be a pretty stout paddle.  I doubt my race paddle could give someone a basilar skull fracture.  More likely a backwards fall onto one of those rocks on the beach.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
This happened back in 2011.  I met Peter, he took a SUP surf lesson with me last year and I just want to clarify that he was not prone surfing.

This is what he told me about what happened:  He was on a SUP himself in small surf at his regular spot close to his house.  He said the guy that attacked him dropped in on him several times.  When Peter confronted him about it, the guy got mad and hit him with his paddle.  The sharp edge of the blade hit Peter in the back of his head and caused some serious damage.  He said it fractured his scull and caused brain damage, hearing loss and loss of balance.  He did some erratic things after the accident which also caused his marriage to fall apart, pretty tragic story, really. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:16:08 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:25:59 AM »
Sometimes doctors get tired of working, too, and would just rather collect disability for the duration.  If they have a good disability policy, they could get excellent income out to 65 yo when they would retire anyway.  I know some who have done this for one reason or another.

Basilar skull fracture is no joke, but they usually heal OK because they are typically non displaced injuries. How long the effects actually last, subject to interpretation. How he got it, apparently nobody will ever know for sure except the alleged perps and the good doc.  In one account, he says his son was with him, but nobody interviewed the son, which is strange, since the son would probably be able to recognize the perps etc.

The way he described the scuffle, with three boards banging against each other and the perps grabbing and swinging, does not sound do-able without everybody just falling in the water.  It is hard to visualize it happening the way he said.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:38:48 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »
This happened back in 2011.  I met Peter, he took a SUP surf lesson with me last year and I just want to clarify that he was not prone surfing.

This is what he told me about what happened:  He was on a SUP himself in small surf at his regular spot close to his house.  He said the guy that attacked him dropped in on him several times.  When Peter confronted him about it, the guy got mad and hit him with his paddle.  The sharp edge of the blade hit Peter in the back of his head and caused some serious damage.  He said it fractured his scull and caused brain damage, hearing loss and loss of balance.  He did some erratic things after the accident which also caused his marriage to fall apart, pretty tragic story, really. 

Thanks for the clarification.  The news story did not fill in all of those details.  The guy sounds like the tragic victim when we hear his side of it, I wonder if it would be the same if we heard the other side.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
The stories are never the same when something like this happens. Either by bias or outright lies.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
No matter how it happened, it's sad that the guy got badly injured and it's a good reminder of the potential for tragedy from even relatively minor violence. No guns, no knives, and still the guys life got screwed up.

As far as viewpoints on a story, it's well understood how inaccurate all testimony routinely is. There's a long article and accompanying video I saw somewhere on line (couldn't find the one I'm looking for with a casual Google search) that illustrates the unreliability of eyewitness testimony as well as the testimony of people who were the victims of violent crime. Amazing how much stuff they got wrong. Even the basics. One guy was robbed at knife point by an Asian guy about 5'5". The victim described the robber as black and over 6 feet. He asserted it over and over. And when they showed him the video, he was speechless.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »
I saw that same video--in fact wasn't it you that posted it on another thread a couple months ago?  But it was a woman who was robbed, and it was at gunpoint, not knifepoint. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »
I would certainly make a terrible witness unless they got a recorded statement withing twenty minutes. totally FIFO and the turn time is about the same as a goldfish. I left my iPad in a restaurant tonight. Went back to get it and the waitress said "this is the second time you left this here". I said "Really"?

Sheesh.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal