Author Topic: Ke Nalu Board?  (Read 8566 times)

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ke Nalu Board?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »
Ooo ya Namotu!!! I wanna go there Laremy, er a Lane.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 08:33:29 AM »
Contact Dave Kalama, he's hooked up extremely well with the Namotu folks.

Yeah, lucky guy, it seems he's there all the time. I think Mike Maltze is still a partner in Namotu & I know lots of acquaintances but we were told there was only one week available for the year...would be a dream come true to be able to have that place booked all to ourselves.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »
Ooo ya Namotu!!! I wanna go there Laremy, er a Lane.

Now I know who you are, Hi Jason. You're invited wherever we can figure out to go. There's been lots of good conversation about locations. A boat trip to somewhere like the Maldives would be pretty nice too but those boats are getting crazy expensive these days & I'm getting too old to want to sleep in the engine room for a better deal  :)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 03:42:39 AM »
I finally got out on this board yesterday. My first impressions were "oh no I made a mistake" I couldn't paddle the thing AT ALL & wondered how anyone could. Part of the reason I decided on this size is I don't have the luxury of being able to step down in size. I had to pick something I thought I'd be able to paddle & go with it. Anyway, I kept at it & after 5 minutes I could paddle a bit but still couldn't find my legs. After 10 minutes I could stay on for about 10 minutes & after 1/2 hour I was feeling much better. I initially had no intention of even trying to catch a wave but within an hour I started looking, unfortunately my legs had about had it from all the constant micro adjusting I was having to do & I wisely called it a day (I can still walk today & will be able to get back at it sooner). The conditions were a bit bumpy due to onshore winds which I'm sure didn't make things any easier. I was very happy using a Konihi 84 at about 2" overhead in length (love short SUS paddles) after a LOT of bracing with both the blade face & back I can personally say I didn't have any problems. I thought the winglets might hang up but they didn't' for me & did I mention I did a LOT of bracing...Looking forward to getting it back in the water & actually surfing. For now I'm happy I can paddle it but still a bit surprised that guys my size (187 lbs. 85kg) can paddle sub 100 liter boards...paddling this thing felt like paddling a beach ball at first. Hopefully there will come a time when I look back on this post an laugh at myself for saying this.

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 04:43:01 AM »
You will  ;D

I feel very tipsy every time I come off my longboard to a more "PRO" low volume shape. Once your small twitch muscles get firing, your muscles settle down and stop over reacting.

I like the looks of the board. I LOVE the wood perimeter.... it pretty much eliminates all of the annoying  paint scrapes and the need for rail tape (which I won't use)
Add a small noseblock with them all in layered mahogany-balsa sandwich and yowwzaaa!

But... IMO.... camao is soooo yesterday. But not yesterday enough to be cool. I think that sweet looking balsa deck is the perfect canvas for some inspired pad work

notice the paddle that is the center of this Pad-gem..... perfect bit of subliminal art ;)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »
You will  ;D

I feel very tipsy every time I come off my longboard to a more "PRO" low volume shape. Once your small twitch muscles get firing, your muscles settle down and stop over reacting.

I like the looks of the board. I LOVE the wood perimeter.... it pretty much eliminates all of the annoying  paint scrapes and the need for rail tape (which I won't use)
Add a small noseblock with them all in layered mahogany-balsa sandwich and yowwzaaa!

But... IMO.... camao is soooo yesterday. But not yesterday enough to be cool. I think that sweet looking balsa deck is the perfect canvas for some inspired pad work

notice the paddle that is the center of this Pad-gem..... perfect bit of subliminal art ;)

First of all...WOW! that looks amazing. I have no where near that kind of artistic ability. I agree about camo statement but I got the pad for free & it seemed like the best choice offered. It's a shame there isn't something clear. I know I could use wax but I really prefer pads for SUP boards. I really like your mosaic; I could never hope to do anything that creative but it sure looks better than a traditional pad. Great work!

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 04:34:27 AM »
ha ha... I wish it was my work.... I found that on a Zone deckpad thread from 2010.... incredible stuff... it has been bumped up recently, check in "Gear" for the whole thread.... very inspirational. I bet you could find a local artisan in Phuket to cut some from a traction sheet.... and of course, then it is all becomes an advertising vehicle for all things Ke Nalu  :)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 05:27:10 AM »
Slatch,  Surfco makes a colorless, translucent tail piece.  Maybe K-N could contract them to make a variety of front pieces.  The only limitation to this material is that it is all air chambers - you dare not 'mosaic' it.   ..feels very sticky but I have never got it wet.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
We had one of those on our North Pacific 9-0.  Worked nice and really grippy.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 11:40:42 PM »
Slatch,  Surfco makes a colorless, translucent tail piece.  Maybe K-N could contract them to make a variety of front pieces.  The only limitation to this material is that it is all air chambers - you dare not 'mosaic' it.   ..feels very sticky but I have never got it wet.

Jim

That looks pretty cool. Curious how it would feel under your feet, if it would be too squishy feeling with the air pockets. Although it seems like something they would have thought about, probably pretty comfy on your feet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal