Author Topic: The reactions you get to your SUP from proners. Do surf punks hate us more?  (Read 12012 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The reactions you get to your SUP from proners. Do surf punks hate us more?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »

If the Guy was yelling out to you then that is a different matter..
You might ask him to leave his baggage at home.

Be Cool and Compassionate...

Well said. It's important to remember that technically were guests in there territory. Surfing has been around a lot longer than SUPing. Doesn't mean we bend over... just means we keep a certain level of respect and understanding. If everyone has fun..we have nothing to worry about.
"Cool and compassionate" yes, but "Guests in their territory" seems awfully deferential. You're not guests at all, and it's not their territory, regardless of who came first in history (which very well may not have been prone surfing).

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
There was no trouble at all today.  I was just remarking on the different reactions; thought it was interesting.  I try very hard to be a good ambassador for our sport, probably overly so.  Plus, like many of us, I prone surf too and I used to hate SUPs too, so I know where they are coming from. 

The problem is that the haters just irrationally hate us all because they have made judgement on all of us because of what the SUP kooks have done in the past. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:10:22 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »
PdxMike,

While what your saying may be true, it's kind of missing my point. My point is lets just be respectful. Nobody wants to lose our SUP freedoms that the surfing majority would be happy to fight to have removed. It's already started in Hawaii..
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
I'm sure everyone's experience is different, just as our worldviews are unique. There's plenty of people SUP surfing that give haters ammunition. Kooks, wavehogs, loudmouths. I've been all three. I'm still number three and take a good run at one sometimes. It's certainly not a bad idea to at least speak to other SUP surfers who are being a pain in the ass. But it's not what we are there to do. It's not enjoyable, it doesn't add to the experience.

As far as who hates us most, I've never had much grief from good surfers, or shortboarders. And never from anyone riding bigger surf. It's mostly poor to mediocre longboarders on weeny little three foot waves that get their panties in a knot. That makes it just a laughable situation that I'm really way past caring about.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »
PdxMike,

While what your saying may be true, it's kind of missing my point. My point is lets just be respectful. Nobody wants to lose our SUP freedoms that the surfing majority would be happy to fight to have removed. It's already started in Hawaii..
I got your point.  Certainly be respectful. And certainly prone surfers will be pushing for restrictions in the future.  That's why I wanted to point out there's no need to feel like standups are guests.  In Hawaii, the opponents of the recent proposed standup restrictions preached aloha, respect, etc. but also made it absolutely clear they had every bit as much right to the water as anyone else.  That turned out to be a powerful combination.  You can show respect, and understand the other side's views, while still being clear you have the same rights they do to the water, and you'll get more respect back if you do. 

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 09:46:29 PM »
PdxMike,

I got your point.  Certainly be respectful. And certainly prone surfers will be pushing for restrictions in the future.  That's why I wanted to point out there's no need to feel like standups are guests.  In Hawaii, the opponents of the recent proposed standup restrictions preached aloha, respect, etc. but also made it absolutely clear they had every bit as much right to the water as anyone else.  That turned out to be a powerful combination.  You can show respect, and understand the other side's views, while still being clear you have the same rights they do to the water, and you'll get more respect back if you do.

Agreed :)
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:56 AM »
Hey guys,

I hate the stink eye as much as the next guy. In fact, eggy sessions surrounded by angry surfers often ruin my sessions. I think it's important, though, to look at our part. I'll speak for myself...

When I was new I had no concept of snaking or respect. And so what did I do? I snaked..a lot. Not too mention on a boat-of-a-board that most of us start out on. I still see a fellow SUP'er drop in on guys constantly. It really gets to me. That's the kind of behavior that's going to get us banned from all beaches except a few select SUP spots. I love T street, 204's, the Pier and Strands too much to lose them! In fact, the first time somebody gets seriously injured by a SUP, I think SUP's being banned is a very real possibility. Hawaii has already started.

So it doesn't surprise me when we get the stink eye. Sometimes our fellow, especially new, SUP'ers have earned that for us. Not too mention the insane advantage we have over proners.

I think it is our job to police ourselves before the lifeguards and laws do! Keep an eye on fellow SUP'ers...

Note: i'm not talking about anyone here. It sounds like the guy who started this thread is more than respectful.
I agree  I see lot of sup dropping in  way of on the shoulder,  Thing is that is wrong those guys should  be taking off at he peal  like any good surfer If you are on the should  then maybe your not as  good as you think  and should rethink your position in the line up
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 04:48:26 AM »
I think it's a frustration thing if you only prone surf on small boards. I've been out trying to make it work on a small board when a stand up guy comes out and happily catches lots of waves and get's long rides and is back in the lineup pronto. I finally say screw it, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. I'm going in and getting my stand up board.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:45 AM »
Jerks are jerks whether in the water, on the road, in the bleachers at their kids' games, etc. I try to be respectful and be the first to apologize when I'm at fault but I don't think there's any point trying to convince them that all SUPrs aren't kooks. They've made up their minds so I just ignore them. It must be exhausting to be angry all the time...

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »
Gotta  disagree.....! no we are not guests in their territory.  there is no difference in riding waves  just how you catch them and the ocean is for us all. saying we are guests in their territory is like sying they have more right o be there than we do or if you wan to split hairs since I have surfed for nearly 50 years  then someone who has only surfed for 30  has less right to  be there>>>>>>> I don't think so.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Rolf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
I prone surfed like a lot of you before I got into using
a paddle , when I go {sup} surfing I think of it as surfing and
not sup or susing , we should just do away with that silly sup specific
vocabulary and just consider ourself surfers  8)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »
Right on Rolf!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
I prone surfed like a lot of you before I got into using
a paddle , when I go {sup} surfing I think of it as surfing and
not sup or susing , we should just do away with that silly sup specific
vocabulary and just consider ourself surfers  8)

Hear, hear!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »
How about "kneesers", about half way between "proner" and "SuSer", since I do a bit of popping up from knees after paddling into the wave.  I'm not the only one, I see a few doing it, too, even a guy standing up on a longboard and using a kayak paddle to paddle on knees into the wave and pop up.

I don't really regard "proner" as derogatory, per se, it is pretty clear and succinct what you are talking about in the mysterious glossary of surfing terminology.  Doesn't seem any worse than "sponger" or "butt boarder".
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal