Author Topic: The reactions you get to your SUP from proners. Do surf punks hate us more?  (Read 12010 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP surfed both Saturday and Sunday morning in Huntington Beach and had these reactions to my SUPing from proners.  Note:  I am extremely careful not to take waves, endanger or get in the way of proners.

1.  Proner #1 said, "Good morning" to me as I paddled by.  We chatted for a minute and as I was paddling away he said "I've always wanted to try one of those things." 

2.  Encouraged by this, I said "Good morning" to the next proner I passed.  He said "Good morning" too and we exchanged pleasantries.

3.  Finally said a friendly "good morning" to a more surf punk looking guy on a shortboard as I paddled by and, as you can probably guess, got nothing but stinkeye.  Said "good morning" again and he nodded but continued the lethal look.  If looks could kill, I would be bleeding out in the ocean right now.  I never took a wave he wanted and actually was rarely even near the guy. 

The first two people looked more like working and family men, the last one looked like he lived only to surf.  Seems to me like those kind of guys hate us the most.  Surfing is their life and we must be ruining that somehow.  Most others are more reasonable.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:26:09 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

Re: The reactions you get to your SUP from proners. Do surf punks hate us more?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »
Just the way some people are...

I have always lived to surf... but never cared what anyone else rode or did.... I just like being in the water... it's more fun to be around stoked, happy people.

Most surfers are the same way.... but as in many things in life.... it's the assholes that stand out.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
My possible explanation as an outsider:  The first guys are there for the same reason you are--enjoying the activity.  They have no reason not to accept you unless you're unsafe, hogging waves, etc.   

The rude guy is there trying to live out the whole mythical, badass surfer lifestyle/image that's in his head.  Your mere presence as someone who doesn't fit the proper image of a "surfer" threatens his whole inner fantasy world he's so desperately trying to hold together, so he lashes out at you.  Your surfing ability, unselfishness, etc. are irrelevant and won't change his opinion or response.  Your showing up as a conventional person on a standup board is the equivalent to him of you sneaking into an obsessive/compulsive's house and randomly moving things out of place.

Think of all the movies (Vertigo, Shutter Island...) that show people being torn apart psychically by the mental turmoil of being forced to come to terms with a reality that differs from what's in their head, after having spent years building and trying to maintain a false, imaginary world, and how they lash out at anyone/anything that threatens that, because it's a matter of survival for them. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:16:27 PM by pdxmike »

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
most of the stink eye and words I get come from  the surfers who don't know or choose not to follow the rules or  frustrated  40-50 something  on small boards not catching waves.   however some are just assholes period  wheter they be in the water inline at he store or  on the road. I'd say 10%
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »
My possible explanation as an outsider:  The first guys are there for the same reason you are--enjoying the activity.  They have no reason not to accept you unless you're unsafe, hogging waves, etc.   

The rude guy is there trying to live out the whole mythical, badass surfer lifestyle/image that's in his head.  Your mere presence as someone who doesn't fit the proper image of a "surfer" threatens his whole inner fantasy world he's so desperately trying to hold together, so he lashes out at you.  Your surfing ability, unselfishness, etc. are irrelevant and won't change his opinion or response.  Your showing up as a conventional person on a standup board is the equivalent to him of you sneaking into an obsessive/compulsive's house and randomly moving things out of place.

Think of all the movies (Vertigo, Shutter Island...) that show people being torn apart psychically by the mental turmoil of being forced to come to terms with a reality that differs from what's in their head, after having spent years building and trying to maintain a false, imaginary world, and how they lash out at anyone/anything that threatens that, because it's a matter of survival for them. 

Spot on explanation PDX.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
most of the stink eye and words I get come from  the surfers who don't know or choose not to follow the rules or  frustrated  40-50 something  on small boards not catching waves.   however some are just assholes period  wheter they be in the water inline at he store or  on the road. I'd say 10%

Good observation.  This guy fit that bill.  I was catching 3 waves to his 1.  Never got in his way or took one of his waves though.

I remember when I used to prone surf on my 6'2" board, I got pretty annoyed with people too.  Harder to catch waves on those potato chips.  Never gave stink eye or hatred though. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:53:29 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »

Wow, I think you just successfully psychoanalyzed jerk wad surfers.  Good insight. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
I have to admit, I have never had much problem with younger surfers so far. It has been the older guys who seem to stink eye and lecture the most i.e. late 30's and above.  The younger people actually seem to be more flexible and usually friendly/courteous.

However, I have to admit, a lot of the older proners are also pretty nice.  The not so nice older ones have occasionally pulled up and turned right into me like they were thinking of running me down but had second thoughts, but they have been uncommon.

Some of the younger guys I have seen and recognize seem to have developed a portfolio of activities which includes both prone and  SUP, depending on their mood and conditions.

When I was first on the ocean, a guy in his forties always made a point of paddling over to me and telling me "Hey, man, don't be a hazard."  I could never understand what he was talking about, since I was on an inflatable board way away from the lineup on empty water with nobody in front of me.  I now realize he was stating that my EXISTENCE was a hazard because I was on a SUP. 
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
Yaa, man.  Don't you know?  You have no right to exist!  So quit existing right now!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

Excellent.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 04:58:04 PM »
Not everyone responds positively to me out in the lineup...  but I usually have such a big stoked grin on my face, that they're infected before they even realize it.  Every day on the water is a true gift from God.  I try really hard not to let anyone else throw their shadow on my stoke.  (Breathe.... release....)  and much of the time I find I'm contagious.  Now there are those who won't say 'hi' or are disgusted with my lack of ability, but I can't do much about that but get more time on the water, now, can I?

Stoked in California
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
Hey guys,

I hate the stink eye as much as the next guy. In fact, eggy sessions surrounded by angry surfers often ruin my sessions. I think it's important, though, to look at our part. I'll speak for myself...

When I was new I had no concept of snaking or respect. And so what did I do? I snaked..a lot. Not too mention on a boat-of-a-board that most of us start out on. I still see a fellow SUP'er drop in on guys constantly. It really gets to me. That's the kind of behavior that's going to get us banned from all beaches except a few select SUP spots. I love T street, 204's, the Pier and Strands too much to lose them! In fact, the first time somebody gets seriously injured by a SUP, I think SUP's being banned is a very real possibility. Hawaii has already started.

So it doesn't surprise me when we get the stink eye. Sometimes our fellow, especially new, SUP'ers have earned that for us. Not too mention the insane advantage we have over proners.

I think it is our job to police ourselves before the lifeguards and laws do! Keep an eye on fellow SUP'ers...

Note: i'm not talking about anyone here. It sounds like the guy who started this thread is more than respectful.
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »
Well maybe I am an optimist.

Only Stink Eye?

I remember a Gal once asked me if I was Happy,
I said yes and she told me to tell my face that You're Happy.
So I suppose you don't always know what you are projecting out to others..

I figure everyone is entitled to a bad day.
You don't know what others are going through...
Surfing can be a great way to decompress..
Give the guy some slack...and space..

I surf with many of the same guys (proners) day in and day out..

They have all pretty much lashed out in one way or another over the years...
They just didn't quite know how to deal with their issues at times.

If the Guy was yelling out to you then that is a different matter..
You might ask him to leave his baggage at home.

Be Cool and Compassionate...

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

nj_sup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The reactions you get to your SUP from proners. Do surf punks hate us more?
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
I think it is our job to police ourselves before the lifeguards and laws do! Keep an eye on fellow SUP'ers...

I totally agree...just like ice hockey.

When I first learned prone surfing which was later in life, I didn't know all the rules. Luckily the surfers at my home break and those who I was very fortunate to learn from, were excellent in teaching me the etiquette in addition to how to surf. This is exactly why I am not too thrilled about the big box stores selling SUP boards. When you buy from a big box store you don't get any personal tips, guidance etc., recipe for disaster in my book. We really do need to police ourselves. I'm new to SUS so I stick to areas way away from everyone else, did pretty much the same when learning to prone surf. I really believe we can make a big impact if we police ourselves. No need to be a prick, a gentle heads up to a wave hog that may not realize what he/she is doing goes a long way. Just my 2 cents.

Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
KeNalu Ho'oloa paddle
Surftech 11'6" Balboa
mike
Fanatic 9'5" Allwave
Fanatic 9'10" Allwave
Fanatic 12' Ray Wood Edition
KeNalu Ho'oloa 95 paddle

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »

If the Guy was yelling out to you then that is a different matter..
You might ask him to leave his baggage at home.

Be Cool and Compassionate...

Well said. It's important to remember that technically were guests in there territory. Surfing has been around a lot longer than SUPing. Doesn't mean we bend over... just means we keep a certain level of respect and understanding. If everyone has fun..we have nothing to worry about.
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal