Author Topic: Water  (Read 55688 times)

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Water
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2014, 11:04:51 PM »
Gunga Din, Gunga Din! You're a better man than I!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2014, 04:20:55 AM »
But, sorry, life is too short for the foregoing of all alcohol. Seriously, I f-ing hope you are over that sh*t  before you get back to Maui.

Alright, Bacchus, settle down. Full Sail will still be here in a few months :)

Bill is just adding to his rep as a waterman.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2014, 04:44:40 AM »
When you read that a study says something like, "it's beneficial for health for older people to weigh a few extra pounds" does that mean plump?  Or does that mean the high end of "normal" on the BMI scale, or even a bit into the "overweight" area?  I'd guess it's the latter.  But when I'm 80, at 6'-1" I bet I feel a lot healthier at 200 ("overweight") than at 150 ("normal").

The information and misinformation that swirls around us about health and weight is dizzying, BMI included.  What got me was the unexplained allowance for added weight as we age.  For our purposes I would imagine that feeling healthy and the most capable of doing the stuff that we dig is the goal, not a number or curb appeal.  It is somewhat new territory as the 80-90 year old athlete was almost unheard of a few years ago but now they are out there in numbers and there is some head scratching about what tactics might make that a reality for us. 

Add on from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/mens-health/in-depth/belly-fat/art-20045685

Regardless of your overall weight, having a large amount of belly fat increases your risk of:

•Cardiovascular disease
•Type 2 diabetes
•Colorectal cancer
•Sleep apnea

As you age, you lose muscle — especially if you're not physically active. Loss of muscle mass decreases the rate at which your body uses calories, which can make it more challenging to maintain a healthy weight. In addition, in some men fat cells in the arms and legs lose the ability to store fat, which causes any excess fat to go to the abdomen.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:43:13 AM by Admin »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2014, 07:48:49 AM »
Once I hit 200 I might back off a bit, but for now I'm waterboy. I had a nice little filet mignon tonight with some roasted corn, all washed down with some sparkle water. A nice Pinot would have worked better.

I'm down to seven bottles of psb brandy. That's all there is in the world as far as I know. If I'm going to save one bottle for the party after I kaack I need to slow down anyway.
7.5....I only pour a finger on very special occasions.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
I'm need to do this. Alcohol won't be a problem , not much of a drinker....unless Bill is around... ;). Coffee is going to be tough....started very young and like it light and sweet and drink 5 or 6 cups a day. Be good to get rid of the splenda too. I'm interested in the weight loss for sure. BMI has me obese...but I'm more interested in the inflammation angle. Anything that might minimize my damn headaches is worth it and there is at least some anecdotal evidence that cutting processed foods can help.
Unfortunately my current profile kinda looks like the 25% guy. Though I'd be skinny at 220 ( I had 3% body fat at that weight in my late teens) I'd love to see it and especially what effects it will have on surfing and racing.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »

Alright, Bacchus, settle down. Full Sail will still be here in a few months :)

Bill is just adding to his rep as a waterman.

I am actually a real lightweight in the drinking department. Two beers, two drinks, on a rare occasion, three (if I space them out enough)  it doesn't seem to matter. After that, I'm not enjoying it, just on the way to feeling awful. So, I guess I have a built-in limiter. The last time I had more than two drinks was at PB's (of course) and I paid for it.

I am stoked for PB to become a ripped version of himself, as long as he promises to not wear a speedo, no matter how effective the dietary changes might be.

When you are built on a relatively small chassis, like I am, over-doing any intakes, whether food, booze or something else, pretty much results in immediate, noticeable and uncomfortable consequences.

I think we all have built-in feedback loops that can tell us when we are overdoing the food and under-doing movement, and the two go together. The mirror is a pretty obvious feedback tool as well. But I think that years spent intentionally overriding and ignoring the information we get results in difficulty recognizing what our bodies are telling us about our lifestyles.

If you continue to eat, long after you are really full, eventually, you won't even know when you are full. The mechanism gets stretched and stretched until it just stops working.  Likewise with exercise.

When I was in my early 50's, I began to notice at work meetings that nearly every male in the room, most of them around my age or within five to seven years either way, were carrying big pot-bellies. They looked really unhealthy. By the time they would retire, if they didn't develop health problems before, it would be much more difficult or even impossible to reverse the effects of years and years of unhealthy eating/drinking/exercise habits. And that's assuming that they would even try to reverse a lifetime of bad lifestyle choices - at least as far as health is concerned.

This is a great thread, in spite of the crap I'm pitching at PB. It has already inspired me and made me more aware of what I'm eating and drinking.  I just am trying to ensure that I have a way to into Bill's secret and most awesome stashes of the finest brandy on the planet. Plus, PB is a lot of fun to get loosened up and talking story. That's gonna be a lot tougher when he's sitting around in his tribal speedo, admiring his newly revealed abs, drinking AguaPuree and eating KalePoppers ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:13:35 PM by covesurfer »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »
I am actually a real lightweight in the drinking department. Two beers, two drinks, on a rare occasion, three (if I space them out enough)  it doesn't seem to matter. After that, I'm not enjoying it, just on the way to feeling awful. So, I guess I have a built-in limiter. The last time I had more than two drinks was at PB's (of course) and I paid for it.

Hah!  I hear you.  I quit about ayear ago - which sucks, because I love to drink...and for a long time I was very good at it :).   Sadly, it had become so that a single drink, beer, wine, and for the way I felt the next day I may has well have polished the Tennesee pint.  The return had diminished a long time before I put it to rest.   

On the upside, it is really amazing to find a new knife with which we can take a stab at momma time.  If our muscles are more prone to relaxation at this vintage as LPB mentioned then we can improve the other side of the strength to weight ratio.  We have these relatively easy pockets of opportunity in our diets that on some level we recognize but take no action on.  I am convinced that at my age it is far easier to improve the equation by dropping weight than adding strength.  The result is thrilling because the net is stronger workouts (play, whatever) and improvement at a time when it is easy to resign yourself to decline.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:02:58 PM by Admin »

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »
Interesting thread.  Water has been pretty much all I drink for decades but I don't know if I can exist without ice cream. 

Coffee. I live in Oregon.  If I stopped they would take my Subaru, grab my Birkenstocks and deport me to California.

Now I'm worrried; I don't have a Subaru or Birkenstocks but deportation to Cali?  Wouldn't that be considered cruel and unusual?  ;)  ;D

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2014, 07:11:12 AM »
Interesting thread.  Water has been pretty much all I drink for decades but I don't know if I can exist without ice cream. 

Ben and Jerry are evil bastards.

Are you getting your fix every day?

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2014, 09:11:01 AM »

Yes they are; I never did trust guys that wear tie dye.

My fix is down to one mini Magnum bar a day; maybe I'll go cold turkey.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »

Yes they are; I never did trust guys that wear tie dye.

Someone could actually come up with Cold Turkey-flavored ice cream.  It would be for people who wanted to quit eating ice cream cold turkey.  One pint would probably do it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:11:25 AM by pdxmike »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »

Hah!  We used to always have those in the fridge.  They have less sugar than low fat yogurt or most health bars but...fortunately they did not put too many in a box :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:56:41 AM by Admin »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »

Hah!  We used to always have those in the fridge.  They have less sugar than low fat yogurt or most health bars but...fortunately they did not put too many in a box :)

Have you seen the Magnum ad on TV?  They use Ashton's girlfriend and yeah after I saw her I wanted to eat one...

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »

Have you seen the Magnum ad on TV?  They use Ashton's girlfriend and yeah after I saw her I wanted to eat one...

The wife and I saw that commercial last night while enjoying our (her) Magnum's; I asked if she started eating them hoping they would make her young and skinny again?  I got "the look" and might have to go cold turkey sooner than expected.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »

The wife and I saw that commercial last night while enjoying our (her) Magnum's; I asked if she started eating them hoping they would make her young and skinny again?  I got "the look" and might have to go cold turkey sooner than expected.
You can really get "the look" if you ask, "Will these make you look young and skinny again?"  as you're opening up a six-pack.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill