Author Topic: Do you narrow your stance on a tippy board?  (Read 21607 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you narrow your stance on a tippy board?
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »
I just stepped down from my nice, stable AllWave to an 8'3" x 28" performance surf SUP. The thing surfs awesome!  It's fast, pumps great, slashes tight turns and holds nicely on steep waves.  HOWEVER, it's really tippy and I am constantly having to work to stay upright when waiting for waves, often failing.  This is especially true when I am standing still.  I do the regular stuff for balance:  Knees bent, paddle in the water, bracing strokes, hybrid surf stance, Etc and I think I can get it wired with more practice, but that has generated a question:

When you are on a tippy board, do you find that a narrow stance is a little better than having your feet closer to the rails?  It seems to help a little but I was wondering what others thought. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:09:34 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Do you narrow your stance on a tippy board?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
I do, but it took a while to build the strength to do it. When I was newer I couldn't keep myself upright without some spread.

There's a guy who surfs out here sometimes on what looks to be a 25" wide board and he's basically standing like Charlie Chaplin.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »
Did Charlie Chaplin keep his legs tightly together, or something?  Sorry. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:00:53 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »
Heels together, toes out?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »
Interesting technique  ???
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:05:22 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
Yeah, kinda like ballet position 1. Don't ask me how I know that.

Now that I think about it, the Chaplin thing works with the paddle and all. Might need to get a bowler for Halloween.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
Zoo, I'll sometimes keep my feet a little closer together horizontally, but only if I'm spreading them farther apart vertically. Maybe with more experience I'll find superior balance with a narrower stance overall, but even relaxed on flat ground I feel more comfortable standing with a wider stance, so maybe not.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »
When you are on a tippy board, do you find that a narrow stance is a little better than having your feet closer to the rails? 
Yes, and slightly staggered too. 
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

Tonyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »
Narrow stance works for me. When your feet are widely spaced and you loose balance your center of gravity is further on one side whereas is you have a narrow stance your center of gravity is closer to the middle of the board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »
When I'm hanging and waiting for approaching sets, often times my feet are only inches apart in an offset stance.  And that's in either calm or windy, choppy conditions.  I think Pono mentioned something about this in a previous thread. With your knees bent, stick in the water doing a sort of sculling stroke, basically keeping pressure on your blade, you're good to go.  Let the board do what it needs/wants to do underneath you.  With the help of your paddle just give yourself a wide footprint.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 06:40:22 PM »
When I'm hanging and waiting for approaching sets, often times my feet are only inches apart in an offset stance.  And that's in either calm or windy, choppy conditions.  I think Pono mentioned something about this in a previous thread. With your knees bent, stick in the water doing a sort of sculling stroke, basically keeping pressure on your blade, you're good to go.  Let the board do what it needs/wants to do underneath you.  With the help of your paddle just give yourself a wide footprint.
What size board to you ride, BigGreen?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:03:58 PM »
I pay more attention to bracing. I can't balance on my 25" wide race board or my 9' surf sup when it gets choppy without constantly bracing.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »
I try to make my heels touch when I'm paddling in a straight stance, and I try to keep my front foot close to the stringer or across it and angled at 1:00 when I'm surfing. Rear foot depends on which way I'm turning, but neutral is on the stringer and angled at 3:00. With your feet close to the stringer you can keep the board flat even if you shuffle. If you cross step you can draw your front foot back a little, keeping it across the stringer but keepinn the angle at 1:00 which makes it easier to step across. My feet naturally supranate, which makes my knees point out, so I don't have a problem with my knees hitting even if my front foot is at a greater angle, but it's easier with my front foot pointed at 1:00.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:56:32 PM »
I pay more attention to bracing. I can't balance on my 25" wide race board or my 9' surf sup when it gets choppy without constantly bracing.
Yeah, on this narrower board, I find that I can't use the board for balance much at all.  It's all about bracing and keeping my knees bent.  When I felt myself going over, I had a lot more success this morning by lowering my center of gravity a little more and bracing better.  Was able to save it most of the time; fell over a lot less.  That seems to be the ticket. It feels good to see it starting to click.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:00:17 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »
Just like TD says...bracing
And Pono...feet close to the stringer

Both invaluable for keeping upright. Especially that "git down low brace"

Now that I think of it, I guess my feet are almost always along the stringer. Either close or spread out.

Me...I ride a 27" wide board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal