Author Topic: Do you label your SUP?  (Read 3123 times)

Clemdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Do you label your SUP?
« on: September 20, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »
As I swam in a few days ago at Tourmaline Beach after snapping my leash and watching my Starby get swept away in the waves, it occurred to me that I was going to be in deep shite with the boss if my board was swept out to see by the rip.  Particularly since I don't have any info on it in case someone found it and wanted to return it to me.  Fortunately my board was waiting for me in the sand when I made it ashore.

I'd like to put a name sticker or something on my board, just in case I'm not so lucky next time.

What do you all do?

Clem
Clem
San Diego
Naish 8'8 X32
Starboard 8'10 Wide Point
Starboard 9'5 Wide Point

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Do you label your SUP?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
I write my name, phone number and email address on my boards with a sharpie. That won't work for boards you don't own, but you can write the same info on the back of a business card and tape it to the board with packing tape--its waterproof.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »
If the board has a serial #, take a smartphone picture of the board and a close up of the serial #.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »
If the board has a serial #, take a smartphone picture of the board and a close up of the serial #.

I do this, but it doesn't address the point that the OP made: what if the person who finds the board wants to contact the owner? A serial number is great for proving to the police that something belongs to you, but the process of tracking down an owner via a serial number could be labor intense: manufacturer > dealer > owner; there are probably more in-betweens I'm not thinking of. Having a name and phone number on the board would cut down reunion time from a few days to a few hours.

I keep meaning to get a custom decal or sticker, I'm just not sure who to count on for one that won't peel-off the first time it meets water.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
I write my name, phone number and email address on my boards with a sharpie. That won't work for boards you don't own, but you can write the same info on the back of a business card and tape it to the board with packing tape--its waterproof.

PB: Sharpies come close to bailing wire and duct tape as universal tools... hey wait a minute, I haven't used bailing wire on my SUP yet....  anyone have an app?
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »

PB: Sharpies come close to bailing wire and duct tape as universal tools... hey wait a minute, I haven't used bailing wire on my SUP yet....  anyone have an app?

I buy sharpies by the pound.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tonyo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
Sharpie then layer of clear epoxy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
get one of these waterproof ID stickers usually available free at any watercraft store...

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »
no but i should  I left my ke Nalu paddle on the  ground next to my   truck after some big surf 2 thanksgivings ago   never got it back I am always looking for it on guys I see surfing where i do.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal