Author Topic: Turtle Rolling an SUP Board  (Read 13179 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Turtle Rolling an SUP Board
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »
How would this work?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:01:55 AM by Bean »

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »
How would this work?

Potentially well--when used by someone who knows what they're doing, but still has the dangers of even a regular handle in that it invites full wrapping of the fingers.  And if it's possible to do, it WILL happen, with potential for broken wrists and fingers.

A better, more foolproof design, I think is PonoBill's newest iteration with the foam lip that doesn't allow one to wrap fingers (if I read Bill's post correctly).

Bill....Can you post a pic?
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »
I agree with Kernel, you should avoid anything that encourages fully wrapping your fingers.

The Dakine strap (which I think PBill previously recommended, if memory serves) cinches down flush to the deck of the board when under load, preventing full finger wrapping, but is wide enough and sufficiently constructed to allow the four fingers a good hand-hold. The elastic has just enough "give" to provide the elbow and shoulder a good preview of the force that's coming. When the strap is unloaded it's a convenient carry handle.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
I agree with Kernel, you should avoid anything that encourages fully wrapping your fingers.

The Dakine strap (which I think PBill previously recommended, if memory serves) cinches down flush to the deck of the board when under load, preventing full finger wrapping, but is wide enough and sufficiently constructed to allow the four fingers a good hand-hold. The elastic has just enough "give" to provide the elbow and shoulder a good preview of the force that's coming. When the strap is unloaded it's a convenient carry handle.

I may have to give that Dakine strap a whirl on the next board.  What's the best place to buy them? 

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 01:50:56 PM »
I bought it locally in South Florida but here's the link to the online store:

http://www.dakine.com/p/backpacks-and-gear/accessories/kite/raptor-heelstrap
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
+1 on everything mentioned above in regard to tail handles.  Big thanks to Beasho (where is he?), Sam Pa'e, PonoBill and surfcowboy for the wealth of info and serious R&D.  The only downside is that Beasho's tail handle testing made Mavericks poundings seem tolerable, almost enjoyable, making it seem like almost anyone could paddle out and handle that wave and everything it delivers.  I used to go through boards so quickly that I never wanted to take the time to attach a tail handle but I've finally found a board that I've been on for over 6 months now and it has received a tail handle about 4 months ago. Best decision I ever made. On top of all the previous comments about making it easier in bigger surf, it also instills some confidence which can be very helpful when it gets bigger. I'm on a small board that paddles pretty slow since I sink about 3/4 of it so if I try to time a paddle out in big surf and then see the dark lines forming in the distance, I'm much more comfortable now knowing that any beating will be lessened and my board will be right there when I surface.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
Anything that invites you to grab on fully and could potentially trap your fingers is a bad idea. Having your hand in that solid handle and the board twisting on a wave.....ouch. I'm going to modify the NRS strap I installed to match what I did with the pool noodle and duct tape. With the noodle its big enough that I can't fully grab it easily, just hook 4 fingers over it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
I was out sup surfing a couple months ago with a friend who didn't have a leash on his big sup. At one point  in waist high water he grabbed the tail of his board by putting two of his fingers inside the little loop of line that the cord would normally be attached to. A little wave came and flipped his big sup over (with his two fingers in the loop) and literally chopped about an inch off of one of his fingers. (We never found it cuz it sunk.) Sorry for the gruesome details and I don't want to instill fear, but are you guys concerned at all about breaking your fingers or wrist from grabbing that tail strap due to wave action?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
I get hammered turtling.  The grab handle was next on the list but went south with a flexible connection... next trial.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »
Good gawd, I can't imagine holding the tail of my sup in anything even remotely close to 8' to 10' surf. I guess I'm going to have to read up on those tail handles because I didn't even know about them until I read this thread.

I haven't tested a tail handle in anything more than 8-10' yet...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
I consider the increased confidence to be a bad thing. I know people consume safety margin, including me. I'm comfortable get caught inside in bigger waves than I should be, as long as I have a handle. Doesn't mean that everything is going to work out fine, but I delude myself that it will.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »
...I don't want to instill fear, but are you guys concerned at all about breaking your fingers or wrist from grabbing that tail strap due to wave action?

That is EXACTLY the point that many of us continue to make about sticking fingers in places where they're not supposed to be, or grabbing onto things (rail savers) that shouldn't be grabbed.  Read the many posts on this subject, see who's lost a finger or had their finger tendons rearranged, and then immediately install and use a good tail handle.

This horse had been beaten many times, but I'll add another anecdote:  A mother at my kid's school grabbed the leash saver on a regular surfboard (not an SUP) when a wave hit her and she lost most of a finger as a result.  If you want to extrapolate that to a SUP,  just imagine broken bones along with missing digits.

PonoBill said a while ago something to the effect of:  "Guys, I'm not gonna say it again:  Put a fu**ing tail handle on your board."  So I'll say it again:  Put a fu**ing tail handle on your board; It's safer for you and for everyone out there with you. 

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
I agree that grabbing rail savers or the loop the cord is attached to is a really bad idea, and especially since a friend of mine lost an inch of his finger recently doing that. And I know I still have a lot to learn about paddling through white water, but if I know I can't get pop over the wave then I bail out and let the cord do its thing. (I always make sure no one is behind me while paddling out.) It wastes a lot of energy but isn't that the safest way?

P.S. Like I said before, I didn't know about tail straps until reading this thread yesterday so I have a lot to learn.

...I don't want to instill fear, but are you guys concerned at all about breaking your fingers or wrist from grabbing that tail strap due to wave action?

That is EXACTLY the point that many of us continue to make about sticking fingers in places where they're not supposed to be, or grabbing onto things (rail savers) that shouldn't be grabbed.  Read the many posts on this subject, see who's lost a finger or had their finger tendons rearranged, and then immediately install and use a good tail handle.

This horse had been beaten many times, but I'll add another anecdote:  A mother at my kid's school grabbed the leash saver on a regular surfboard (not an SUP) when a wave hit her and she lost most of a finger as a result.  If you want to extrapolate that to a SUP,  just imagine broken bones along with missing digits.

PonoBill said a while ago something to the effect of:  "Guys, I'm not gonna say it again:  Put a fu**ing tail handle on your board."  So I'll say it again:  Put a fu**ing tail handle on your board; It's safer for you and for everyone out there with you.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
....but if I know I can't get pop over the wave then I bail out and let the cord do its thing. (I always make sure no one is behind me while paddling out.) It wastes a lot of energy but isn't that the safest way?

That's just the reality of taking a SUP into the surf zone.  Occasionally we all have to bail, so it's imperative to maintain awareness of who's around us in order to ensure we're not going to hurt someone else.  Best bet is to never let someone close enough that this will be an issue, so the bigger and more dicey it gets, the more safety margin we need to build in. 

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal