Author Topic: Turtle Rolling an SUP Board  (Read 13177 times)

moringlish

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Turtle Rolling an SUP Board
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »
Hi all I'm trying to figure out techniques to paddle out in bigger surf and I'm wondering if anyone uses the turtle roll technique successfully with SUP and if so what do you do with the paddle when turtle rolling ?

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Turtle Rolling an SUP Board
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:21:48 AM »
I never turtle roll. Instead when I am getting my a*s kicked I resort to prone paddle skills and always go up and over.
I stand and go over in a surf stance until my a*s gets beat. And as soon as I can I am back up stroking hard.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »
Ive tried to turtle and can't make it work - board is too floaty and managing the paddle further complicates it. It could be me though. I usually paddle out prone with the paddle blade under my chest and the handling sticking out and up to the front. My timing has become much better so I go between the sets - self preservation...

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
It would be tough to turtle a SUP especially when holding on to the paddle. A handle on the tail that you hold in one hand and paddle in the other hand with your back to the wave as it hits. If it's too big no choice but to just let go of the board making sure no one's behind you.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:16:53 AM »
I was pretty successful recently turtle rolling in shoulder/head high, except with the tail of the board (9x33) facing forward. It wasn't what I was going for, but after getting tumbled it was just the position I was in when the next wave came in. I tried it out a couple times, worked well, so added it to the play book. Just gotta be mindful of the fins...grab the rail, not the fins or leash. Wouldn't recommend for larger surf/boards. For that I +1 the superman + ditch technique if its clear behind.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
A tail handle that won't catch your fingers is a big benefit. It takes time to turn the board away from the wave, so it's not always useful, but I find it a necessity for big surf. After the pounding is done the board is right there, so you can get up and out fast. With smaller boards I can whip them around pretty quickly. It's a rare wave that makes me let go, even though my current handles are just a little block of black OC seat foam with an undercut on one side.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
To me, turtle roll means board upside down facing the incoming wave with me hanging vertically on to the front 1/3 of the board with both hands.  Hard to do while also hanging on to a paddle.  Usually easier for me to stuff the paddle under my body and try to shoot over the foam ball.

BTW, if the surf is so heavy that I feel the need to turtle roll, the last thing I would want is the paddle attached to my shorts.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 07:08:49 PM »
I haven't tested a tail handle in anything more than 8-10' yet but I can't believe anything is going to work better. I throw my right forearm over the tail with the paddle in a death grip parallel to the rail. I just hook my left fingers over the handle, not a full finger and thumb grip. Just before the wave hits you tombstone the board by pulling down on the handle and pushing down with your forearm. It puts the fins facing away from you and the wave drives the board down and back so it cancels out much of its own energy...makes big waves seem small.

I have a couple different handles. The Surfco EZ Grip and one I made using the EZ plugs. The one I made is actually safer and better I think. Paracord (with almost no slack) between the plugs with a thin pool noodle over it and the whole thing wrapped in duct tape. Makes for an easy to grab soft handle that can't trap your hand or fingers. After foolishly grabbing my leash (only board without a handle... :P ) Wednesday and dislocating my finger I will not go out in bigger surf again without a tail handle.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:20:57 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Gaucho

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »
I have the Surfco EZ handles on two of my SUS boards.  They work great...put your back to wave, grab handle and push down on tail as wave hits

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
A tail handle that won't catch your fingers is a big benefit. It takes time to turn the board away from the wave, so it's not always useful, but I find it a necessity for big surf. After the pounding is done the board is right there, so you can get up and out fast. With smaller boards I can whip them around pretty quickly. It's a rare wave that makes me let go, even though my current handles are just a little block of black OC seat foam with an undercut on one side.

I have the Surfco EZ handles on two of my SUS boards.  They work great...put your back to wave, grab handle and push down on tail as wave hits

I also have the Surfco EZ handle on the tail of all my boards.  This came as a result of the tail handle threads on this forum.  Tail handles have saved me time and have significantly reduced the stress of getting worked on the way back out; I simply point nose to shore with fins down, only grab handle with tips of fingers (i.e. never wrap hand or fingers), keep slight bend in arm but stay away from fins, hold paddle at top with other hand (T handle gripped with two fingers on each side and blade pointed to shore).

Let wave pass through and get gently pulled back to surface as the body acts as a sea anchor.  Never had a finger degloved, broken, or torn off yet, as some on this forum have.

Thanks to PonoBill, Sam Pae, Kayadogg, Strand Leper and many other Zoners for the great tail handle research and advice. 

I can't even imagine trying--or wanting--to turtle an SUP.  Can't really see the point when a tail handle is just a far, far superior way to deal with controlling the board.  Yes, in really big surf all bets are off, but it works so well that I have sung the tail handle praises many times to other SUSers; I'm amazed so few have seen the light.

I was planning on taking pictures of my handles, but Gaucho's picture pretty much nails it.  Mine look the same.

Wouldn't leave home without it....and wouldn't bother to turtle a SUP.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:39:59 PM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »
"...even though my current handles are just a little block of black OC seat foam with an undercut on one side....

Bill, again, thanks for your posts on this subject.  You made your point crystal clear with your, "guys, put a fu**ing tail handle on your boards" comment a while back.  I figured that when smart, experienced guys who surf Hawaii say that is the way to go, I ceased mulling over turtling, grabbing leash savers, etc. as mechanisms to control the board in surf.  Any new board I acquire gets a tail handle immediately, and I have several friends who now also do the same.

If you have already posted a picture of that OC foam made into a tail handle, can you send the link to it?   I think that would be better than the Surfco handles.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:42:53 PM by The Kernel »

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
The first time I ever surfed (I was about 9 yrs old) my friend who was teaching me says, "to go through a wave that's breaking, just roll upside down as you go through." Well I did it, but my timing was a little off. The wave broke right on my board. My hands immediately slipped of and I got a board slammed into my face. Back then I had a small 7'2 fish. That was a short board then, but pretty big for a 9 year old. Even a duck dive wasn't possible with that big of a board. I would just roll it on edge going through the wash. When I started SUP surfing, I just naturally rolled the big 11'6 board on edge when I got stuck inside battling the wash.

I usually roll the board so my right elbow is bent over the top of the board, and my left elbow is partially wrapped around underside holding the paddle. I find holding the board closer to the nose will save your shoulder from injury by letting the board slip through your arms if the force is that great. With the board on edge there is not much lift, so the board knifes through the wash pretty well. I do this with my race boards as well. This keeps you and your board going in the right direction too.

On my dedicated surf SUP I too have a tail handle. It works great, and has saved my ass numerous times. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 12:05:02 AM »
Handles seems to be a recurring theme, guess I'll have to try one. 

Anyone tried a DIY T-Bar attached to the second leash plug? I'm thinking a 4 inch section of half inch pvc, some parachute cord, and some creative knot tying.

I've tried the turtle thing without much luck.  As a general rule, if I can't scratch out between waves, I don't even try to punch out.  I'll either hold onto the tail by the rail saver or catch the white water in and wait for the set to pass.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »
Handles seems to be a recurring theme, guess I'll have to try one. 

Anyone tried a DIY T-Bar attached to the second leash plug? I'm thinking a 4 inch section of half inch pvc, some parachute cord, and some creative knot tying.

I've tried the turtle thing without much luck.  As a general rule, if I can't scratch out between waves, I don't even try to punch out.  I'll either hold onto the tail by the rail saver or catch the white water in and wait for the set to pass.

BTS:

I think some people on the Zone had tried the T-Bar concept and eventually came back to the handle deal.  Do a search of the topic "tail handle" on the Zone and you'll get all the scoop--the technical innovations, the pictures, the musings, the disagreements, and I believe some photos of damaged and removed fingers from attempts to control the board the wrong way.

It's a good education and has no doubt saved fingers and prevented other injuries to both SUP surfers and others around them in the lineup. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:26:32 AM by The Kernel »

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
"Thanks to PonoBill, Sam Pae, Kayadogg, Strand Leper and many other Zoners for the great tail handle research and advice." 
+10

I use a Dakine Raptor Heelstrap affixed with NSI Surface Mount Inserts. Combined, they provide a safe handle and a clean install. They can be found at:

http://www.dakine.com/search?keyword=Raptor%20Heelstrap
and
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=236&idcategory=93

Recently rented a board in Costa Rica and really missed the handle.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal