Author Topic: Learn how to fix your dings... it's FUN  (Read 5707 times)

supthecreek

Learn how to fix your dings... it's FUN
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »
I could post this in the Shape Shack... but they already know how to fix stuff.
This is here, for the rest of the hacks, like me :D

I was clueless how to fix SUPs.
The last finbox I needed replaced took a month, so I decided to learn.

I asked questions here in the "Shape Shack"
I watched videos on YouTube
I studied the entire "Boardlady" website... everything you need to understand is here:
http://www.boardlady.com/

After a long delay, I took a router to my pristine board (defective 2-piece Futures Center Finbox leaked)
I made some mistakes with the router... but HEY... it's foam and fiberglass.... they make more everyday :o

After the initial destruction of my board, the rest was fun and not difficult at all.

I wanted to become comfortable doing repairs, so that I don't have to sweat the occasional damage. Super glad I did.

I know that there are lots of sites with this info, by experts.... but I'm posting my repair pics to show how a rank amateur can  survive the learning curve.

It took about 4 hours work (mostly hand sanding) and a few overnights for drying times.  (there was a swell running while I did it)

Try it.... you'll like it!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learn how to fix your dings... it's FUN
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
Nice job.

Rule number one--as soon as you know you have enough hotcoat on (one set of brushstrokes every 45 degrees), throw the extra epoxy away. Pour it on top of the trash in your trashcan and disperse it so it won't get too hot.

If you don't throw it away, you'll put it on your board. Everyone does it. toss it.

And you don't have to say "defective" when you say "two piece fin box". That's redundant.

Was that a chinook box you put in? Didn't look like it. If you have to replace a finbox again, get a chinook. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that thinks they are the only choice.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 03:54:56 AM »
Thanks!

ha ha... I hear you... shoulda thrown it out and had dinner. It was an attempt to blend my "Sharpie" with the real Vector Net

It was a Furtures "Strongbox" (one piece)... apparently they know the 2 piece sucks, so now they have 2 options: 1 that fails & 1 that works

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:53:55 AM »
Nice repair! Was the strong box originally set in divinycell? If so, did you use the same block or cut out a new one?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
Here are two little carpenters tricks to keep glues or resins from sticking to forms or weights that are not intended to be stuck to the repair.

1. Wax paper as a separator.
2. Talcum powder.

When I bend a stair rail or do curved wood laminates that will have a lot of glue squeezing out, I coat the surface of the outer finished wood and all my clamp plinths with Talcum powder. Nothing sticks to it. With fiberglass repairs or epoxy in general, the wax paper works best.

Really nice job Creek!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 11:10:29 AM »
Nice tutorial, Supthecreek.

Are we going to have debates now whether magic marker webbing is as strong as the real thing?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
So funny, before I scrolled all the way down, I was thinking of the sharpie trick.  Works well on pinlines too.  I have used my daughters extensive collection of water based magic markers to "color match" repairs on my resin tinted Angulo.  It works remarkably well, and it's instant.

Nice tutorial and a good repair.  Clear packing tape on jigs and templates keeps them from sticking where the shouldn't.

AG

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »
c & s...I routed a piece of foam - actually not divinycell - stronger, made for boat building, and set the finbox in it with Gorilla glue... see pic

TD - good tips, I never even considered that the glue would come out all over the boards and glue it all together.... an oversight for sure :D

Cheat.... no contest.... my Sharpie lines are MUCH stronger than Vector Net  ;)

ag... it must be a Cape Cod thing ;D ;D ;D

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
wow... I guess it knew #2 was a repeat. :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
I haven't figured out how much the gorilla glue is going expand.   It's one of the great mystery ' s of the universe.
It's not overhead to me!

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
How could you tell the center fin box was compromised?  (Want to know what I should be on the lookout for...) 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 06:21:06 PM »
I'm going to guess, water dripping out?
It's not overhead to me!

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »
dietlin, when I was driving home, water kept dripping on my windshield. When I took it off my car, water water came out of the finbox slot.
Next day, I left it upside down, to drain ALL the water from the finbox before putting it on my car, when I got home, the slot was full of water. I looked in and saw the glue in the bottom of the slot and did some research... I was in disbelief when I found out that the fools at Futures made a 2 piece finbox... for SUP, with all the flexing that goes on, how could they think that was a good Idea? What's worse is, they still sell them  ::)

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »
TD... my theory was... leave a bit of space, so the excess has an outlet :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 08:46:33 PM »
I love this. I think everyone should mess around a bit like this. Great job on a pretty extensive repair.

I surfed my homemade twin keels today and they were a blast. Need to contribute a thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal