Author Topic: Proners swarmed our SUP peak - now I know why....  (Read 7268 times)

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Proners swarmed our SUP peak - now I know why....
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
Funny. This pic has been floating around the info web , some claiming it was taken in NSW Australia.  Not sure but we sure have shahks that big in our line up. I try not to think about them but remain conscious of their presence. Either way that a big fish.
Geoff C.

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »
Geoff... my buddy said the spotter plane circled them till the Shark Research boat got there and pointed to the shark. I imagine that the plane takes lots of pictures for the research vessel, so I am assuming that is how they got the shot.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »
What I would like to know is if any of the people on the water knew that it was there because from the photo it looks like one was paddling straight toward the shark. That's either cajónes the size of watermelons or blissful ignorance.

Marginally related fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZysGKN_Bs

(2012 commercial for a Danish cell phone company)
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 05:26:29 AM »
Fair enough Creeky man. I am certainly not down playing it for sure, people get hold of a cool pic on the info net and then well you know what happens. There are plenty of shark friends to go around. ;D

Geoff... my buddy said the spotter plane circled them till the Shark Research boat got there and pointed to the shark. I imagine that the plane takes lots of pictures for the research vessel, so I am assuming that is how they got the shot.
Geoff C.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »
Evidently that pic IS from Australia. You might want to ask whoever sent it to you why they claimed it was the Cape. Also heard from someone that is friends with one of the guys on the research boat that the shark on the Cape never went near the surfers. 3rd hand story but but I'd assume a shark researcher might be less prone to sensational story telling. Funny how things grow. Of course who knows...maybe the news story is wrong...they are actually more likely to sensationalize a story than anyone.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2764562/Surfer-s-worst-nightmare-Drone-footage-captures-massive-shark-circling-paddle-boarders-water-chases-school-fish.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:20:19 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »
I didn't think that looked like seals. People are so weird.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »
I found out last night that it was a scam photo that one of the A team proners, who actually was part of the group surfing where the spotter plane was circling.
The guy who told me is legit and the back story did happen.

However.... one of the surfers present, posted this picture on his FB page the next day. He let everyone believe it was shot during the encounter. He came clean last night.... he was just a prank.

Sorry... I have great respect for the surfers in the story... it happened, I just didn't expect to be pranked by him on the picture.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal