Author Topic: Windproof wetsuits?  (Read 6202 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Windproof wetsuits?
« on: September 19, 2014, 02:45:41 AM »
Cold weather SUP downwinding, kiting, windsurfing, and worse, hanging around wet in cold wind, is when one gets cold. The wet outer fabric of a double-lined suit evaporating in the wind is the logical source of the chill so my next cold weather wetsuit would be better off windproof, right?

Anyone tried the ION (Nexkin), Neil Pryde (Mesh) or other version of smooth skin windproof?

Some add a lycra over their full wetsuit in the hope of adding windproofness. I can't really see how this helps as a wet lycra in the wind is kind of cooling. Are there any stretchy but windproof lycra's one could add on top of a classic double-lined wetsuit?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:52:18 AM by yugi »

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Windproof wetsuits?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 07:11:30 AM »
I have the excel version and its very warm and light.

I would not want to stand around in the cold with it on. I have a overcoat called surf fur that I wear over the wetsuit when standing around between windsurfing sessions. A wetsuit when being used is warm because your body is heating the trapped water and the wind is blocked by the neoprene. Stop producing the heat and a wetsuit will lower your core
to a hypothermic state in a short time. I know because I used a wetsuit on a cold rainy day drift boat fishing trip. I ended up rowing the whole trip to make heat. I was blue and learned a lesson the hard way.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »
If you're not spending a lot of time in the water, a drysuit is a better option IMHO.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:56:22 PM »
If you are DWing you can use a breathable semi-dry paddling top, sailing jacket or kayak cagoule. They weigh next to nothing but are brilliant at keeping the wind off allowing you to go thinner with your wetsuit. The semi-dry ones designed for paddling are great because the cut allows freedom of movement, but some sailing tops with advanced fabrics do too. Using one of these means that when you stop paddling you don't get cold.

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »
I use an inexpensive and very thin wind breaker jacket and pants over a neoprene bottom.  Keeps the wind off, and weighs nothing, doesn't cost much.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »
I've thought of the light windbreaker over a wet suit for a few years now.

I have a smooth skin O'neill beavertail that is my favorite jacket ever but know that I only really get a season or two before they start to break down. There's a reason that they put an outer layer on.

I'm betting a poly top under the suit would help. I'm looking at hydro skin this Winter.

I'm also curious about the never wet coatings. Could we use hydrophobic coatings to keep us warmer?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »
I always liked 40% smoothie suits from ProMotion while kiting, but got a couple of these 100% smoothies last fall.  I cut one into a shortie. 

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/store/index.php/products/wetsuit-clearance-sale/used-fullsuit-wetsuit

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

tbsurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
I have used Neil Pryde wetsuits for windsuring & SUP for years.  The smooth skin is way warmer than nylon, particularly if there is any wind.  Early morning offshore winds go right through a typical surfing wetsuit.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 09:58:34 PM »
In my windsurfing days, I used to use the cheap running windbreaker over my full wetsuit between sessions. Worked well

Now, on cold Downwind days, I use a 3mm "farmer john" type wetsuit with full legs (i.e. no shoulders / sleeves) with a light fleece on top + semi drysuit kayaking top over the fleece. Works really well, as keeps the shoulders free from tight wetsuit material, and me warm in the wind. It has dry suit cuffs at the neck and wrists and then sort of seals at the waist using velcro at both sides. Does not keep the water out if you are submerged for any period, but falling off, and getting back on quickly works well.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal